The Beers of Britain

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Beers of Britain

I've been trying a few new beers lately, there is a seemingly never ending supply of new flavours and a few duds so what beers can you recomend? What should I be looking out for? What are the best beers of Britain?

I'd have to say my recent favourites have been - Arbor Ales Black Eyed PA, Old Engine Oil a porter from Harviestoun, and Pale rider (a pale ale) from Kelham Island brewery in Sheffield.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: The Beers of Britain

Here are a few of my favourites:

Ringwood Best.
Otter Ale
Butcombe Bitter
Bathams
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

phil55494
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Almost anything from the following breweries, Marble, Buxton, Magic Rock, RedWillow.

gregorach
A selfsufficientish Regular

Very much depends what you like... If you like Old Engine Oil, you should really try Ola Dubh, which is the whisky-aged version. All the other beers from Harviestoun are pretty good, especially Bitter & Twisted and Schiehallion (which is a lager). If you're into the whole hop-bomb thing, then the beers from Tempest are well worth a look. I also have to plug Tryst, especially Raj IPA and Blathan (which has a really good belt of elderflower in it). Also on the elderflower front there's Trade Winds from Cairngorm. On the dark side, you'd have to go a long way to beat Dark Island from The Orkney Brewery, unless of course you can find the Special Reserve version... Oh, and I also have to plug Fyne Ales, especially Jarl. And finally, not that you'll be able to find it, I have to put a shout out for DemonBrew, and not just because it's run by a mate of mine... :iconbiggrin:
Cheers

Dunc

John Headstrong

From Cornwall, proper job IPA by St Austell I got to drink it when it was a special brewing but it was so good it is now brewed all the time. beautiful stuff ! http://www.staustellbrewery.co.uk/

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Gosh, there are so many! I live in the Real Ale Capitol of the world, according to the Lonely Planet Guide, and there's about 290 different kinds available in the local pubs. My favourites that I go back to are the Wyre Piddle range, especially Piddle in the Dark if I fancy a bitter, and Buxton, Kinder Downfall in particular.

red

doombar from Sharps

otter

Jail Ale - from Dartmoor
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

John Headstrong

red wrote:doombar from Sharps
+1 for that.

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

gregorach wrote:On the dark side, you'd have to go a long way to beat Dark Island from The Orkney Brewery
I'll second Dark Island. The Bobbin on King Street had that on tap and it saw me through many a study session as a student in Aberdeen :drunken:

I was very relieved when I moved down to this neck of the woods to find that my local beershop has it in stock.. although to be fair, there's not much they don't have in stock.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

ktibble
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I live down the road from Hook Norton Brewery, they do a fantastic beer called "twelve days",

More importantly I spotted Banana beer in Sainsburys the other day (can't remember the make / brewer), despite sounding both random and rank, it actually tasted rather good - Is there any other secret fans out there ??!

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Badger Brewery brew Golden Glory which is peach flavoured and is lovely and refreshing. In fact it refreshes parts that other beers can't reach.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

ktibble wrote:More importantly I spotted Banana beer in Sainsburys the other day (can't remember the make / brewer), despite sounding both random and rank, it actually tasted rather good - Is there any other secret fans out there ??!
I'll admit to being rather partial to Banana Bread Beer, it's a Wells and Young brew.

One I tried sometime ago and have always enjoyed, but I can only rarely track down (even my local shop BoE lets me down on this one), is Morocco Ale from Daleside Brewery. It's a very nice beer, noticably spicey. Worth picking up a couple of bottles if you see it.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

sleepyowl

Rather fond of Wychwood & Batemans beers
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I second the recommendation for Schiehallion.

Also for Wychwood.

And I add Radgie Gadgie and Monkman's Slaughter (can't remember the breweries). Also, give the York Brewery's beers a go. Sadly, they don't usually get sold very far out of York. And Naturally, Black Sheep (Masham Brewery) is in my top ten!

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

A very good list is forming here cheers folks! I may as well come clean, my next book is going to be about beer and I'm forced to suffer for my art and travel the country in search of very good beer. What a bind eh ;)

I'm hoping that I can meet up with some of you and share a pint or two of your favourite ales. What say you?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging