2016 was a bad year for me

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
sleepyowl
A selfsufficientish Regular

2016 was a bad year for me

I dare say 2016 hasn't been a barrel of laughs for most of us, with political unrest in the world, many famous people that we had admired/respected passing away. Last year was quite deathy in my family and because of pastoral inclinations kicked in to make sure everyone else was OK I seemed to have avoided my usual mental health problems, but then 2016 came and my mental health seems to have caught up with me with a vengeance leading me to neglect the garden. I seem to be on the mend thankfully. Do any of you have similar issues and how do you cope?
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

ina

Re: 2016 was a bad year for me

I've been long term depressive - some times are better, some are worse, so yes, I know what you are going through - or at least I can imagine it. For me, the best thing is to have something to do, i.e. a "proper" job to go to on a daily basis. For the past 4 years I only had part time, badly paid and not very satisfying jobs, if any at all; since this summer things have been a bit better, as I'm back working at the institute where I've been, on and off, for 15 years or so (all fixed term contracts). Only a casual job, i.e. short term and badly paid, but at least something useful to do and intelligent people to talk to. And a reason to get out of bed in the mornings. I've know times when I knew the garden needed me desperately, but I couldn't even face the possibility of having to say hello to a neighbour if I went out there. Problem is, of course, if you are honest when applying for a job and say that you suffer from depression, nobody will employ you! So I count myself really lucky that I'm back with my old employer, where they know me and value my contribution.

Hope 2017 goes better for you! :hugish:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

littlemissrose
Tom Good
Tom Good

The social sevices put so much pressure on me to get a job, that I lost the one I had because I couldn't cope with said pressure. But at least now i'm taking the time to heal and to figure out how I can do the things I want to do, without running myself into a burnout. Hurray for rock bottom.
My blog: https://thelifeofalittlerose.wordpress.com
My dutch blog: https://hetlevenvaneenroosje.wordpress.com has the same content bu is updated sooner.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

So sorry that you've been having such a tough time. I think 2016 has been bad for a lot of people to some extent. We can only hope things improve this next year or at least get easier to cope with.

Gardening is incredibly effective for mental health problems, apparently even soil bacteria is a vital part of our bodies ecology. The problem is getting out there and doing it but I'm sure if you can it will help at least a little.

I wish all the best for 2017 - to all of us. :grouphug:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin