Whats age got to do with it???

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Whats age got to do with it???

Ok I'm about to turn 50 and I really don't have a problem with that.Infact I feel quite proud to be turning 50!Its other people it seems that have the problem with age!I remember when I had my 21st birthday.I was thinking "Ok so now I'm supposed to turn into an adult?Well it did'nt happen lol!!! Then 30 came along.People were saying "My god,30 eh?Nope nothing happened.Then 40,the supposedly big 40?Got loads of cards with 40 emblazoned all over them,with life begins or whatever?Now I'm about to turn 50 and truly to not feel any different about this than I was turning 21!People at work have been smirking,and making comments like "Ugh!!!!!The big 50???or "One foot in the grave eh?So why can't any of these birthdays be positive?Whats wrong with turning 50 and actually embracing it?Why the negativity that surrounds it?I am going to treat this brithday like every other birthday.To me turning 50 is no different than turning any other age,or am I missing something?Do people assume its all downhill once you turn 50?I certainly don't think so,what are your thoughts?

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

Re: Whats age got to do with it???

We do as a society seemed a bit obsessed with age. Newspapers and the media always tell us someone's age in any report as if it matters. I'm not interested in age of people. People who tell me their age are silly and personality if much more important. You're as old as you feel.

grahamhobbs

It's downhill or uphill, depending on how you look at it, from the day you are born. Each day is a day closer to death, but each day is another of life.
On my 50th, we took over a courtyard surrounded by workshops on two floors (that as a builder I was working on) and had bands, DJ's and chillout in different workshops and braziers in the courtyard, we went on 'till 4.00 in the morniing. Couldn't have done that when I was 20 or 30, wouldn't have known that many friends to invite.

AngeB
Tom Good
Tom Good

I absolutely love celebrating birthdays. It's much more important than any other celebrations, because you and everyone around you celebrates you being alive. I have just turned 30 this past year and just saw it as a reason to celebrate even more. 50 years of life is a pretty good thing to celebrate I think. Will people be saying to you 'ooh, turning 53 are you, ooh'. No they won't. It's very bizaare that people get so down about their age when they hit x0, I hated my teens and would never want to be there ever again. I'm hoping when I get to sixty I'll be on countdown to retirement and spending my days on hobbies, in the full knowledge that by then I truly know how to do it my own way. But then what do I know, I'm a whipper snapper :lol:
I changed my signature because it was rubbish; I like what you said

Jessiebean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ha! Worrying about being older (healthy, but older) is such a First World Problem... We civilised Westerners *ahem* are so good and inventing problems when there aren't any there!
People who worry too much about age haven't found happiness within themselves and are to be pitied.. I havea theory (Half baked) that if you are happy enough with where you are and what you have achieved you don't get hung up about age. My 30 didn't worry me too much (I am just using more sunscreen and moisturiser as I am a bit too vain for my own good) but I am married with two kiddies and we have our own business and (mortgaged) property... if I was still in a share house trying to be an actor and doing part time waitressing I might have had a "crisis". Of course being happy enough where you are doesn't have to mean living up to other peples standards either...
So remember when someone tries to scare you about being 50 that they probably haven't got the sense of self that you do and feel sorry for them!
"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.”

my blog: http://thedullroarphilosophy.blogspot.com/

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Well Hippy Burpday to you :grouphug: and many happy returns of the day when it comes, - sheesh you're but a bairn - enjoy it and thumb yer nose at all the misery gutses :wave:

the year I was fifty I decided I would buy a motorbike and take my test :mrgreen:
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

I just think you are of a sensational vintage.

When I was 21 my Mum had to buy 1960 champagne 'cos 1961 was too expensive!

I'll join the half century club later this year: up to my knees in mud with any luck!

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Millymollymandy

Yeah me too I'm in my 50th year and can hardly believe it - like where did the time go? I'm quite looking forward to it really. :thumbright:

My mum will be 80 soon and I am organising a party for her (it's what she wants!) and she seems really pleased to be turning 80! :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Talking about parties, I have definitely GOT to go back to the UK this autumn some time.
My father in law will be 85, my mother in law will be 79 and they will be celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary. :occasion7:
Don't think I can talk my way out of that one. :lol:

Happy birthday Happyhippy, you still have a long way to go. :cheers:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

happyhippy

Thankyou for all the positive replies,such nice people on this site,guess I just got bombarded with negative folk at work passing their ridiculous comments.I'm quite a positive person by nature and look at turning 50 as no different than any other birthday.Hell I'm still cimbing tree's,jumping round the loungeroom to my favourite rock music,and generally not acting my age(whatever you're supposed to act like at nearly 50 lol)Snapdragon I am getting strong urges to get on a motorbike(used to be married to a biker in Oz)so that may just happen this year!lol I think its true also as someone else mentioned,its where you are with life and what you've done.I've definately always lived life to the fullest and really why should that change when you get older?Its only your own mind that puts limitations on what you can do/can't do,and there is nothing to fear except fear itself!

Big Al

happyhippy wrote:Ok I'm about to turn 50 and I really don't have a problem with that.Infact I feel quite proud to be turning 50!Its other people it seems that have the problem with age!I remember when I had my 21st birthday.I was thinking "Ok so now I'm supposed to turn into an adult?Well it did'nt happen lol!!! Then 30 came along.People were saying "My god,30 eh?Nope nothing happened.Then 40,the supposedly big 40?Got loads of cards with 40 emblazoned all over them,with life begins or whatever?Now I'm about to turn 50 and truly to not feel any different about this than I was turning 21!People at work have been smirking,and making comments like "Ugh!!!!!The big 50???or "One foot in the grave eh?So why can't any of these birthdays be positive?Whats wrong with turning 50 and actually embracing it?Why the negativity that surrounds it?I am going to treat this brithday like every other birthday.To me turning 50 is no different than turning any other age,or am I missing something?Do people assume its all downhill once you turn 50?I certainly don't think so,what are your thoughts?
I'm 50 in October and the only thing that will do to me is make me play on the kids swings, be daft, annoy people and act my shoe size a bit slower !!
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Millymollymandy

Hey there's quite a few of us who are going to be 50 this year! :cheers: 4 so far..... :thumbright: :sunny:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think I shall have to leave this forum. it's full of old people. :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

Odsox wrote:I think I shall have to leave this forum. it's full of old people. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly, it's all complete nonsense how old you are. I have never seen the point in celebrating birthdays at all. Why do we do it? I try to resist each year and end up getting hauled out for surprise birthday meals/drinks etc. I couldn't care less. I'd rather go out to celebrate some little pleasure that may come along unexpectedly than be forced to celebrate my birthday which to me means nothing. BTW I am available for next auditions to 'Grumpy old/middle aged/young Men'
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

Happy birthday to all the nearly 50!! :iconbiggrin:
Actually as some have already started talking about not "behaving their age", are there any things you are very proud to have done "at the so called "wrong age"?