Define your alternative self

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
dustydave
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Define your alternative self

I've noticed that our school-pick-up chat produces do that wide-eyed 'do you!' amazement when you admit to doing the simplest of life functions like walking, making bread, or childrens' food *groan*. We are known as the family that don't give their children refined sugar; like some freak show exhibit of child cruelty. Our kids love it - they get enough sugar from the sweets that schools now seem to hand out, truth is we just don't buy refined goods so there isn't anything in the cupboards, but come bake days they get their fill. I can only figure that false awe stems from some sort of media persona, sort of that they see themselves as someone in a tv advert 'living the life' and some how your sufficiency of self either rubs with what they assumed were the perceived role of a mother/woman/husband/father, or just that they didn't realise that such things are possible to do yourself. Either way it is sort of a game that is played out and like all games would be good to call it out. Reminds me of an aunt who insists that her family all eat healthy because everything they buy comes from Marks and Spencer. Charles Darwin would love this sort of thing... :lol:

sleepyowl
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

I would class myself alternative I suppose if you mean going against the general grain of humanity. I don't like most mainstream television or music, I'm ale drinker, prefer making my food from scratch, talking about values philosophy ethics, sex politics, religion, death etc. I'm very much left wing, have little time for bigotry. I am Pagan which people don't seem to get there head around even most Pagans can't get there head around meas I tend to be quite scientific too. I don't see anything wrong with painting my nails, sewing, knitting, hugging, recieving flowers even though I'm a bloke. I'm a complex person but that is just me, I have a thirst for knowledge & I like learning about people too
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

Crastney
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I make my own homebrew cider, and wine, and beer. Most people that I know, that's enough to call me alternative.
I mend socks, and a pair of slippers that I had lasted ten years, because I kept replacing/mending the soles when they wore out.
I have at least three pairs of jeans that I've patched the knees and front of the legs, with patches from another pair of jeans that were unwearable.
some people think it's a bit odd, and say that I should just buy a new pair of jeans, but I'm like, why? when I can mend these 'for free'.
Global average carbon emissions - one ton per person per year.
Current emissions in UK – 9 tons per person per year!

harðfiskur
longitude: 0.1822° E
Facebook Name: paula

one day I will write my short biography on here