weight loss group

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: weight loss group

Milims wrote:Can someone please explain the Kj/Kcal thing? I just looked here: http://www.unit-conversion.info/energy.html and apparently a 40kcal caramel rice cake is 40,000 calories????? :shock:
A joule is a unit of energy and 1 joule = 0.239005736 calories. Therfore a Kj is 239.005736 calories.

A kc is 1000 calories. Could your caramel cake have 40Kj or 9560 ish calories?
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

eco-mick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Not being in a while but some good news...

I can get into a size 36" jeans now :thumbright: :thumbright: (bit tight on the top part of the belly but its in the right direction. After all have been noticable since my work bottoms kept having to have reajustments while I am working away in the trailer. So out came a belt just to hold them up lol. Suppose it could have been all of that HM Ginger cake thats going the job :lol:

Weight is 17st 4lbs at the moment, but I am going to stop doing these weighing in as I rather work on the bases of jeans getting loose/tight of telling me of my progress :cooldude:

Big Al

Thats good for you Ecomick. I got into a pair of 42" jeans today and they were comfortable to wear all day. Still far to big but my jeans were 54" waist about 3 years ago, lol.
I've not been weighed today as I forgot but I feel thinner, tomorrow will tell when I get weighed.

Anyone else want to declare a weight this week?

BA
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Penny Lane

Yep, me! Down a pound. Sounds ok but I put on three last week!!!
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Milims wrote:Can someone please explain the Kj/Kcal thing? I just looked here: http://www.unit-conversion.info/energy.html and apparently a 40kcal caramel rice cake is 40,000 calories????? :shock:
I've been similarly horrified by the kcal units, but learnt to my relief that one kcal is the same thing as what we usually refer to as one calorie (though scientifically speaking, a calorie is one thousandth of this).

This is helpfully explained here:
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories.htm

I think the dieting industry is just trying to confuse us! :?
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Big Al

Penny Lane wrote:Yep, me! Down a pound. Sounds ok but I put on three last week!!!

Well done penny lane. A pound down is better than 3 pound on so it's in the right direction. If you see my post of a couple of weeks ago where I put on 6.6 pounds in one week to give you encouragement !!

This week I've lost 1 kg / 2.2 pounds and mrs BA has gone down 2 pounds
Secret Asparagus binger

Keaniebean

I'm up 2 lbs in two weeks, but I haven't been thinking about diet at all. I will get back to it this week, I'd like to see a good weight loss just in time for my birthday, so I can eat cake, :lol:

Alarmingly I tried to change my little tracker but when I put my password in someone else's tracker came up, they had less to loose than me so I don't know who it was but I hate them :angryfire: :angryfire: :wink:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Marmalady
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

:(

one pound up this week

*must stop nibbling on cheese*

Big Al

Keenibean, don't think about dieting as that cunjurs up deprivation and lack of food etc think more of changing your food intake. I know it can be difficult to think about weight loss if other things are at the forfront of your mind etc but keep the faith and it will come off.
Secret Asparagus binger

Milims

Thanks for explaining the kcal/calorie thing Zech - it's a lot less scary now! :iconbiggrin:
Keenie - I've found that thinking about what I'm doing as changing my life for the better and learning new good habits, rather than "going on a diet" has really helped. I've taken to going for a long walk along the beach with my friends, a couple of mornings a week, doing a Zumba class and most lately a pilates class - more exercise that I've ever done before - but it's given me something to look forward to rather than sitting on my bum nibbling and drinking wine - I'm now back to mad dancing round the kitchen! :lol: . The knock on effect is that I have more energy and enthusiasm, I'm less "hungry" (for that read bored so I eat!) I've also begun eating a simple but filling breakfast (oats and seeds with milk on) and reducing my protion sizes - and really that's it - not calorie counting, no weighing and measuring my food, not fussing just small positive changes to bad habits. I know that I haven't actually lost anything over the last 2 weeks - but nor have I put anything on, and I'm more toned and energetic. Keep up the good work hun - it's not a hard slog it's a positive challenge :hugish: OH - and enjoy the cake! :wink:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Graye

I lost 2kg this fortnight so 5.5kg so far. I'm pretty pleased as I've just had the worst cold I think I've ever had and a chest infection too. It didn't make me over-eat but I've hardly moved off my backside for a week!
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

prison break fan

Absolutely agree with Milims that a change of attitude is the way to go. Let's ban the word diet! I find at the moment I am very affected by the weather. If it is raining, all I want to do is eat, but come the sunshine anything is possible. pbf.

Penny Lane

Big Al wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:Yep, me! Down a pound. Sounds ok but I put on three last week!!!

Well done penny lane. A pound down is better than 3 pound on so it's in the right direction. If you see my post of a couple of weeks ago where I put on 6.6 pounds in one week to give you encouragement !!

This week I've lost 1 kg / 2.2 pounds and mrs BA has gone down 2 pounds

Thanks Al :)
And well done on your weight too!
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

Keaniebean

OK, I think nobody told my body that I am NOT a Neanderthal man, because all I have done is crave really high protein high fat foods for the past week. It is about time someone let my innards know that I am a 21st centuary woman and I should be eating like one.

Anyway the good news is that in 6 weeks I have lost 6 lbs :cheers: and since this time last year I have lost a stone so by my calculations by the year 2020 I shall be my target weight :shock: :iconbiggrin:

All this preamble just so I can tell you all I gained another 1lb this week. I think I can hear my old school teachers in my head saying 'could try harder'. :lol:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Milims

And for the third week in a row I've lost nowt! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!