Should I get a freezer?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
greenorelse
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

Re: Should I get a freezer?

I know Liebherr, Electrolux, LG, Samsung, Koc/Beko and Miele have connections with the armaments industry - Glen Dimplex, Whirlpool, Panasonic, Siemens, Bosch might be better bets (though they're just about all involved in dubious practices) but of course, it's up to you, TG.

British Red wrote:I see firearms as a good thing - so yes, I agree, why not support a company that builds a necessary and useful tool?
Heh heh. Do you hoard land mines and smart bombs, BR?

Not quite
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

Thurston Garden

I used to have Siemens Plessey kit amongst my military arsenal so they are out. I think there was a Bosch dishwasher in the galley too but maybe that does not count. :iconbiggrin:
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

contadina

You'd be very hard-pressed to find an ethical electronics manufacturer and very few people can afford to spend :roll: £1400 on a bespoke freezer.

The only caveat I have when buying electronic goods is that they were not produced in a sweatshop, so I check that the goods were made in Europe. Most electronic manufacturers and their component suppliers have clustered around eastern Europe where the wages are lower than western Europe, but conditions are no where near as bad as you will find in EPZs in Asia or the maquiladora in Mexico.

greenorelse

contadina wrote:You'd be very hard-pressed to find an ethical electronics manufacturer
Too true, sadly, though why it should often be so is annoying. I admit, some are better than others. And then there's Mondragon - I don't know much about them but they seem to be further down the 'ethical' route than other producers. Do you know them, contadina?

contadina wrote:very few people can afford to spend :roll: £1400 on a bespoke freezer.
Yep, it's pricey, possibly because of less of an environmental subisidy.
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

We run 3 freezers and use them to put extra veg and fruit that we grow,so that it keeps us fairly self reliant for the year in certain things,e.g. sprouts,carrots,plums etc.
We also use one just meat.
I definately think this saves money in the long term as we only go shopping once a month and again without a freezer I think we would be using the car more ad make more trips shopping etc.
So I would say yes to you getting a freezer!

British Red
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

greenorelse wrote:
Heh heh. Do you hoard land mines and smart bombs, BR?

Not quite
I don't hoard anything - I do ownsporting rifles and shotguns though. Some of my best friends are in the armed forces and I'm glad that they are well armed and equipped. Its very easy to sit back and say "wars are bad" (whilst of course enjoying the freedoms won by braver people) - however without the ability to resist tyranny, we would all be considerbaly less free than we are today. There is nothing "unethical" about the ability for a person, or a nation, to defend themselves or others. It would be woefully naive to think that without arms we would have any form of freedom or rights - rights and priveleges have been won on the edge of a sword and the point of a bayonet.
Com on wanre niht scriðan sceadugenga

greenorelse

Yeah, we're sad species alright.

ajs88
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We have a freezer because it came with the flat but I'm so tempted to get rid of it, we barely use it and must be costing a lot to run as I doubt its energy efficient, also its space and thats at a premium in a flat. It is useful for storing the odd mark down or leftovers, but I wonder how much this really saves in comparison to the running costs.