Sodding flipping smegging computer!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sodding flipping smegging computer!

I am posting this as a vent but being such a capable bunch of folk you may have some idea what is going on here...My internet connection is apparently fine, my computer is apparently fine as I have tested using another computer and got the same result. The browser doesn't seem to be the issue as I am onto my fourth now and they are all behaving the same... There are many pages that simply time out before loading and images never load on Google+ anymore which means I haven't seen more than a blurry thimbnail of Annpan's new henhouse or anyone elses pictures for weeks!!'Things seem to be worse if the page is secure... It would appear that the speed is fluctuating or something but I have no idea what is wrong or where to start so I will start by removing and changing anti-virus and malware but it is so frustrating as the ISP just tells me everything is OK!!!! GRRRR!!!!
"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

my blog: http://thedullroarphilosophy.blogspot.com/

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Sodding flipping smegging computer!

Unplug the phone from the router, see if that helps, your dongle thingy that splits the phone line might be playing up.

Failing that, turn your computer off, then on again.

That will be £127.50 please.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

also check any router connections and settings.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

The Riff-Raff Element

We had a similar problem which turned out to be due to our anti-virus software. It was one of those that downloads updates to the software (not just the virus definitions, but programe upgrades). We were running an older version of Windows and an upgrade came in which just made the two things incompatable. We installed another antivirus program and all was well.

Carltonian Man

If you have an ethernet connection try fitting a new cable

dave45

Download puppy linux, burn it to CD and try booting it up from that. No AV required or needed, browsers built-in. If that works OK go back to Windows and uninstall the AV to see if it fixes it.

Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

I am trying a new antivirus so will see if that helps...if not I will try the Linux thing thanks!
"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

Flo

Run a scan for virus, malware and anything else. Clear all your browsing history (could be you have run out of memory somewhere). Clear out your cookies, do a disk clean up. You may just have a bung up somewhere in the system and clearing out all the corners will get rid of it.

The Riff-Raff Element

Flo wrote:Run a scan for virus, malware and anything else. Clear all your browsing history (could be you have run out of memory somewhere). Clear out your cookies, do a disk clean up. You may just have a bung up somewhere in the system and clearing out all the corners will get rid of it.
Good idea - Ccleaner is a program (and it is a happily small application) that I have used with success:

http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

The Riff-Raff Element wrote:
Flo wrote:Run a scan for virus, malware and anything else. Clear all your browsing history (could be you have run out of memory somewhere). Clear out your cookies, do a disk clean up. You may just have a bung up somewhere in the system and clearing out all the corners will get rid of it.
Good idea - Ccleaner is a program (and it is a happily small application) that I have used with success:

http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER
unfortunately I have done all that and it just isn't helping. Does anyone know if I need to run the Windows Firewall if I have Avast AV running? As it seems to be worst when I am on secure sites I wonder if it is a firewall thing?

The Riff-Raff Element

It could be the firewall. Try turning it off (but have an extinguisher to hand :iconbiggrin: )

Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

*sigh* that didn't work either, I will have to bite the bullet and contact reasonably price tech guy. He is a genius as far as I am concerned and even cleaned the tea off my computer once...