What would you do with ££££££s?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

What would you do with ££££££s?

On another thread
chickenchargrill wrote: On a positive note, one of my dreams is to do something a bit similar. Have a decent bit of farmland, invite folk to come live there and help out, grow their own food/make a living there if they could. But, and it's a huge condition, I would have to win the lottery or something so I had the money to pump into it to speed the initial process up. We'd build some houses and have them ready to live in, give them rent free to those willing to come help us work the land and if they stuck it out for a few months and wanted to stay, sign the house over to them so they could have it indefinitely. It's a dream so it's not something I've researched. If I did win the lottery though, I'd be on here asking soooo many questions.

So this got me wondering what ishy things you would an obscene amount of money.
I personally would like to build some social/eco decent houses with gardens as most of the new build in this area are shoebox sized flats and teeny houses. My husband would like to replace the local outdated maternity unit with a bright new one in memory of our stillborn daughter.

Oh I would hire a cleaner!

lovely idea Chickerchargrill - I'm interested if you win :icon_smile:

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: What would you do with ££££££s?

Well I'm afraid the big win didn't happen this week. The lovely Ishers would be offered first refusal if it ever does though. :icon_smile:

Peter, my other half, also wants some kind of community venue where he can hold comedy gigs, people can hold writing meetings, craft things, whatever, for free. He's got his eyes on an old church building in town that's up for sale. I would like a craft shop/tea rooms/bookshop thing in our little community place too.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

What would I do with ££££££s?
Probably change them to €€€€€€s. :lol:

Then I could spend some, but I've no idea what on.
Almost certainly give a lot away to the family, investment accounts for the grandchildren, but to be absolutely boring ... there's nothing much big I can spend it on that doesn't involve stopping what I do now, which is loitering about in my garden.
Long haul holidays, cruises, buying a yacht, multiple houses, would all mean stopping growing things and employing a gardener to take over would be akin to purgatory, having a stranger messing with my stuff.

If it really was an obscene amount, I would probably give most of it to various charities after making sure the family were well provided for.
Just goes to show what a boring old fart I am. :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

i want to start up an NGO for Prilep Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) which would consist of a rescue centre providing catch, neuter, release projects for the stray dogs and cats. we would also educate the public on the importance of sterilizing their pets to control stray animals, run dog classes ( obedience, agility, flyball ) with kids classes showing them how to have fun with their dogs as opposed to throwing rocks at them, and going round the schools educating the kids in dog safety.
we would also rescue donkeys and horses and teach the locals how to properly care for their animals so they will be in full health and able to work harder to produce more profit for the farmers/gypsys.
we would make an advert on the local and national television about what we are doing, giving advice on proper pet care, and details of how to contact us.

then once thats all up and running we can expand into the rest of the country.

thats what id like to do. we were looking into how to go about it but to start and NGO here i need to be Macedonian which im not , and to start a charity we need to open a bank account in the charity's name with 5000 euros in it, and we dont have 5000 euros so we gave up. :(

but if i even won the lottery thats what id like to do.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

The Riff-Raff Element

I stopped playing the lottery when I realised the horrible implications of winning. I like my house and my haphazard lifestyle. Blowed if I'm going to risk that on a lottery ticket :mrgreen:

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm with the Riff raff element.
I once thought how ace it would be to give my closest friends and family ( I figured there would be less than 50 of them) £50K each.
Wow what a windfall - how fabulous- you would think. But then I thought about how angry my sisters would be at only getting the same as my closest friends and worse how my closest friends would be able to make life changing decisions ( maybe leaving a spouse) eek
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'd make Ish Village (Or Ish-Under-The-Table as I think we said we'd call it) a reality!

And I'd set up a nice campsite with festival allowance and licences.

sleepyowl

Similar to Fee Fairy, buy a Victorian/Edwardian farm so I can make it look steampunky, set up camping/glamping facilities, festival license, marriage license/civil partnership license but would have to also have an apartment in Brum so I could still run the moot & carry on with the chaplaincy work. Would set up a mini music studio for my other half (wind or solar powered). I would get some sweet as talks from various experts at the moot. Get some more tattoos
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

boboff

I would buy fancy flash cars, big houses with Swimming pools, sleep with Young blondes with big boobs and get drunk on champagne.

Oh and I would get a megga Polly tunnel.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Being from the old school, and a tight Sod to boot, the only Bank account I hold is for use, where folk won't take real money, and all my life I have paid cash, when I needed, or wanted something I saved and then bought it. I built my own small company, worked hard and saved money to buy a Wine Bar. I worked during the day building theatre décor, and in the evening, in the Wine bar. I bought my first house for cash," well it was a house after we finished it " In the late 80's we sold up every thing, and then bought our place in the sun for cash, I moved to France with my 11yr old Daughter while my ex wife stayed in the Uk. I now live on a small pension and grow most of my and OH.s own food and share our live's with family and small circle of wonderful friends.

So to answer the Question is, that I would give it all away, to any Charity , whose"s administration cost's, were less than 1/20th the income PA.

Sorry about the screed but in my view, many charities would not needed, if people took responsibly for their own actions, desire's, greed, but then again who am I to Judge, after all I am just an old fart who will soon be in the ground, back from whence I came, my Beloved Nature.
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

boboff wrote:I would buy fancy flash cars, big houses with Swimming pools, sleep with Young blondes with big boobs and get drunk on champagne.

Oh and I would get a megga Polly tunnel.
Suggest you get the Polly tunnel first after a lack of sleep from Sleeping with young blonds with big boobs, the sunburn, from lazing around the swimming pool, and chasing the cleaning lady around your big house, you maybe too knackered to put the thing up.
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

oldfella wrote:lack of sleep from Sleeping with young blonds with big boobs, you maybe too knackered to put the thing up.
:oops: :oops: :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

oldjerry

[quote="boboff"]I would buy fancy flash cars, big houses with Swimming pools, sleep with Young blondes with big boobs and get drunk on champagne.

Me too.............and the rest I'd just squander.

that_sarah_girl
Tom Good
Tom Good

After paying off some debts and putting down a deposit on a house with a garden for myself (currently renting a place with a tiny yard) I would spend it doing up old buildings around Greater Manchester.

There are some brilliant buildings around here I bet looked amazing in their hay day, which have got abandoned/run down...it seems like such a waste!
I would probably convert them into youth clubs and affordable housing for families because I'm sick of seeing hundreds of new 1 and 2 bedroom flats being built, leaving not-so-well-off families living in crampped conditions.

gregorach

I've always kinda fancied a secret base in an extinct volcano, an army of mooks, and a collection of doomsday devices... :wink:
Cheers

Dunc