frugal, its making me an outcast

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
giz
Tom Good
Tom Good

frugal, its making me an outcast

Ok..
so, let me say, im 25, just left the army 2 yrs ago.

SO, i live in my friends house as i ant afford my own place, (council wont help me cos im a dog owner) so im here while shes in the army, i dont pay any bills, just the eletric.

i dont have a Job(im looking) i closed my own pet shop, as i got in to about 1k of debt as it wasnt making the money..

now, why i need a rant/talk.
all my friends have a snide dig at me, EVEN my New man is really snobby about my life.

i eat only cheap and nasty food, eg 9p noodles and 47p bread. i like them, and the price.
i dont have any heating, (even when it was -19 here)
i dont buy clothes if i dont need to, and i dont wash em till they Need it.
i dont drink, smoke or go out.
i LOVE Freeccyccle and a Swear Carboots and selling stuff.. OHHH love it, running out of things to sell now thou. lol
I grow my own, OK iv only got herbs, tatties, rhubarb, onions and fruit trees.. BUT its somthing. lol.

BUT im still always skinto.

i know where my money goes to.. my dogs, well all my animals, i have dogs, cats, bunnies,chiccckens and a pony.. so there all im interested in.. but i seem to be a outcast ccos of this.

now.. come on guys,.. i know you all love this life, and i do to,. Just sometimes i gets to me how others look down their noses.

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: frugal, its making me an outcast

Sorry to be blunt - but if these "friends" are making you feel uncomfortable you may need to ask yourself how good they are as friends. Friends are people who love and accept you for who you are they don't look down their noses at you. If you are happy with who you are and how you live and you cause no-one else any harm, discomfort or negativity then go for it and sod 'em!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

giz wrote:i know where my money goes to.. my dogs, well all my animals, i have dogs, cats, bunnies,chiccckens and a pony.. so there all im interested in.. but i seem to be a outcast ccos of this.
I know you'll hate me for saying this but I think you might have answered your own question. I know you really are a lovely person but do you think you might be spending so much time being lovely to your pets that maybe you don't save enough of it for other people?

Zoe

giz
Tom Good
Tom Good

why should i spendit on people?? LOL...
i just mean... Even when i have money i wouldnt spend it on folks.. no one ever gives me anything.
main whinge was about how, WHY do people seem the need to think us fruuuuuuuglars are something of a Less worthy person, simply ccos we get exited at the fat somethings free.. or,, we get happy when growing our own?? i live in the midddle of town, and folk My age are all Pissed, drugges and got about twenteen kids... gashhh tahts what i say... wish i was a farmer id be happy then.. lol

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've pretty much cut contact with anyone who might look down their noses. I'm damned proud of the way we live, we haven't saved lots, yet what we have is ours (except the house). Occasionally, I may have a bit of a disagreement with my dad, whose version of cheap isn't the same as mine, but other than him...

It could be that people see you as neglecting yourself just to spoil the dogs, but if you're happy - stuff them xx

giz
Tom Good
Tom Good

yeah think thats bout right... i tell you i just Wish i could go baccck about 50 odd years... back in the days.. lol..

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Hmmm, I wasn't actually talking about spending money on other people, rather giving your time, support and compassion. I find if you treat people the way you want them to treat you then then that's what you get.

But, if you jump in with both feet without properly listening to them or taking the time to understand them then they'll soon get bored and give up.

You tend to get what you give in this life. As the song says, if you don't have money, give your heart.

I'm sure you'll work it out.

giz
Tom Good
Tom Good

PAHHHH Thomzo.. i get walked over so muccch.. iv helped soo many people, i never stop, i always work for cchairty, i take care of people i know need it. as i said, i was in the army... . But.. i dunno.. im just in one of the.. gahh moods.

prison break fan

Hope you are feeling better for your rant Giz! I know exactly how you feel, I'm forty years older than you, and have always had much the same reaction from people!I live in a very small village, always worked - retired now - but because of my simple lifestyle my neighbours feel sorry for me! They see me bringing home wood from my walks with the dog, then sawing it up, and they feel very smug sitting in their centrally heated houses! I have a wood burning Rayburn so by my efforts have free heat, cooking and hot water. I have two allotments and mostly grow all my veg. Jumble sales or charity shops for my clothes etc. and wouldn't have it any other way! I could go on........... pbf.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

I, too, live in a small village, and most people know me and what I do. To be frank, I couldn't care less if anyone thinks my lifestyle a tad odd - but they don't seem to (in fact, a couple of them are beginning to emulate it). If anyone did get a bit "uppish" about it and start to sneer, then it would amuse me more than anything else. A couple of "How much did you pay? Well I got the same thing for half that" comments usually work wonders.

It's a matter of self-confidence, I think, Giz. If you're doing what you do because you want to, then it's no-one's business but your own. You have to learn not to allow people with very conventional mentalities to get to you. That includes your "New Man". I have to be honest - if that was my "New Woman" and I saw the vaguest hint of a sneer, she would very rapidly be "Ex-New Woman".

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

pops
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

pbf - your life sounds as close to perfect as i could desribe!

MKG totally agree re self confidence: giz, enjoy your life, enjoy your animals and relax! laughter really is the best medicine and it's true that happy positive people attract others, they attract good luck and make the most our of whatever happens to and around them. it's your life, don't work yourself to death for free (charities can undervalue their workers just like private business, in fact they can be worse for taking advantage) put some value on your time and on yourself

ok sounding like a proper hippy now! but it's all meant well ;) good vibes giz, that's the key ^_^

eco-mick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

giz wrote:Ok..
so, let me say, im 25, just left the army 2 yrs ago.

SO, i live in my friends house as i ant afford my own place, (council wont help me cos im a dog owner) so im here while shes in the army, i dont pay any bills, just the eletric.

i dont have a Job(im looking) i closed my own pet shop, as i got in to about 1k of debt as it wasnt making the money..

now, why i need a rant/talk.
all my friends have a snide dig at me, EVEN my New man is really snobby about my life.

i eat only cheap and nasty food, eg 9p noodles and 47p bread. i like them, and the price.
i dont have any heating, (even when it was -19 here)
i dont buy clothes if i dont need to, and i dont wash em till they Need it.
i dont drink, smoke or go out.
i LOVE Freeccyccle and a Swear Carboots and selling stuff.. OHHH love it, running out of things to sell now thou. lol
I grow my own, OK iv only got herbs, tatties, rhubarb, onions and fruit trees.. BUT its somthing. lol.

BUT im still always skinto.

i know where my money goes to.. my dogs, well all my animals, i have dogs, cats, bunnies,chiccckens and a pony.. so there all im interested in.. but i seem to be a outcast ccos of this.

now.. come on guys,.. i know you all love this life, and i do to,. Just sometimes i gets to me how others look down their noses.

No, your not an outcast - living within your means - if only I can find a lady/girlfriend/wife with the same outlook in life as you

Enjoy it.. sod their little sad lives. I bet they will be the 1st to moan about rising heating and food costs.

Mick

giz
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thank sguys.. yes i feel better for my rant today.... LOL..
I Will try and keep it all on board, as you know things just get on top of you sometimes eh..
and yes i do love the free things in life... even, id rather go clime a Mountin rather than go to some club.. yakk.. ahh him to old for my own good.. lol..
but hey. its what makes us all unique isnt it... Have a good day guys.. (i just seen my first red strawberry.. im SOOO off to eat it. lol)

happyhippy

If everyone was the same,life would be boring right?I live in a small village and pretty much get ignored by the locals which is very unfortunate.Its their problem though.If you lived near me I would defo invite you in for a cuppa! :iconbiggrin: Stay true to who you are,and if people can't accept that,then maybe they're not worth knowing!

Awne
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Reading this I realise how lucky I am...there are 5 houses here, we all rent from the old guy in the manor house (as run down as ours) who owns the village, everyone grows their own food and shares, no one dresses up as there is no where to go...I have to walk 3 miles to catch a bus. we live in scruffs and wellies...if anyone is going into town they ask if anyone needs anything. No one looks down on anyone because everyone is the same, everyone pulls together, its kinda like going back in time. Take no notice of other people and enjoy what youre doing x