Competitive gardening for a TV show

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Competitive gardening for a TV show

In case anyone's interested, a TV company "are looking for pairs who have the skills and the dedication to compete to be the nation's best kitchen gardener. Someone who can cultivate the perfect carrot, make their green tomatoes into award winning chutney and turn their dahlias and sweet peas into floral arrangements fit for a Queen."
http://www.lostintv.com/tv-show?id=407
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Competitive gardening for a TV show

I agree with you Susi G, makes me want to have another one of my little tea breaks (that would be the 20th today then) :sleepy2: with a nice biccy or little cakey (home made of course)

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

It might be somebodies cup of tea, but we have no wish to compare our carrots or chutney with anybody.

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Some of us will just be glad to grow owt for the kitchen after last summer.

Broad Bean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Who defines the perfect carrot anyway? The supermarkets would have you to believe that its one that's perfectly straight of uniform length etc where as people that grow to eat (rather than the bizarre world of showing which doesn't seem to have anything to do with food to me) know that it's a taste thing and that's subjective anyway.

Flo

Broad Bean wrote:Who defines the perfect carrot anyway?
The judge of the competition who is always right. And there is never any querying the decisions of the judges even if it's wrong as all show gardeners know. :wink:

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Broad Bean wrote:Who defines the perfect carrot anyway? The supermarkets would have you to believe that its one that's perfectly straight of uniform length etc where as people that grow to eat (rather than the bizarre world of showing which doesn't seem to have anything to do with food to me) know that it's a taste thing and that's subjective anyway.
Hear, hear!

I have to say, the advert is the kind of thing to have me running screaming for the hills*, but I thought I'd share it just in case anyone fancied being on telly.

*Oh hang on, I'm already in the hills. That's all right then!
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

The producers of these sorts of programmes aren't of course looking for gardeners that actually work as "pairs" , they will more than likely want a pair that is constantly arguing about which fertilizer to use or which plants are weeds or when to plant your sprouts. Discord brings in higher viewing figures than harmony. There is a similiar type of programme called "wife swap" (mine watches it occasionaly) where two couples swap partners for a week. Normally it results in frayed tempers and out bursts but a few years ago one episode was panned because the couples simply got on together, I can remember reading about the terrible episode in the press.
Make up your own sentance out of the following,
Barge pole.
Touch it.
Don't.

Pete

sleepyowl

The only TV competition that thrived on the competitors not being evil was the Great British Bake Off
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

oldjerry

I'm sure that most people,like I do, only tune in to wonder at Mary Berry's false gnashers,..a true work of art.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

You're right that they want either people who will argue, have no prior knowledge of what they're doing, or who are completely inept.

Super.niki and I applied to be on that farmer programme. We didn't get through.

When we watched it, we realised why - all the people on the programme had no idea about farming, no idea about keeping animals and not a clue what to do at any turn. Niki and I would have won for actually knowing a bit about the subject!! We're also very similar, so we would have come up with plans together and agreed on them rather than taking hours on end arguing over small details.

We would have LOVED living in a caravan in a field as well!!

I might have to send her the link though...you never know...

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

Totally agree, the TV companies don't want competance in this sort of show - they want "good TV" defined by them as arguing couples, people who fail to deliver on time, multiple crises and so on. I remember seeing one on iron age farming about 10 or so years back where they got a group of people to live in a roundhouse at Castell Henllys. Now a friend and me reckoned we could have done far better because we would have been organised, wouldn't have argued and would have been able to get on with the job without getting food poisoning.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot