Getting to know you...

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Boots
A selfsufficientish Regular

Getting to know you...

Have noticed a lot of newbies coming in, and thought it might be good to encourage a few posts. Have put together a bit of a questionnaire thingy that is meant to be a bit of fun... feel free to copy and paste and add your own answers.

What nickname did you have as a kid?

What did you want to be when you were "all growed up"?

What do you do for work now?

Who introduced you to Selfsufficientish thinking?

What was the first thing you ever planted?

What was the first food you ever caught to eat?

What was the first thing you ever dismantled?

What is under your bed?

What is on your mouse pad?

What scares you?

What gave you your last big belly-laugh?

What is the first thing you see when you walk out your back door?

What did you eat for tea last night?

What charity/ies do you support?

What is your least favourite chore/job around the house?

If you were to be banished to an island for 2 years, and could take one person with you, Who would you take and why?

What was the last CD that you bought?

What was the last gift you were given that you really didn't want? And what did you do with it?

What is the most annoying thing you do (according to your mate/mum/kid/neighbour etc.)?

What is your favourite drink?

Where is your favourite place in the whole wide world?
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

its always been Fee.

many many things - a nurse, a vet, a forensic pathologist, a journalist, a translator, a lawyer. now i'm going to be a body artist (basically a piercer, but i don't like the connotations of the word).

i work for fedex as an associate export broker

My mum says it was my great grandma, she had a habit of sticking stuff in the earth to see what would happen. I have to say i found Ish through google. I think i was looking for self sufficient websites, and this one jumped out at me!!

Sunflowers and asparagus when i was trying to get my Brownie gardening badge!

Cod, it was marvellous poached in milk!

Everything! I've always had a habit of taking things apart to see how they work.

What is under your bed?
I've recently got a bed with drawers and shelves underneath, so there's the umm..'pleasure drawer' as my ex used to put it, there's the dvd drawer, my teeshirts, my lush stash and cloth bags and there are shelves with books on, and rat food, and crafty stuff that i can't fit in the trunk!!

here, its fair trade from the Co-op, at home its a recycled tyre one.

What scares you?
Air raid sirens and Wasps - only the divebombing kind though.

can't remember...

my aviary with my cockatiel, Punky and two budgies (bird 1 and bird 2, we forgot their names a long while ago!!).

i had an indian take-away last night, so i had chicken Kashmir - the one with cream and coconut and banana in it with pilau rice, poppadum, chapati and peshwari naan.

Premature baby charities and animal charities, except the RSPCA. I was born 9 weeks early, so without the premature baby charirites, i wouldn't be here. We had a couple of dogs from the RSPCA, but lately, they've been useless, i prefer Battersea Dogs Home, or the Dogs' trust now.

Emptying the dishwasher. I hate the smell of the things my mum uses. i've tried to get her to use ecover... And hoovering, i hate the sound, and ironing - its boring!!

If you were to be banished to an island for 2 years, and could take one person with you, Who would you take and why?
By person, are we talking creature? Cos i'd have to take Finlay. Umm...probably my dad actually, he's handy round the house and would let me do what i wanted with the garden. And finlay would be pleased he's there!!

HIM - The Dark Light Special Edition Tin. I pre-ordered it and everything.

What was the last gift you were given that you really didn't want? And what did you do with it?
Eeek, i tend to make use of any gifts because i know someone has though of me by sending it, so i do my best to make sure that i appreciate it somehow!!

What is the most annoying thing you do (according to your mate/mum/kid/neighbour etc.)?
make a mess!! i'm not the tidiest of people.

Jack Daniels!

This si so difficult. For pure atmosphere, the Great Wall in China, or Behai Park in beijing. For general place, hatfield forest probably.

Karen_Grace
Tom Good
Tom Good

Getting to know you

Silvercryn :- It was the name of a shampoo which had a lot of adverts on tv at the time. I had a natural blonde streak in my hair which stood out as I was quite dark. Also Egore ( I dont know why, and I dont think I want to!)

I wanted to be a secret agent like James Bond (only female)

I'm a potter, but I'm employed by the local college as a lecturer teaching art and craft. I'm also a partner in a tattoo and piercing studio. My bloke is the tattooist and I'm the aprentice.

I dont know! My dad has always been really handy doing DIY and all his own car repairs and I'm the same in that respect. No one introduced me to gardening, I just wanted to do it, I probably saw it on TV.

Spuds and string beans. I was about 15 and I cant remember why I wanted to do it.

I was 50 last month and I'm ashamed to say that this is something I have never done :oops:

The last thing I dismantled was an electric drill. I cant remember the first thing, but it was probably a watch, since my grandad used to fix them.
What is under your bed?
:oops: Ditto Fee! :oops:
My pleasure drawer runs the whole length of the bed!

There isnt one. We've got a rolly ball.

What scares you?
My ex's driving. Sometimes he takes us to the cinema (which is really sweet of him) but I'm thinking "I should have made a will" all the way there. Apart from that I have pretty thick skin!

Havn't had one of those for ages, but I tittered at Clerk 2 with J and silent Bob last night and Father Ted kills me! Dirty Rotten Scoundrells when Steve Martin played Ruprect.

My shed! I'm very proud of it! I designed and built it myself.

Home made vegetable curry.

I was with FOE for years, but had to pull out when funds got really low. Now I support local charity shops by passing on things Ive finished with. I'm also a member of the local Freecycle group (if that counts)

All of them!

It would have to be my lovely partner Malc, because I would be so unhappy if he wasn't there. My next choice would be Ray Meers, because I may actually survive if he was there.

10,000 days by Tool

Bath salts. We've got a combi gas heater. The central heating works but the hot water doesn't, it hasnt worked for about 5 yrs. We use the electric shower to keep clean and I use the kettle to do the washing up. I've kept the bath salts in the hope that I may be able to have a bath once the tattoo parlour takes off ( this is our second year so people are getting to know about us now)

My partner Malc says that if he has an idea I always come up with some reason why it might not work.

Red wine

Cornwall.
Karen

Kev
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Ted, Is what my brothers and sisters used to call me when i was young. And at work present day they refer to me as rodney the plonker.

I never really thought about that as a kid. I did always want to become a writer. never happened :lol:

I work as a carpenters mate basically a labourer. Not enjoying it to much but pays the bills.

Cant really think of anyone. I just thought i would try growing my own veg and its gone one from there.

First thing i ever planted was cress. Used to grow it in the kitchen window when i was a youngster and still do to this day.

Rabbit. On a camping trip with a friend.

Cant think of anything.

What is under your bed?
Fishing rod, Half empty bottle of jack. hmm dont no what thats doing there. Theres a few books and thats about it.

Mulder and Scully bit of an x-files geek :oops:

What scares you?
slugs. also i dont usually say this online but i have a huge fear of the dark and have done since i was kid

Peter kay. my sister gave me his dvd.

Jinx. My ferret

Fish and chips. From the chippy

None at the moment. But have give to varies charities in the past.

hoovering, Thats about it i dont mind doing me chores.

Thats a good one. hmm cant really think of anyone, So Ill take my dog.

Johnny cash at Folsom prison. My friends find it very strange that at 22 years of age I listen to Cash and Buddy Holly but what can i say they rock. Have been listening to brothers in arms by dire straits alot lately, Really powerful song.

Cant think of one.

I sure i have loads but at the moment cant think of one.

A nice pint of ale.

Home.

Thanks Boots for the questions really got me thinking. :cheers:

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ann Pan (from my brother) but at school I was called anything that rymes with Ann : Ann the man, Ann the toilet pan, Ann the Bam...ahhh school days, the best days of your life (ha)

A vet, A farmer, A pig breeder (I love wee piglets - and bacon - yum) then when I was older I wanted to be in entertainment management... I did and it sucked.

Now I am a full time mum (though I am on Mat. leave from a shop, but I aqm not going back) Just about to move house to run a huge back garden of growing... eventually.

HFW probably, not personally, but I was inspired by him. Also a bit of rebelion against my mum, who is usless at growing fruit and veg, and tells me its not worth the effort... I'll show her.

Peas, from a pack of dried supermarket peas. when I was 9(ish) Yummy, I still love fresh raw peas :mrgreen:

Never have :oops: I don't like fish and don't have the stomach to kill anything else... I am curently strugeling with the hipocracy of eating meat but not being willing to kill it. I might describe myself as a semi-vegitarian.

A record player, A TV, A VCR, I can't remember what was first, but I did all these when I was about 11.

What is under your bed?
A workbench, 1/2 pack of laminate flooring, bed sheets, a kitchen unit, some wooly jumpers. We have limited storage space in the flat so its the loft we never had under there, no pleasure drawer I'm afraid.

Got a laptop with a touch pad (but I do have a mini Elmo one somewhere)

What scares you?
the child-catcher, balloons, Spiders freak me out, though I am no actually 'scared' as such,

What gave you your last big belly-laugh? Dodgeball (possibly) but lots of things do, I have an 'active' sense of humour.

At the moment it is a tree and alot of brick walls and paving slabs of the comunal back court, soon it will be a huge unwieldy garden with alot of trees, grass, and some swings :mrgreen:

Pasta and with home made tomato sauce

Comic relief and Oxfam regularly, though I do consider others occasionally.

Cleaning the cat litter

My husband because I couldn't live with out him - I am assuming that it is one of Bransons private islands in the Bahamas and that the staff would still all be there, and there would be stores full of nessesary supplies :lol:

Can't remember, Tracy Chapman possibly.

Suede gloves, they were a bit posh for me, I couldn't really justify keeping them so I asked my husband to take them back to the shop... I now have pressy credit though

leave things at my backside - often when I want to come back to it, then it gets tidied away and I can't find it grrr...

soft drink.... strawberry and banana smoothie, alcoholic... tia maria or a white russian

Glen Nevis, when you go right up along the path to where it opens out it is breathtaking, failing that, my bed.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

9ball
Living the good life
Living the good life

Tom the bomb at primary school, burners at secondary school due to my rather fetching sideburns :D

I still have no idea, that's the best way.

Economics student - hoping to then go on to study to be a primary school teacher.

Mum and Dad always grew veg in the back garden, but had no interest when I got older until I played Harvest Moon on the Gamecube.

I really can't remember I'm afraid, most likely cress at school.

A crab somewhere when I was a kid.

An old digital watch when I was about 7 - I then put it back together to make a (non working!) robot.

What is under your bed?

Bedsheets, spare duvet, baseball bat, and either dog occasionally.

Don't have one, just have a horrible worn bit of desk :S

What scares you?

Heights and horses

Probably something on Hawksbee and Jacobs clips of the week on Talksport.

My new compost bin waiting to be plonked in the corner once the daffodils my girlfriend planted there have flowered, an old plastic box soon to be made into an earthbox, and normally my dogs running around and generally going barmy.

A very nice beef casserole using my homemade wine, bacon, stock and some of the dried bay bollettes I picked in the autumn.

Ones that don't employ people to mollest me in the street.

Tiling the bathroom - it was quite interesting for about 5 minutes.

My lovely girfriend Bekki, providing I can find some way of making chocolate on said island.

The Amazing Adventures of DJ Yoda.

A girly giamante dog collar with charms etc for my dog Norm. It's now waiting for my my new dog Poppy to grow big enough for it.

Throwing myself obsessively into new projects when I've not finished an old one.

A Gin and Tonic on a sunny afternoon, or a good red wine for the other 364 days in the year.

Any woods, but especially ancient woodland.
Tom

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Re: Getting to know you...

What nickname did you have as a kid? - Nothing much. I'm quite tall so "Daddy Long Legs" for a bit.

What did you want to be when you were "all growed up"? - I didn't have any idea so I just drifted. Big mistake!

What do you do for work now? - Accountant (bah!)

Who introduced you to Selfsufficientish thinking? - My mother - we never had much money when I was little so she recycled anything she could. I had all sorts of wierd and wonderful toys made from washing up liquid bottles etc. and all my clothes were made from jumble sale finds. Now I can't bear to throw anything away.

What was the first thing you ever planted? - A carrot top on a saucer in the window sill.

What was the first food you ever caught to eat? - Never caught anything to eat. I'm a dab hand at catching mice that the cats have brought in and released.

What was the first thing you ever dismantled? A watch. Then glued it to a bit of card and made a picture. It all fell off though as the glue wasn't strong enough.

What is under your bed? Handbags - loads of them. Probably a cat as well as she loves it under there

What is on your mouse pad? - Some advertising. I only use ones I get given free.

What scares you? - spiders and tight spaces.

What gave you your last big belly-laugh? - The Salfa Romeaab on Top Gear last night.

What is the first thing you see when you walk out your back door? - My beautiful garden - designed and landscaped by the previous owners of my house. It's gorgeous.

What did you eat for tea last night? - Pancakes with home grown eggs and home grown lemon.

What charity/ies do you support? - I sponser a child in Peru, the Unfairpak Forum (not really a charity but trying to stop others losing out the same way), the RHS and various others as the mood takes me.

What is your least favourite chore/job around the house? - I don't mind doing chores really. It's lovely to see the house sparkly and clean so it's worth the effort.

If you were to be banished to an island for 2 years, and could take one person with you, Who would you take and why? Hmmmm - depends on what was on the island. Do you think Hugh Grant would be up for it?

What was the last CD that you bought? The Jive Aces (can't remember which album though).

What was the last gift you were given that you really didn't want? And what did you do with it? - If I get a present that I can't use then I pass it on to someone who can. Nothing ever gets wasted.

What is the most annoying thing you do (according to your mate/mum/kid/neighbour etc.)? I finish other people's sentances for them when they are speaking. It annoys me, let alone anyone else.

What is your favourite drink? Damson gin with lemonade. Mmmmm.

Where is your favourite place in the whole wide world? - My back garden.

titch7069
Tom Good
Tom Good

What nickname did you have as a kid? titch, and my dad called me botticelli

What did you want to be when you were "all growed up"? aid worker - did that for 10 years when i 'growed up'

What do you do for work now? building an eco-lodge

Who introduced you to Selfsufficientish thinking? my parents always grew veg

What was the first thing you ever planted? sunflower seeds

What was the first food you ever caught to eat? king fish, when i was 11

What was the first thing you ever dismantled? my radio cassette player-i got it for my 11th birthday and dis-mantled it that day, couldn't put it together again so blamed my younger brother!

What is under your bed? nothing, not even dust, i have staff now to do the cleaning, very nice it is, i was rubbish at being a house wife, love cooking etc, hate cleaning.

What is on your mouse pad? don't have one

What scares you? spitting cobras, we have one under the khonde (porch)

What gave you your last big belly-laugh? OH swearing at the generator and taking it apart only to realise that he'd turned off the fuel line the last time we used it.

What is the first thing you see when you walk out your back door? solar batteries

What did you eat for tea last night? crab salad

What charity/ies do you support? whaleshark protection, local orphanage

What is your least favourite chore/job around the house? it used to be cleaning, now pumping water

If you were to be banished to an island for 2 years, and could take one person with you, Who would you take and why? i'm on one now and i took the family

What was the last CD that you bought? green day - american idiot (mind you haven't been to civililization since last august so haven't bought a cd since then

What was the last gift you were given that you really didn't want? And what did you do with it? it's never happened

What is the most annoying thing you do (according to your mate/mum/kid/neighbour etc.)? go deaf when reading

What is your favourite drink? morgan spiced with coke and lime

Where is your favourite place in the whole wide world?right here
Have sold up in the UK, now living on Mafia Island, in the middle of an old coconut plantation. We catch our fish, have chickens, grow fruit and veg. We are powered by solar and an ankur gasifier - no mains elec here!!
My blog is at www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/titch

Boots

Far out Fee... A forensic pathologist!!!! Eeeeeeeeeeeeewww!!! You one of those kids who collected bugs and stuff in jars and watched em die?? :mrgreen:

... My brother did that... and I used to run around when he wasn't watching and let them all out! "Be free my pretties..."

Karen_Grace... Well, you mate are the salt of the earth. Life would be nuffin without a shed. It has me absolutely baffled how folks live without one. Over the years, each house move has meant a bigger shed...lol... now we have a 3 bay barn, a 1 bay industrial height and another massive hanger we can park about 3 vehicles in at a time - AND I STILL NEED MORE ROOM!!

Kev... I've been thinking, and i reckon the dog on the island would have to be a much more peaceful option to a person too... Living 24/7 with one person would most likely have me swimming off into the sunset to greet the sharks after a while, I figure. Dire straights, yeah tis powerful.

Annpan... What on earth is the child catcher? Tis giving me the heebies just putting the two words together... Is it some sort of boogie man, or was it a legend or real stalker??? Balloons scare you? I woke up the other day and the girls had covered me in balloons for my birthday. I was asleep on the couch and they staticked them all to me while i was asleep. It was pretty funny (for them), because the more i tried to push them off the more they kept sticking to me... I have weird kids...

Well 9ball, you have just reminded me how good those mudcrabs were many years ago when we used to go out early and cook them up for lunch and tea and sit around arguing over what was fair divvies... now my mouth is watering at the memory... thanks for that.. :mrgreen:

I always find that funny Thomzo, when folks finish other peoples sentences... I have a mate with a stutter and lots of folk do it to him. He has a sense of humour but, and manages to throw in some real funnies sometimes, just to prove them wrong. I remember this time he was telling us how he got his leg trapped between a houseboat and the jetty and this guy came over to ask if he needed....[insert stutter and prompts from listeners..... help?.... a hand?... an ambulance?]
Then his stutter stopped and he looked at us all like we were absolute nutters...No, he offered to move the damn boat of my leg! Thank God!!!

...Still makes me laugh. :mrgreen:

Anyways, heaps good getting to know you all... heaps of interesting stuff... we are a motley crew, but that the secret to sish's success i reckon.. Sssh. Don't tell anyone, but!
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

What nickname did you have as a kid? Pip

What did you want to be when you were "all growed up"? A chef (or train driver/tractor driver when I was very little)

What do you do for work now? I'm a molecular biologist

Who introduced you to Selfsufficientish thinking? Tom & Barbara Good (when I was little)

What was the first thing you ever planted? Probably cress, in recent memory Tomatos

What was the first food you ever caught to eat? Tomatos (they can roll quite fast)

What was the first thing you ever dismantled? a model train

What is under your bed? dust & carpet

What is on your mouse pad? No mouse mat, just home renovated & waxed wooden table

What scares you? I have a spider phobia and am scared of the way the world is going!

What gave you your last big belly-laugh? Eddie Izzard 4 DVD box set

What is the first thing you see when you walk out your back door? Don't have a back door :( Out of the front door it's the wheelie bins, usually overflowing from the rubbish my neighbours produce and then round the corner my tiny patch of garden :)

Potato, pepper, bacon and carrot hotchpotch in white wine and sour cream

What charity/ies do you support? Any that don't attack me in the street

What is your least favourite chore/job around the house? Washing dishes

If you were to be banished to an island for 2 years, and could take one person with you, Who would you take and why? My OH, Emma, providing she wanted to come

What was the last CD that you bought? Kate Rusby, Little Stars

What was the last gift you were given that you really didn't want? And what did you do with it? Don't think I've ever had one

What is the most annoying thing you do (according to your mate/mum/kid/neighbour etc.)? I correct people (although I'm learning how not too)

What is your favourite drink? Hot chocolate in cold weather, guiness in hot

Scotland and Ireland (Glens of Antrim)

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

The child catcher is from chitty chitty bang bang, the movie, he is not in the novel (by Ian Flemming) the screen play was writen by Roald Dahl who invented the child-catcher. He lewers children into a cage by offering them free ice cream and sweeties, and goes around saying 'lolly-pops' in a rather scary way
picture of him - here
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Boots, this is an ace thread!!

karen, i'm jealous, i want a pleasure drawer that big!! I think the next prospective bloke might be a bit put off though...

Thomzo: what's unfairpak? i've seen it about but never known what it was about.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

the.fee.fairy wrote: karen, i'm jealous, i want a pleasure drawer that big!! I think the next prospective bloke might be a bit put off though...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(how much fun can you have in a drawer..........................on second thoughts, don't tell me i don't want to know! :wink:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Scrake
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Psycho Tomato (because I tended towards tantrums!)

A doctor or scientist

Still a student! Six years so far studying Engineering

My parents.

I think I remember growing thyme and chives in my first wee patch of 'garden'.

Never done so, not unless you are counting catching scrumped apples as they are dislodged from the tree!

Hrm, don't really remember. I'm not the mechanical type, at all.

What is under your bed?
Dust, novels, hairbobbles

At work I have a "Get Home Safe" campaign mousemat, which urges me not to get into alcohol induced fisticuffs. Must be ever so effective, since I never have :wink:

At home, no mousemat as I have a laptop with a trackpad.

What scares you?
Peak Oil, finding a career I like, growing up, nightmares (In Madrid, I once woke a hostel full of people with a bloodcurdling scream, but remembered nothing in the morning. Not popular at breakfast)

Hot Fuzz (new-ish Simon Pegg film)

Heaps of glass bottles piled for recycling :oops:
My excuse is that we've only had kerbside recycling for a month so far, and before that it meant lugging them to the Co-op. We've enough to fill the weekly box a dozen times over :drunken:

Fake chicken roast, baked potato, homegrown purple sprouting broccoli with goat's cheese grated on top. Oh and date and walnut sponge pudding. Nyummen. I like going to the prontals for Sunday dinner.

Those that run Good Gifts, and the Big Issues sellers. I also try and donate a little extra when I buy charity shop books (so if that counts War on Want and Oxfam)

Cleaning the shower

Would have to be my boyfriend, for reasons both practical and romantic. I'd rather be banished with a handpicked corwd of about 20 though!

Regina Spektor, Begin To Hope

Plastic Magic Vases (sorry Mum!) They are in the pile for donation to the charity shop.

Tickle and tease incessantly.

Coffee and gin tie for the top spot, wine rates a close second

Tough question. I love the Alhambra and could spend years there.

Excellent idea for a post!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

the.fee.fairy wrote:Boots, this is an ace thread!!

karen, i'm jealous, i want a pleasure drawer that big!! I think the next prospective bloke might be a bit put off though...

Thomzo: what's unfairpak? i've seen it about but never known what it was about.
Hi
I must say I agree with you about this thread this is a great way of learning about the other people on this forum.

The Unfairpak forum was set up by a group of former Farepak customers who all lost money when the company collapsed last October. I joined because I used to work there so could help them with technical stuff.

The website has been a great help in explaining the technicalities of the administration/liquidation to customers. Now they are campaigning to have the law changed so that when a company goes under, people who have paid deposits for goods they've never received will have more rights. Ideally it would be good to force companies who take deposits in advance to be more responsible with their customers' money. Innocent people have lost millions with the collapses of companies like Courts and Olan Mills as well as Farepak.

As for a pleasure drawer!!!! Maybe that's why I'm still single. Perhaps I need one. Can we start a 101 things to put in one thread? :lol:

Cheers
Zoe