knitting help...

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
berry
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 50.3706° N
longitude: 4.1397° W

knitting help...

Can anybody recommend any good links or books to help push forward my knitting. I'm pretty accomplished but need I'm in need of a decent stitch guide, alternative ways to cast on and knitting cables. The last two have left me in tangles as the guides I've read so far have been pretty rubbish. The stitch guide is more for my own patterns I just want a really good book for reference.

I'm not after actual finished garment patterns just learning the techniques so will basically practice each stitch/cabling etc on squares or scarves until I get it. I still believe learning this way is best for me rather than struggling to knit a jumper so expect photos of semi completed blankets or throws :wink:

can anyone help?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: knitting help...

Craftsy have some free tutorials and there's another site - can't remember the name exactly but it's something like "A new stitch every day". And You Tube have loads of tutorials too.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

berry
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thanks. Im after a book. I'm trying to reduce my screen time but I'll take a look anyway :)

snapdragon
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

There is the knitting dictionary, the vogue stitchionery, and the stitch library (knitters bible) with lots of pattern stitches which I can see available on amazon just now. WH Smith used to have a good range in their craft section too.

I still use a pullout from a magazine (1970's)
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

berry
Tom Good
Tom Good

ah thanks for those. I didnt want to spend a fortune on useless books (I have tons that have proven to be more useful propping up the table) but I'll give those a go :)

JeanMarie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Facebook Name: Jean Marie Martin Daigle

I have a tip that makes beautiful edges when linking anything knitted or crocheted. Use a crochet hook to join the two sides with extra yarn. Its a single joining stitch. The loops you choose to join should be the coinciding ones on the backside, starting at a joining corner of your pattern. This gives a nice line and a hidden join line.
A girl in this world :wave:

fruitfly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I used to have a book ages ago by Merce Stanley, I think her name was. Possibly a Batsford book that's probably out of print now but definitely for accomplished knitters.