Choices, choices

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

Choices, choices

Pigs of polytunnel? I have some spare ground that is currently scrub. It could, I believe, either accommodate a pair fo pigs for fattening or I could put a polytunnel on it. I am torn. Which one to go for?

oldjerry

Re: Choices, choices

I've done this,so its not as mad as you think: Mark out the area for the tunnel,then add a couple of feet all round,fence with electric,chuck in an arc,4 months of the pigs,then rotovate ,then put tunnel up!

So basically,BOTH!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Being good at geography (not!) I've just googled your area and there seem to be an awful lot of outdoor swimming pools. I'm guessing your weather is a little better than ours :lol:

So I'd go with OJs suggestion, as far as marking out and getting the pigs - see how you like being a swineherd :lol: and then make your decision.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

2ndRateMind
Tom Good
Tom Good

Oh, the pigs, definately. If you are not planning on going anywhere, or have someone to look after them in your absence. Much more value in the meat than the veg. Good luck!

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like OJ's suggestion. Pigs first to rotovate and fertilise the ground and then polytunnel when the pigs have gone to the big pig heaven in the sky.... (I like pigs ok! I don't eat pigs so I don't like to think about the A place or the S place...).

red

pigs

if you get on well with keeping pigs and enjoy the resulting pork, then you can have pigs again next year. and if not, you can put the PT up on cleared ground :)
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

The Riff-Raff Element

Thanks for the replies. I need to give the matter more thought - I'm very keen to extend the growing season, but the idea of combining the two does appeal.

oldjerry

Bear mind,if they're weaned at say 10 weeks(might be a bit different over there) then you will have them 14 to 16 weeks.It's best to have them when you expect it to be relatively dry (otherwise you'll need a JCB not a rotovator!),so midsummer or midwinter is ideal,so time it accordng to your in/ tunnel growing season.(hope that makes sense).

boboff

if you haven't had pigs, then this is a must.
If you get some now, they will be slaughtered late November, that will give the Poo time to settle and wash, rotavate and put up polly tunnel in the Spring.
Job Done!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

grahamhobbs

The area you need for 2 pigs is surely going to be more than you need for a polytunnel, so why not construct a polytunnel on top of their shelter (ok an enlarged shelter). Raised up off the ground with the pigs under, the pigs will provide valuable heat on winter nights. You'd need to think about what you could grow your veg in, but perhaps you could exploit some sloping ground. I don't know I just thought I'd throw the idea in.

oldjerry

That's a wild idea! Sort of hen powered propagator on steroids! ( I was thinking 40' by 12' say for the tunnel,a good run for the pigs).

The Riff-Raff Element

That's the sort of space I have - it's actually part of the chicken's area, but they never range that far, so I've decided to reassign it. Negotiations are now in progress with OH.

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

The Riff-Raff Element wrote: Negotiations are now in progress with OH.

Good place to start, do the hard bits first.
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

OOh pigs definately!We had one and it filled a freezer so 2 would keep you in meat for ages and then you can put up the poly tunnel on the nicely fertilized roativated land!We went the whole hog(parden the pun)and had bacon,ham,sausages,roasting joints,chops etc and it fed our family for a year.A great experience too,the children loved the pig(with no name) but understood he was going off to be sausages.We are going to get 2 more very soon but I need to sort my freezer space first!
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!