An odd experience....

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

An odd experience....

...and not a particularly pleasant one.

A couple of years ago I applied for a job - two-year funded, part-time, suited my experience, training and circumstances so I applied for it. Didn't get it - mainly, I think of my distance from where it is based, well that was the feedback anyway.

So tempus fugit and all that, I'd heard along the way that the original incumbent had left and been replaced and then out of the blue I got an email from the manager asking me if I'd be interested in the last four months of the contract. They didn't expect many (or any) other applicants, I wouldn't have to re-apply but would have to be re-interviewed to keep thing in order.

Four months would suit me (I'm not actually looking for a job), same job, same qualifications, it would help them not lose the last of the funding so I said OK.

Went for the interview on Tuesday and guess what - I didn't get it because I don't live near enough!

I was so cross I cried (not at him). :banghead:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: An odd experience....

Yes I fully understand your frustration, why make you do the trip in the first place, he obviously knew your address.

It seems the norm nowadays that all companies assume that everyone lives in a town, or better still in a city.
I have a Tesc0 mobile phone, mainly because they do a flip phone (not the old fogey one) and all the other phone companies only want to sell expensive smart phones.
Anyway, they KNOW where I live, but they keep pestering me to start shopping for delivery to my home, even though I live 55 miles from their nearest shop. :scratch:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

It might be worth checking - they now delivery up here - not to houses but to a central click and collect spot. I haven't been to Inverness, purely to get the shopping, in months. Of course if like like going shopping then it isn't a problem. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back to topic. :lol: He knows very well where I live, having been here several times My OH and I figured he probably thought he'd get no response for such a short length job and so was covering his bases. For my part I didn't make it plain enough that I was glad to step into the breach but wasn't job hunting.

Another lesson learned. :roll:
Maggie

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

oooh I don't want T***o knowing where I live, oh I see what you did there Tesc0, does that stop it being turned into T***o. Perhaps you should send yer man a map so as he knows where things are, what a divvy

Susie
A selfsufficientish Regular

Really bloody annoying :hugish: what business is it of his where you live anyway if you were happy to travel? They're probably really disorganised and would have always been wanting you to drop everything and go in at 5 mins' notice. You've probably had a lucky escape ;-)
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

Work?..Miles away?....you've just dodged a bullet...........................(Mind you ,the bloke's still an A---h---).

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

That was pretty much the conclusion we came to, OJ.

Thanks folks.
Maggie

ina

I've had that several times in the past, that I had the very strong feeling I didn't get a job because it would have meant me moving to a different part of the country. But how on earth are you supposed to get a job? Move first, then depend on benefits while you are trying to find a job - and if you can't get one where you've moved to move again? I've given up. I'll just stay where I am and struggle along somehow. (Just saw a great job advertised - in Warwick. There are very few jobs that need somebody with my kind of qualifications and experience. But I know they'd never take an old woman who lives at the other end of the country - particularly not as it's only a 9 month contract anyway.)
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

This one was a bit nearer, ina, it was 30 miles away! (The next village, in fact).
Maggie

ina

Green Aura wrote:This one was a bit nearer, ina, it was 30 miles away! (The next village, in fact).
Most people commute further than that these days!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)