can they do this to him??

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

can they do this to him??

Hi all,my poor Husband is a self employed subcontractor and has been in and out of work for the last 3 years,he's never known it so bad as I am sure others will have been through this too.He got regular work last october after 3 months of not alot and has been with the company ever since.The wages are 40% lower but he receives mileage money on one way of his journey which just made the drop sustainable.I cut back on the food bill and we had a little left at the month end.Now they just announced verbally to him yesterday that they are no longer paying him the mileage money as of this week, so a days notice really.I am still in shock as we cannot cover our bills now.I have been looking for a little job like gardening or ironing to help out as it was(but have not been successful) but now it will have to happen just to get by.I sell outgrown things on ebay but it's not regular and neither are my craft fayres.I suppose it's the same old situation that if you are self employed you have no rights and you just have to get on with it.Does anyone else have experience of this?
How much more can we cut back on food??I have a full veggie patch with a few things ready but it won't last for ever.I have been into every cupboard and shed and pulled a few more things out to ebay this weekend to get a bit ahead but with my eldest starting highschool in September and only half the uniform bought the future is feeling scary.The little one has the eldests hand me downs and primary school aren't so strict anyway.High school they need hockey boots,pe kit, blazer etc it's a nightmare.
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: can they do this to him??

Not so sure about the legal side of things. What did his contract say?

Schools often have some contingency set up for people who can't afford uniforms. Have a chat with them before you have to get the uniform and see what they say.
Also go and see your Citizens Advice Bureau debt councillor, before you get into difficulties. They are (or at least they were) very good. I had a friend who was one and he constantly bemoaned the fact that people would only go to them when they were in shit street, whereas if they had been when they could see a problem looming up a lot could be done to help them.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

I think that the CAB is the answer.

It may well be that if he can't afford to travel, then in the short term you would be better off without him working at all.

That is a sad thing to say I know, but you are in a really hard position, and the Welfare State does support people in need.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

prison break fan

Sorry I can't offer any advice, just sending you my sympathy! One thing I would just say is don't keep things bottled up, talk to your friends and accept any help offered! pbf.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

If your husband is self employed, can't he claim back against his tax for travelling from one job to another, if he doesn't already do that have a look on the Inland Revenue site or give them a call. You poor love, what a horrible time you are having, I think the other two are quite right, go and see the Citizens Advice Bureau, I have found them to be very helpful when I needed some help in the past. We had a time we couldn't pay the mortgage so we thought we ask about a mortgage holiday, like they advertised on the tv, so the OH rang up and asked about the holiday, oh what do you want it for they asked, because we are in a bit of trouble and need a few months to sort ourselves out, oh no they said, you can't do that, but if you wanted to do some home improvements or nice holiday that would be fine. I phoned up a bit later and asked the same question, what do you want to do they asked, oh I said we want to put in a new kitchen and we would like to treat ourselves to a nice holiday........... we got three months mortgage holiday over the phone.... what the f@@@ is that about.

oldjerry

In short,probably yes.Self Employment ,by and large,in the UK at least,means you are exempt from 99% of any ' workplace'rights 'enjoyed' by people who work 'on the books'.(Why d'you think the Govt are so keen on self employment?)

That's not me being all political,Iv'e only worked on the 'books' for 2yrs ,and that was back in 1980.It's just the way it is.

You've found yourselves in a similar position to ourselves(many times) and so many others at the minute.Here's what I'd advise:
1) Tell the guys he's working for to do one.(they're probably in deep do do anyhow,or they wouldn't be trying to pull a stunt like that,if they're that deep in it,he may well not get paid one day anyhow...)

2) Having,bitten the bullet,swallowed your pride,and stopped reading The Daily Mail,sign on as unemployed.
(It's degrading,boring,long winded,means spending a lot of time form-filling for halfwits that deserve employment far less than you do,but for goodness sake do it BEFORE you get into serious debt.).You've paid plenty into the State,(maybe income tax,maybe 20% of everything non-food you've ever bought,definitely shit loads every time you've filled up the car).It's payback time. If they can bale out bankers,they can help out ordinary people.

Ignore my manner,I really do know what it's like.It's just that I've got into debt cos I was too proud to sign on,thought of myself as totally self-reliant,capable of living outside the State etc.etc. and it took YEARS to drag myself back from there.As everyone's already said,whizz in to the CAB,tell'em the whole story,and they will help you through the whole 'signing on/benefit business.

I'm sorry things are so difficult,I feel my generation has been responsible for this current shambles,we had the chance to change things 30 yrs ago but we blew it,and now young families like yourselves are paying for it.We should be hanging our heads in shame,not cruising round the country in free bus passes or sunning ourselves on the Algarve.

Best Wishes.OJ.

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

As suggested visit a CAB. They should advise on benefits you may be entitled to. Are you in receipt of Working Tax Credits as most self-employed think that are not entitled but they are.

happyhippy

I don't know about the legal side of your OH's work,so apologies can't offer advice on that issue.Is it possible for you to work fulltime?

cideristhefuture
Tom Good
Tom Good

Have you asked if you can get any help with coucil tax or rent benefit from your local council? Self employed people can get help.

They could aslo tell you if you can get a clothing grant for school uniform. This is sometimes available for children just before they move up to senior school.

Good luck.

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

I believe they can because it's an 'allowance' (which they might have a time limit on) not part of the payrate (had this happen to me working at the big company)
As the company won't pay travel expenses maybe he should be asking them to collect him and take him to work (I know - daft idea, but I would)
for the rest CAB, wonderful folks!!
Claim everything you can, and if things get too tight get info on your local foodbank
Also call the school about uniform swaps or help

Horrid to read this but our caring parliament seem to like it like this whilst stuffing wads into their own and their mates' pockets (non-political they're all the piggin same these days)
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

Well thanks I will talk to the cab,I am doubtful wether we can get any help with anything if he's actually working.I have looked into working full time and most of the wages I can earn after 12 years at home with children would go on childcare ,I do work extremely hard at home to save money by growing food,keeping chickens ,selling excess eggs and making jam and selling excess at the gate.I cut the grass ,clean the windows and the house I cut the family's hair and cook from scratch,bake and make soap and wine also I make some clothes and buy from charity shops and boot sales.I also sell handmade items at fayres and as I said secondhand stuff on ebay ,childcare is really costly and we would get no help with costs as they look at joint income I have looked into it and know I am now bottom of the pile for getting a job as I have been out of the work place for so Long.I will try to get an ironing job or gardening job to help out.
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!

boboff

You have to go to the CAB, with kids you should get a good dollop of Working tax credits, family tax credits etc etc, with those you will access Free school meals, free boilers, £60 grant towards school uniform, depending on savings, council tax benefit/discount, free NHS voucher for prescriptions, eye wear etc.

Honestly, you are doing all you can, fill in some forms if you haven't already.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I don't know if your craft business is up and running formally or you sell things as and when.

It might be worth asking CAB if they can help you to claim the new Enterprise Allowance, if you're just setting up. I understand it is incredibly difficult to get but it would give you a small, but guaranteed, regular income which might enable you to concentrate more on building your business.

Or set up your own ironing business, or similar. You could charge cheaper rates by getting folks to bring you their stuff instead of collecting it - if you're not too far off the beaten track most people would be happy to call on their way to and from work.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

oldjerry

The thing is(and ask the CAB to confirm) but if you are registered as unemployed,you will get loads more opportunity to get set up grants for new businesses,as well as all the above mentioned benefits.It used to be that you had to have signed on 6 months,but this is changing rapidly.2 years ago(or thereabouts) when I couldn't farm anymore,following a couple of months sickness,I signed on,and immediately got a £2000 grant from the local council(spread over a year @40 quid a week) as I started a (massively unsuccessful )business.Add to that the Tax Credits/free prescriptions etc we managed,I avoided the 'shame' of unemployment,and the Govt had marginally better unemployment figures.Win/Win.
The way I write makes it sound trite,but there are ways round your situation especially for someone with your get up and go.Good Luck.

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

clare wrote:Well thanks I will talk to the cab,I am doubtful wether we can get any help with anything if he's actually working.
Just try, you won't get if you don't ask. It all depends on how much he's earning and whether you qualify as unemployed. I bet though that there is something that you are entitled to that will help. Chin up.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot