Self Isolation

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Self Isolation

I think that the distance refers to walking rather than going to the supermarket folks. It's supposed to stop us all going to the seaside to self isolate.

Flo

There's an eerie shortage of spam/scam telephone calls these last five days. As I'm at home more I notice that the landline is silent.

Flo

There's an eerie shortage of spam/scam telephone calls these last five days. As I'm at home more I notice that the landline is silent.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

How's everyone doing?

:grouphug:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ina

Thanks for asking - I'm ok. Officially furloughed now. Not feeling that great, but I think it's a mixture of my ongoing thyroid problem (feeling a bit weak and wobbly, with high blood pressure and palpitations), and the mental stress of just everything. Could be worse.

How are you? Are you getting supplies ok?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm fine, well more than fine I suppose.
Although feeling knackered most evenings due to fine weather and trying to sort out all the jobs that need doing.
Haven't set foot off the property for 30 days and don't mind a bit, granddaughter does our shopping and our prescriptions are now delivered free with the community bus.
So all is well :cheers:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

ina wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:47 am Thanks for asking - I'm ok. Officially furloughed now. Not feeling that great, but I think it's a mixture of my ongoing thyroid problem (feeling a bit weak and wobbly, with high blood pressure and palpitations), and the mental stress of just everything. Could be worse.

How are you? Are you getting supplies ok?
All OK here thanks - loads and loads of work to do on the house, garden and allotment so I've been perhaps more productive than I am used to being.

Hope all's going OK up North! :)
AKA Simon.

Trying to get to grips with a Staffordshire allotment (UK)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

We've had a confirmed case in the village and a couple of others likely so everyone's suddenly behaving! I've made the gal a mask (she's receptionist/pharmacy dispenser at the surgery) so she can go to the shop etc with a little less concern. She enters and leaves by what was our shop and discards her outdoor clothing and washes before coming through to here.
60849421760__4946AC37-1C6E-45AB-9737-45048F8D6580(3).jpg
60849421760__4946AC37-1C6E-45AB-9737-45048F8D6580(3).jpg (59.45 KiB) Viewed 27065 times
We've sussed out getting a T4sco order. You have to wait up until midnight, sit in an online queue, wait until they release the next slots and pray you'll be in time to get one! :roll: :lol: We're managing just fine though, although the low carb diet is taking a bit of a hit. Between the orders as above, from Am4zon and the local shop we're not far from our usual level of stockedness (I think I just made that word up). I'm still not sure OH has noticed we're on lockdown, apart from having a tablespoonful of elderberry syrup shoved down his throat once a day. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

We are managing OK - not really a strict Isolation for us personally; we're not social butterflies (although miss the coffee shop and pub) and most of our families are a few hours drive away anyway. Working from home is annoying as my neighbours are also home bound - ergo the power tools in the sheds are going most of the day.
We are spending more time on the "block" than before and this is allowable as it IS a working farm and we can commute between our (primary) residence and place of work; we can also have other people around (with limits) where they are essential for farm work.

The idiot, non-thinking, urban-centric decision makers closed the restaurants, coffee shops, cafe's etc. as with everywhere else in the world but this also included the roadhouses and truck stops. The outcome was a potential shutdown of the long-haul transport system as the drivers could not get meals, showers, toilets, rest breaks etc. etc. Many of these guys are on the road 6 days a week and doing thousands of kilometres so the truckie stops are critical to their health, safety and general well-being. They have just lifted the truck stop ban but only for truck drivers.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

ina

Same here with the truck stops... Very short sighted.
Ina

Flo

I miss going out for coffee and cake as a break from the routine - could be combined with a trip to the garden centre. But won't happen yet awhile. Miss the chat club in the village - older population so no idea who will be around after the lock down is lifted. Probably shan't see that till September.

Have just managed to get a delivery slot for a delivery from the supermarket for a week tomorrow. Shan't starve as stuff is going in the ground for food up at plots.

ina

Congratulations on the delivery slot - I know of several people who still haven't got one...
I'd quite like to go for a shop at Lidl's, but that would involve taking the bus. Not sure whether that would be acceptable. I can survive on what I can buy locally - but their range is somewhat limited - no rye bread, for example, and wheat doesn't always agree with me...

Otherwise, I am ideally suited for staying at home on my own. When my thyroid problem started, I was off work for 5 months, and most of the time I was too weak to do more than essential shopping - for a couple of months I couldn't even do that on my own. So nothing new to me. In fact, because everybody is in the same situation now, I have a lot more contact with other people! However, I do miss having to get up in the morning. I need the pressure to get me out of bed. Unfortunately, not fit enough to offer myself as volunteer...
Ina

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

I'm hanging in, but starting to get cabin fever. Yesterday, my wife and I drove into town for a burger and fries at a drive-through restaurant, just for a treat and an excuse to get out of the house. It wasn't an essential trip, so technically, it was a violation of the state of emergency rules, but I'd argue that it was essential for our mental health.

Sit-down restaurants are closed except for carry-out, but drive-throughs are open. That's crazy that they have closed the truck stops over there! Here, they quickly realized that trucking was an essential service. Truckers get an exemption on the border closure, and many truck stops are not only open for take-out food, they will give truckers their meal for free.

I am still not fit enough to walk the dog. I hope that will change soon or I'll be too fat to walk her. I took her for a ten-minute walk in the woods today, just to get out of the house, but that was my limit.

ina

Oh, I'd say driving to get food is essential - otherwise they wouldn't allow those places to be open!

I think in any country there are things that weren't really thought through, as to what is allowed to stay open and what isn't. In Germany, there is just a discussion on the re-opening of GP practices - they were allowed to give sick notes after phone consultation, now people have to go back to see the GP in person. A lot of people think it is too early to allow that. Only time will tell... (We only need a sick note after 2 weeks at the moment - up to that we can "self certify". It's always been difficult to get an appointment with a doctor here, even before the crisis - now it's almost impossible unless you are half dead already!)
Ina

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

We're considering letting a few friends with little ruggies into the farm for a house bound isolation break. Limited travelling for exercise is allowable within the congregation / social distancing rules here so small family groups at a time should be OK; they can access without coming withing 200 metres of anyone else and enjoy some open space in virtual isolation anyway. Probably a better option than infanticide (although in some cases.....)
Don't let your vision cloud your sight