Greenhouse!!!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

Greenhouse!!!

Oh happy, happy day - my greenhouse was delivered at 8am this morning!

It is a beautiful 8x12ft palace of a greenhouse, and even came with some free staging.

After much consideration and the thread on here, I opted for the greenhouse over the tunnel (for now) on the basis that it is not as straightforward to raise seedlings in a tunnel. But the long term plan is to have both, of course! Also I am hoping that as it is on the large side, I will be able to grow some early veg in it as well as use it for propagation.

Eeek! Only problem is it is dark by the time we get home now, so I have to wait a whole week to be able to put it up. I think I might burst! :flower: :icon_smile: :flower:
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Flo

Re: Greenhouse!!!

You'll survive a week. Best to do it right, get it up proper and not break anything. Good luck and have fun. At least you can spend the week reading the instructions on building it.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

congratulations on your greenhouse. All you have to do is make sure the base is both level and square and it should be fine. One day, when the Wizard has finished making the garden room, he may build me a greenhouse out of all the upvc windows we have stashed away, you can't beat glass.

bonniethomas06

Thanks Digger!
Yes, we will be careful with the base, we bought a special metal base which I am told you can put straight on to soil, though we will put some breezeblocks down and level them first - we can't cement them because technically we shouldn't be putting a greenhouse there at all (the land is technically 'agricultural') so just in case we are forced to take it down in the future, I don't want to lay anything permanent. It's a pain but we are hoping we will get away with it - next door have swings, decking and a pizza oven in their 'agricultural' land portion and have had for years!

UPVC greenhouse sounds amazing. I imagine if it is constructed from windows, you will never have a problem with ventilation! And completely frost free too.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

We used railway sleepers. Easier than breeze blocks.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

bonniethomas06

That's a good idea. Will see whatever is the most economical - railway sleepers seem to cost a fortune down here.

My blog...

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

We bought brand new ones from a timber yard. For some reason they were much cheaper than ex-BR ones. Presumably less decorative and trendy - it was a long time ago. Are old sleepers still fashionable?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

All my sheds and (soon to be 3) greenhouses are all built on at least one course of 4" concrete blocks on concrete footings.
A couple of weeks after we moved here there was winds forecast. We had a caravan and a long wheelbase V8 Landrover, and I parked the Lannie across the caravan to protect it. Next morning there were grooves in the drive gravel where the Landrover had been blown sideways by a couple of feet. Now that takes some doing, so from then on I decided I would build everything like the proverbial brick sh**house.

I was gifted a 8' x 6' aluminium greenhouse and I built the base with blocks, so now you step down into it and the roof is 18" taller, which means I can grow my tomatoes 18" taller. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

Congratulations on the new greenhouse! I wanna see pics!

I can't imagine why a greenhouse wouldn't be considered agricultural. Growing veggies is kinda the definition of agricultural, isn't it?

bonniethomas06

Thanks Kathy, I will post some just as soon as we finish - it is currently in a perilous half-glazed state as we lost the light last night - it took longer than we thought! Despite hooking up three lamps from the living room, it was too dark to continue. Will try and finish it in the hour of daylight we have at the end of the working day - modern life is rubbish!

My hands are so sore! Those horrid W clips just mince your fingers. Strangely it has enormous rectangular panels instead of the more traditional 24" squares. Great now as makes glazing easier, but a real pain when next doors football comes crashing down and they need to be replaced.

My blog...

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Re new sleepers and price etc. If it is anything like Australia, each timber sleeper (seems we are converting to concrete) is checked for integrity and if it does not meet specs then rejected (excess gum veins, checks, splits dimensions etc.). These are the new sleepers that turn up in garden retail, the original supplier does not get paid for rejects
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

bonniethomas06

Well, here it is, finally finished last night as the last of the daylight disappeared.

Not a pleasant weekend putting it up, but oh I LOVE it!!

Now just to put the benches together, dig over the beds and fathom out how to make a concrete path for it. Will also probably invest in some more windows, as I don't think two are anywhere near enough. I also have a low level louvre to fit but all can wait until my poor hands are functional again!
Attachments
Greenhouse.jpg
Greenhouse.jpg (62.08 KiB) Viewed 6787 times

My blog...

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

Outstanding! That looks great, Bonnie!

Flo

Hurrah - it's up and ready for use. Come January or February you will be able to start out early onion seeds in there and then early flower seeds (you might need to use fleece to start the seedlings off). I had trays of stuff on the go from February last year as it was a mild winter.