Plumegranates

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Plumegranates

Had to go to Inverness yesterday, so called in Morrisons and found a packet of these plumegranates in the reduced section.

Strangely, they're just like plums! I have a bit of a cold so they didn't taste of anything other than just - plums, although they have a beautiful deep burgundy coloured flesh.

I have no idea where the pomegranate bit comes in - just marketing games, I expect.

Thought I might have a go at sprouting some of the stones - waddya'll think?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Plumegranates

Shouldn't it say on the wrapper,where they were flown in from? That'll give you a clue as to their cultivation.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds like one of those Lubera offerings. There is a spate of weird fruits about at the mo, apples that are red fleshed (Redlove), plums that are the same (Pluot), peaches red all the way through to the stone (Peche de Vigne).
Then there's the strawberry crossed with a raspberry (Framberry) and red blueberries :shock:
Where will it all end ?

Sounds like you have a GM plum, GA. :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

I probably won't try to grow any then :shock:
Maggie

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

I don't know... I suppose I am a bit old fashioned in that way - I still prefer my courgettes green, my tomatoes red, my carrots orange, my beetroot red, too - and my broccoli green - somehow it doesn't taste the same if it's all funny colours!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

I'd have a go at growing them, GA. Even if they don't come true it'll be a new tree in your garden and that's always a good thing.

Ina: Didn't carrots start out straw-coloured (like parsnip) and were then selectively bred to be the bright orange of today? All part of the 'makes you see in the dark' properganda. :lol:

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

ina

[quote="MuddyWitch"
Ina: Didn't carrots start out straw-coloured (like parsnip) and were then selectively bred to be the bright orange of today? All part of the 'makes you see in the dark' properganda. :lol:

MW[/quote]

I've heard that before... Quite possible, but they were already orange in my childhood, so that's what counts! Early years conditioning... :mrgreen:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

They're long gone, MW. I don't think I'd buy them again - certainly not at full price!
Maggie

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

MuddyWitch wrote:Didn't carrots start out straw-coloured (like parsnip) and were then selectively bred to be the bright orange of today? All part of the 'makes you see in the dark' properganda. :lol:

MW
At risk of being really pedantic and off the point, I believe carrots were bred to orange by patriotic Dutch breeders, a long, long time ago, and the 'see in the dark' propaganda was much more recent, to cover up the use of radar in the second world war - "What? No, we haven't developed a new technology. Not at all, we're just feeding our fighter pilots on carrots!"
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

That and they contain Vitamin A, which is required to prevent night blindness.
Maggie

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zech wrote:
MuddyWitch wrote:Didn't carrots start out straw-coloured (like parsnip) and were then selectively bred to be the bright orange of today? All part of the 'makes you see in the dark' properganda. :lol:

MW
At risk of being really pedantic and off the point, I believe carrots were bred to orange by patriotic Dutch breeders, a long, long time ago, and the 'see in the dark' propaganda was much more recent, to cover up the use of radar in the second world war - "What? No, we haven't developed a new technology. Not at all, we're just feeding our fighter pilots on carrots!"
I was going to say exactly that, but I thought it might sound pedantic and off the point :lol: :lol: . But it's correct - the Dutch did that in the 17th century from original stock of yellow and red carrots.

EDIT: I'm one of those pains in the backside who thinks that accurate information is NEVER pedantic and off the point.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)