Knighthood?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Dr.Syn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Knighthood?

So already people are crying out for a knighthood for Andy Murray. Why? Surely those honours should go to people who have done something really notable not as the usual case is simply for doing their job.

We have our brave troops throughout the world risking their lives for others and what do they get? Redundancy! But someone who runs around a track,swims in a pool, or just keeps his head down and does his job ends up with an honour.

By the way was Fred Perry knighted?

Oooh I feel better now
Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.
Blog http://fredarth.wordpress.com/
Die dulci fruere.

Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 44.44361
longitude: 26.14056

Re: Knighthood?

I don't think Perry was.

I agree with you. I'm not saying sports stars shouldn't be considered for knighthoods, but they should contribute more to people's lives than just doing what they're supposed to do (i.e. winning a tournament) however much that excites the fans. Sadly MBEs seem to be as meaningless as the label 'hero'.

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dr.Syn wrote:So already people are crying out for a knighthood for Andy Murray. Why? Surely those honours should go to people who have done something really notable not as the usual case is simply for doing their job.

We have our brave troops throughout the world risking their lives for others
Aren't they simply doing their job too? If they were conscripted then I'd have a lot more sympathy for them.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

Dr.Syn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

So the reward for being shot at, blown up, maimed and defending the innocent should be poor pay and redunduncy.
Perhaps the honour system should be scrapped unless one can donate to political parties?
Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.
Die dulci fruere.

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Oh the cynicism!

Why not? He played at a standard no one else in the WORLD can play at. Give him a knighthood, what ever, it made MILLIONS of people happy.

He and I both realize that you can make some of the people happy all the time etc etc.

A career in the armed services for MOST is very very rewarding, and suits some people very well. We have an Army for our own defense as a country, as a nation, so it gives us the ability to stand up to bullies and cynics and those who would be cry us a little happiness should we not agree with them.

There I argued with you, happy?
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Dr.Syn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

yes
Die dulci fruere.

Dr.Syn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Private
Levels 1 - 7 only

Level 7 £26,668 £22,582
Level 6 £25,498 £21,656
Level 5 £24,315 £21,292
Level 4 £21,991 £20,229
Level 3 £20,957 £18,641
Level 2 £19,030 £18,165
Level 1 £17,689 £17,689

£17,689 for being shot at! Words fail me
Die dulci fruere.

boboff

I believe that is the same salary for the cooks, engineers, cleaners, painters, gardeners, teachers, and yes cannon fodder.

I am not saying they deserve more in combat, but FACT's are they get 25% council tax discount, several thousand pounds per trip to Afganistan, and they DON'T PAY TAX THAT YEAR.

so your facts although very nice, do ignore some hefty premiums they do get.

Is it enough to compensate? No, do they get there life insurance paid at £1 million plus each, yes, sure they do, but really that isn't enough. I know.

But they choose to fight, and for 99.9% of the people that works well, for some tragic people it doesn't and my heart goes out to them and there families.

BUT Andy Murray won Wimbeldon..... WOOOOOOOP WOOOOOOP Make him a Knight of the realm!

You can of course choose to live your life berating every success and using the sacrifice of our Armed Forces as a juxed d'postion for it, that is your right your freedom, I have no inclination to take that from you, although some that do in this world have to be stopped, and the only way is brute force.

I have good friends in the Marines, and have employed several hundred Kurds from Iraq, I really do see both sides, and I understand the issue, but life is pretty shit, and you have to enjoy the good bits???????

One good crop, makes up for the 20 you worked your arse off for and failed surely?
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dr.Syn wrote:Private

Well don't join up then! Simples.
Look I'm not anti armed forces or some kind of pacifist.If I have to kill to defend myself then I would do so and not lose any sleep over it. What I do object to is the present glorification of the armed forces whereby you acquire saint like status simply by joining up. I can recall a school friend of mine at a party held in his honour after he came back from the Falklands saying "we never expected to have to fight when I joined the Navy" and I remember thinking surely it was part of the job description.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

gregorach

Cheers

Dunc

boboff

The leader to the right of that story

"Gary Barlow stuck in Queens Arse" kind of does this whole debate justice!

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Crickleymal wrote:
Dr.Syn wrote:So already people are crying out for a knighthood for Andy Murray. Why? Surely those honours should go to people who have done something really notable not as the usual case is simply for doing their job.

We have our brave troops throughout the world risking their lives for others
Aren't they simply doing their job too? If they were conscripted then I'd have a lot more sympathy for them.
Was Murray conscripted to play tennis or was it his choice of career? Soldiers know there is a chance they could be shot at Murray knows there may be a chance he could win a game, no huge difference as I see it.Maybe worth a gong if he did it year after year after year.
Either way I can't help thinking that the whole honours system thing has become pretty meaningless really.
Oh , and I don't fit into the millions entertained group, bores the pants off me but each to his own.

Pete

berry
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 50.3706° N
longitude: 4.1397° W

Dr.Syn wrote:
Woah! a career in the armed forces is a choice! plus they shoot at people too! yes lives are lost but every single member of the armed forces knows the job they are getting into, they know the pay they will receive. They are not forced to do it.

I hate all this "soldiers are heroes" stuff. Im not anti armed forces I just know they do the job willingly (I'm from a military family with current serving soldiers who say the same)

as a relative said. "we're not heroes, we go to war, war shouldn't be applauded"

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dr.Syn wrote:We have our brave troops throughout the world risking their lives for others and what do they get? Redundancy!
Strange, I don't remember any Irish troops being shot at lately.
Or are you one of those ex-pat Brits who don't consider themselves residents in the country they live in. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Dr.Syn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Sorry old fruit but have tou never heard of the Irish Guards. Most regiments have Irish personnel.
According to my passport I am still British. I've not been here long enough to apply for Irish citizenship.
Die dulci fruere.