Getting ready for winter.

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
marshlander
A selfsufficientish Regular

Getting ready for winter.

Plenty of wood cut and stacked, freezer and pantry stocked up, heavy quilts on the beds and the garden doesn't look too bad - still a bit of cutting back and clearing away to do but on the whole, not bad. Ready for whatever this winter throws at us! We're so lucky really, cash poor but there's lots worse off!
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Re: Getting ready for winter.

We've got a massive stalk pile of wood that will do us at least the next 2 winters, so at least we will be warm! We just bought a new wood burning cooker, consisting of an oven as big as my electric oven and a full size hot plate on top. Can't wait to start cooking on it im really excited :lol:

Our freezer is almost full to the brim with various fruits and veg. Waiting on the pig, don't think it's going to fit!
I'v got all my bottles and jars of veg sauces, Ajvar, jams and compotes.
Peppers are strung up drying everywhere.
Iv brought the pot of lemon grass in to live on the windowsill over winter, its nice.
Got piles of potatoes, corn for the chickens, dryed white beans, apples, pears, wallnuts, hazlenuts and soon quince and this weird thing iv got no idea what it is. And we're selling the nuts, apples, pears, quince and the weird things for much needed MONEY :lol:
Next to do is make rakia from the grapes and possibly cider, apple cider vinigar and more rakia from the apples too. Thats all to sell as well by the way :lol: we don't drink. :roll:
And very soon the long awaited sweet potatoes will need dug up. Im keeping an eye on the forcast, as soon as it starts getting down to about 2-3 degrees at night ill dig them up, just before the frost. Can't wait to see if we actually get edible sized spuds.

I hope we make it! Good luck everyone, this is what its all about! :cheers:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Just got to smoke a few more sausages, and the belly of Pork, and that's us ready.

Oh Gawd, the OH just looked over shoulder, and reminded me about the wall papering that has to been done before Christmas. :roll: :roll:
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

She's getting lax - she didn't specify which year :iconbiggrin:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

MKG wrote:She's getting lax - she didn't specify which year :iconbiggrin:

Mike
........ or the Christmas of which religion. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Not really finished preparing yet--garden is put to bed in hopes for a better summer next year. Chicken coop is cleaned out and a thick layer of fresh bedding. Rabbits have yet to be moved into the barn and broilers have yet to be "relocated" to the freezer, gas needs to be run out of the mower and the chipper-shredder, and propane has yet to be ordered. But hey,...the generator is ready, should we get a nice October ice-storm!
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

But - as usual for the UK - we're having gorgeous weather at the moment. I'm taking advantage of it to attack all the jobs I couldn't do because of the broken arm. That, in turn, necessitates a flowing supply of red wine.

Hey - autumn isn't so bad!!

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Odsox wrote:
MKG wrote:She's getting lax - she didn't specify which year :iconbiggrin:

Mike
........ or the Christmas of which religion. :iconbiggrin:

As I'm pushing on, just to be on the save side you understand, I have been giving some thought to this subject and I have recently arrived at a Decision.
I am not sure under which religion this would come, but it would appear my way life leads me feel that my God should BACCHUS. :drunken:
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

The Riff-Raff Element

Pretty much everything harvested & stored, all preserves in jars (except the apple & quince jelly, which will be done tomorrow), wood stacking in progress. It's still pretty warm here - low twenties Celsius - so salami / chorizo / ham making will have to wait a while yet. It was, in the end, a pretty good year.

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

Wood all cut and stacked,although now hubby is back working he keeps bringing home off cuts so that's great,some wine is bottled,veg frozen,fruit made into jam and just some cooking apples and some pumpkins to deal with and I have some crafts to finish for my stall(christmas is a busy time).I do still have the patch to clear which I keep putting off as I feel so cold lately and it has been really windy/rainy this last week but I shall get to it and clean out the chickens too.Hubby still has to finish the roof before winter so we are praying for dry weather so he can finish the cementing of ridge tiles.No buckets this winter.........
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!

Flo

Blooming heck you lot - my allotment is a bog garden at the moment so there's a backlog of things to be done. Indoors is fit for winter - clean, decorated, food stocks built up, clothes sorted, credit in hand for the utilities and all that jazz. But the allotment!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone provide a dry three weeks!

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

We had the chimney swept this week. We have a two year supply of firewood in the woodshed. I need to get a jerry can of gasoline for the generator.

I still have to go pick some more apples and even a few late raspberries.