Moving

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

Moving

My wife and I are packing up and moving clear across the continent, from British Columbia to Nova Scotia. It is mostly her idea - she's a native Nova Scotian, and the one defining characteristic of Nova Scotians is that they always want to move back there. She has family there: aging parents and a sister.

We will miss this unique island community. There is lots of "ish" here: actual back-to-the-land hippies from the 1960s and 70s, who never left. We have neighbours kitty-corner to our lot who live off the grid in a hand-built log house. That aspect of the life here will be hard to duplicate. I'm sure that there are a few ish-y people in Nova scotia, but we may have to put up with the odd redneck too.

Still, there are things we won't miss. Spending hours lining up for the ferry, not to mention the cost of same ($20 round trip, and that's just to get to the big island, not to the mainland). Being unable to attend evening events in town because of the risk of missing the last ferry. At concerts or plays, you can tell who the islanders are because they all get up and leave at 10:30, no matter what is going on. We had to walk out of an Agatha Christie play just as Hercule Poirot was gathering the suspects to identify the murderer! We won't miss that stuff.

A plus for me is that we will choose our new home with my hobby, astronomy, in mind. It will have a dark sky, and not be hemmed in by 40 metre tall trees. I plan to build an observatory when we get there.

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Moving

Keith,if you've been reading the last few months,you'll gather we've been through a similar thing,nothing like the distance(about 6 miles!!) but a completely different world just the same. For me,what I've given up has,and probably always will be,really difficult(although inevitable) but for the kids,even though they don't have the fields and the livestock,they are happier than they've ever been(near school,their friends,facilities etc,etc.) and we've all adapted really quickly.

No bull,You always come across as thoughtful,optimistic and above all positive.With that attitude you'll be moving to something better however brilliant the place you're leaving. Best Wishes,don't abandon us for some other crank site! (I thought Nova Scotia was just a place in a song by Carly Simon,I'll have to google it)..(and the Poirot?...it's so often the Doctor what did it.)

Good luck with your move,hope you find somewhere good.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Best of luck, Keith. I'm sure you'll find somewhere splendid, although, like OJ, I have no idea what Novia Scotia is like. But if it's anything like here (I'm guessing this is Scotia, right?) then you'll be very happy, I've no doubt. And a perfect place for an observatory - well in the winter months anyway :lol:

I think, for such a home-loving old bird, I must have a bit of wanderlust in me. We've just put our name down for one of the new woodland crofts they're doing up here. New starts are always so exciting - if a little stressful. :hugish:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

Good luck with the move and house hunting Keith. Please keep us posted about how things go - again, no idea about NS! We'll rely on you to inform and educate us about it!!

We've also had the wanderlust as we moved back to the UK from France this year mainly for the kids. Despite my worries, they have (like OJ's) settled really well. The oldest can now walk to see her friends rather than relying on "Mum's taxi" to chauffeur her about.

boboff

I thought the proclaimers went from Westeross to Nova Scotia?

Best of luck Kieth.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good luck. It takes a bit of time to settle down in a new place, but with your positive attitude and sunny disposition, you'll be grand.

Lyn

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Well would you believe I know of Nova Scotia.... Only because of the breed of dog. The dog looks a little like a Labrador or maybe a working collie but they are brown not black. Very controversial as the breed has only 9 bloodlines ( that's close). The dog is called the Nova Scotia duck Toller..

I hope you have a life.
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

Millymollymandy

Wow! I hope it all goes well for you and that you enjoy it in Nova Scotia. Good luck and all the best. :flower:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Best of luck Keith as you and I are about to become neighbours. :shock:
Nova Scotia is the next piece of land to the west for me, just a little piece of water in the way.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

happyhippy

Best of luck with your future move!Sounds like you have some interesting neighbours!xx

Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 44.44361
longitude: 26.14056

I've made two dramatic moves in my life and haven't regretted either. Good luck and don't forget to change your username to KeithNS! :)

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

LOL! Thanks all.

Yeah, the username is going to be awkward. It's going to be a hassle to change it. I may just keep it as a memento.

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

I just looked up Nova Scotia and it seams really nice! I think you will enjoy it there even if it does look like it may be quite populated... I am sure you can still find a nice clear spot away from the masses to look at the sky. :) I wish you the best of luck with the move.

Millymollymandy

Maykal wrote:Good luck and don't forget to change your username to KeithNS! :)
Oh, I thought BC was referring to his age ...... :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

spider8

I hope things are going well for you and your move. A new start and a way of using the knowledge gained from the old place to not make mistakes in the new! Hope you can find peace and good neighbours - worth their weight in gold - and life is sweet. Keep us all posted, good luck :cheers:
Life's a bitch and then you diet.