Snails etc

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Snails etc

Isn't it enough to have them in the garden, munching away on my few vegetables and strawberries that I managed to grow? Oh no, they have to invade the house as well...

A few days ago, I returned from a couple of nights away, cat sitting. Before I'd gone away, I'd brought in my washing that had been out for a few days, but due to the high humidity was still damp, so I left it in the basket. On my return home, I found slimy trails all over the top t-shirt - and then found a kind of snail nest further down, plus a heap of eggs. And the snail, looking somewhat dry. (Served her right! :angryfire: )

And last night I found a bloody slug drinking from the cat's bowl in my bed room... Argh! How do they get into the house? They must climb up the very rough outside walls and squeeze through the ventilation slits. Well, the snail probably climbed up the clothes outside and wasn't discovered when I brought them in...

I'd found them in the kitchen sink before, too. Anywhere in the kitchen, really.

Have you had any interesting encounters of the sluggy/snaily kind?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Flo

Re: Snails etc

I remember having a wall on a downstairs flat that attracted snails. It bordered onto a well known quick cut to the long road of housing below as it saved a very long walk.

The housing association asked the town council to get one of the garden maintenance/grass cutting operatives to take a look. He said some pointed things about snails being excellent intruders - give them an air brick that wasn't obvious or taken notice of regularly. Anyway, whatever he did cured the problem for the rest of my time. You can bet that the cure he used has now been banned for use as not green and ethical.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

We were so sick of the snails in our polytunnel we bought a fish tank to feed them up for dinner! Well, we never used it, the polytunnel has gone but we still have a fish tank.

Any ideas - that don't include fish?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Green Aura wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:54 am We still have a fish tank. Any ideas - that don't include fish?
If it has Grolux lights and an aerator you could grow lettuces hydroponically.
I did just that some years ago, easy to do and works well.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

No lights - do you think it would work between the two hydrponics units?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Green Aura wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:09 pm No lights - do you think it would work between the two hydrponics units?
On a sunny windowsill it wouldn't be necessary for lights. I did mine in a fairly dark shed in winter, with a sheet of expanded polystyrene (Styrofoam) that floated on the nutrient.
I mentioned it in my Ish blog piece .. https://www.selfsufficientish.com/main/ ... explained/
which I don't think you can get to on a clickable link from the forum pages.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.