The most amazing thing...

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Boots
A selfsufficientish Regular

The most amazing thing...

I need to share what happened today, because it was truly amazing and I am still reeling.

Day before last, I got a phone call from a lady who lives about 600km away and she asks after me and wants to know how things are going. I tell her things are pretty good... hectic in the lead up to Christmas, but going pretty well. She asks after a friend of mine, and I tell her she is well but has been having a bit of a rough time financially but is still grinning.

She tells me she wants to give us both a Christmas hamper, and I say, "Oh how lovely!" and the conversation just kind of meanders on.

Today she rings and tells me to grab my mate and meet her about an hour away for coffee as she is on her way north for work. So off we go, to catch up with her. She gets out of her car dressed in all her Christmas stuff... shirt and earrings and whatnot and I jokingly say she looks like Santa's little helper. She throws open her boot and it is ABSOLUTELY overflowing with Christmas food, decorations, table dressings, pressies... the works!

I ask her what she's up to, as I figured she must have been delivering to half the state. She tells us its for us, and I was just TOTALLY GOBSMACKED. I just stare at her and she's grinning her head off. She works with an organisation called OzCare and she allocated two hampers that resembled truckloads for each of us because she said, "There comes a time when its nice to give back".

For many years, my girls and I have delivered gifts to the young and the aged, collected toys on bike runs, prepared hampers for others and held orphans Christmas lunches. Christmas has always been a great time for us and we like giving and sharing it.

To actually be on the receiving end absolutely blew me away. Both my mate and I were so thrilled, we were speechless and immediately began imagining the looks on our kids faces when we arrived home with all these goodies. My kids were jibbery jabbery little bundles of joy!

We drove home so grateful, and the feeling has stayed with me all night. I always thought it made me feel good to give and just know that I have made someone smile, or brightened up someone's day, but today I realised exactly what we are giving when do something random at Christmas....

Someone else's random gift has left me feeling worthwhile and appreciated, and special - because someone thought of me and felt I deserved something special. That was such a HUGE gift... and I doubt I will ever forget this feeling.

I hope this doesn't sound like I am flaunting my luck, because that is not my intention, I just wanted to try and share this feeling, and maybe it might prompt a bit more random giving. There are so many people who deserve a cheer at Christmas, and maybe if we can all just find one person to cheer on, we will be helping share the joy. Merry Christmas all!
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

Shirley

Awwwww Boots that is just wonderful. What a truly lovely thing to do and yeah, you are right, it makes you realise just how much it means to help someone in whatever way you can.

You've done so much - and do you know, the best thing about the things you have done is that you haven't ever boasted about it. Too often people do things for others just so that they can reap the brownie points and gloat about it... you do it because you WANT to, because you LIKE doing it, because you are a beautiful person. Not only that, you are passing on that quality to your girls too.

Enjoy your Christmas..ALL of you.

Sat here typing now with a big soppy grin on my face... awwww that lady didn't just touch your heart at Christmas, but I'm guessing that she'll have touched the heart of everyone that reads this post whether they like Christmas or not.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Merry

Ditto that soppy grin! :lol:
Happy for you and yours Boots old chap! :cheers:

dibnah
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

you sound like you have deserved that good fortune, good luck to you and your family. have a great christmas.

red

how cool!

keep that good feeling with you for as long as you can
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

monkeynuts
Tom Good
Tom Good

Boots that is so lovely. I was also sat here with a silly grin...without realising til Shirley said!!!

It's people like you that pass on the true meaning of Christmas...keep smiling and enjoy your well earned prezzies :angel13:
xxx Mrs G xxx
Neeps The friendly forum

HILLDREAMER90
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

You reap what you sow!! Think u deserve your good fortune. Enjoy :cheers: :cheers:
DONT NOTICE THE TINY FLEA IN THE OTHER PERSONS HAIR AND OVERLOOK THE LUMBERING YAK ON YOUR OWN NOSE.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, Mate! What goes around comes around and it sounds like you've earned it! I love stories like this, they keep the rest of us going!

Great share, Boots,

Thanks,

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

The Chili Monster

Wombat wrote:
Yes, Mate! What goes around comes around and it sounds like you've earned it! I love stories like this, they keep the rest of us going!
That's to you, Boots, and your girls (including Zara, of course!). Enjoy this Christmas. You all absolutely deserve this. Nev's right, what goes around ...
Thanks for all your support, the banter -they truly broke the mould with you.

Have a good one ...
"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

That is so great Boots :wink:

You deserve it. Have an extra wonderful Christmas and keep passing on the smiles.

Anna x :flower:
Just when you think you're in it up to your neck & it can't get any worse, something craps on your head.

Boots

Don't know what to say now.

Bugger. :oops:

Thankyou for all the kind words!
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Wombat wrote:What goes around comes around...
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Millymollymandy

Look, even us Bah Humbug types are touched. :lol: Have a good Christmas Boots and enjoy all that stuff! You deserve it! :cheers:

digiveg
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Fantastic story! Karma works, innit -
When my pursuit of freedom causes harm to another living being, it becomes a dictatorship.

Rough Jack
Tom Good
Tom Good

Gidday

Good onya mate.

Sometimes it can be hard to receive what we normally give but this sounds just so bloody great.
Cheers
Jack