A 110 million lottery win

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

A 110 million lottery win

I was reading in the paper that two lottery couples have now split up. The last ones who got 110 million quid, split up because they could not agree on how to spend it. If you won this kind of money, what would you do with it and would you and your partner agree on how to spend it

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: A 110 million lottery win

I would be surprised if the money was the real cause.

Although it makes a good story.

After all I would assume you split it 50/50 and spend it on what you want.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 44.44361
longitude: 26.14056

diggernotdreamer wrote:If you won this kind of money, what would you do with it and would you and your partner agree on how to spend it
I'd buy a village (you could do that here with that kind of cash) and set up a self-sufficient(ish) comunity something along the lines of Mainaleda in Spain.

boboff

Bantham in Sounth Devon is for sale for 30 million I think.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

boboff wrote:Bantam in Sounth Devon is for sale for 30 million I think.
That's expensive for a small chicken :scratch:
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

geordie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I would spend 109 million on drink and loose women, then waste the rest.

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

My wife said we'd leave this dump for one thing, I think she was joking about the dump bit but we'd probably try to find somewhere with a bit more room.
Funnily enough I do know a couple of people who have had wins on the lottery not millions but decent amounts none the less.
The first gave up his job as a joinery shop manager and moved onto run a caravan park with his family , a much less stressful life , mowing the grass, keeping the place tidy , changing the odd light bulb that sort of thing and is now more relaxed and happy. I'm not sure how much he won although I think it made it into six figures just.
The second person I know won around £70,000 shared between him and his brother but his experience was completely different. He became depressed because he felt that he'd had his win and missed " the big one ". He evidently sounded suicidal at one point and when he disappeared leaving a locked van on a job people became worried , called the police who broke into the van. He wasn't inside but had simply walked off and got a taxi to Wales to "sort his head out". I haven't seen him for a while but he's less depressed now and has returned to work.
To be honest I tend to think it's a stupid amount of money to win, not that I'd turn it down.

Pete

doofaloofa

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_as ... happy.html

Though on balance I'd take the lottery win over quadraplegia

But that's just me
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'd just like to win enough to pay off the mortgage. About 50k would do.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

happyhippy

I'd still keep my life simple.I would buy 2 of my kids a house each.The other one,would give the same but in money as he already has a house.I'd head back to Australia to live,buy enough land for a smallholding with a nice 3 bed house.I'd buy a new car but it would be something practicable.I dont think I would go mad spending it tbh.I think I'd just be happy in the fact that I did'nt have to work ( :cheers: )and not have to ever worry about money issues again,especially when we retire.We don't have any debts,so I am pretty happy with life as it is tbh.I'd do some voluntary work to keep busy too,

Flo

You know, a lot of us are quite happy as we are. Doing the lottery has more downsides than upsides if you ask me.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I know exactly what I'd do. I'd set up a not for profit business buying up empty, unloved properties. The sort that are too difficult or expensive for a commercial organisation to repair. Then renovate them and either sell or rent. The aim would be to cover costs. Without the need to recompense shareholders or banks, you could afford to spend more to get them up to standard.

The benefits would be that you could provide accommodation or commercial property to a good standard but an affordable price thus reducing the need for greenfield development but still provide employment in the construction industry.

But I would keep a million or two for handbags :wave: