Looking to move to a rural location.

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
thesunflowergal
A selfsufficientish Regular

Looking to move to a rural location.

Hubby has got a job interview in a serious rural location, on Sark. We have been looking for somewhere to move to, that would give us a better stand of living ie more space to be more ish, safer for our children etc etc.
Before we spend money getting to another interview I am trying to find out whether this could be a feasable option for us. I am trying to explore all the avenues. Has anyone got any ideas, or points that I should be considering please? I ask you all because I know that lots of you have made moves of this kind.
I have been busy looking into rental properities, schools, lots of general info on the place as I have never been there (i would visit if the process went further)
Thanks Nikki
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Re: Looking to move to a rural location.

Wow, that is seriously stunning. Good luck to him. All I can say is you'd better open a b&b so we can all come to stay. You guys are resourceful and sensible. Why not go for it? Oh, just googled houses to rent on Sark, better get the new employers to give him a relocation package.

Good luck
Zoe

oldjerry

The employer surely wont expect a member of their staff to live in a tent,there must be some kind of accomodation there(and given the remote and rural location I shouldn't be surprised if it's rather nice!) Schools etc. ditto.
25 years ago you wouldn't have seen me for dust.If you dont get it thats one thing ,if you dont follow it up what will your thoughts be time to come?
As a bloke from Peckham once said: ''The world is your lobster'' !!
Good Luck and best Wishes.

Millymollymandy

Is Sark the island where they don't have any cars? Sounds pretty rural to me! The downside as I see it is not just the remoteness, it's the fact you can't just get in a car and drive to a town/city even it is is hours away, you have to take a boat! I can't advise as I don't know anything about the place but good luck whatever you decide to do. :thumbright:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

bonniethomas06

Oooh Nikki that is amazing, life changing stuff. I say jump right in with both feet!

If your husband was to get the job, you don't have to stay forever...even if you were only there for a couple of years, it would enrich your lives and give your children new experiences - we moved around every 2 years when I was a child (dad in forces) and it really broadened my horizons and made me more confident in meeting new people.

I would move there in a shot. Me and OH had this discussion when we went woofing on an outer hebridean island croft. He was not so keen, but I would be up there in a shot. Forgive me if this is naive, but you would have time and space and clean air to experience the things in life that matter. I bet there is much more of a community up there than in most large towns and that it is much safer. And no psycho trolley stealing neighbours!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Spent a holiday there many years ago, it's another world, however if you want the bright lights, and the all the trappings off "modern way of life" forget it. All I can say is that I loved it. Good luck with whatever you decide. :hugish:
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

pelmetman

Sorry don't know much about Sark although with any move to a new area you have to consider the fact you will be moving away from friends and family, I know they can always visit but if you are used to just popping round etc you may find you miss them more than you'd banked on. You will also have to count in the costs of returning to the mainland for visits from time to time.

Also the cost of moving within the mainland can be very expensive so would imagine it will be even more to Sark.

Having said this if your hubby gets the job it would be a wonderful experience for your and your family and if you decide that this is for you - go for it. I wish you well and whatever happens hopes he soon finds employment.

Sue :flower:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Good luck, what-ever you decide, but I'd say 'Go For It!'

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Just a thought, was there about 45yrs ago so its probably changed quite a lot, :dontknow:
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

Mylovelyhorse
Tom Good
Tom Good

Sark is very beautiful. It has a school, and a fair number of houses. It even has vehicles (tractors are permitted, I think!).

Plus points: it's small, safe and gorgeous. You could certainly be more ISH there.

Negatives: it's a small island, which can take a little adjusting to if you're not used to island life. There will be periods of the year when you're cut off from the mainland. And if you don't happen to get on well with your neighbours, or fit in with the accepted lifestyle, you may find this difficult to cope with.

More research and a visit recommended, if the application does go further...

Good luck!
MLH x

thesunflowergal

Thanks everyone for their best wishes and input!!
Its would be mean a massive change to us thats why i was trying to give it some major thought before the recuitment process went further.
Thomzo - Of course you can come and stay, if we did move.
Oldjerry - they provide accomodation for single staff, and not for families. We would need to find something ourselves, and thats a major expense. £1,200 a month for a two bed, with have three kids and could really do with at least a three bed.
MMM- thats right no cars!!
Bonnie- thanks for that!! We would need to be back in time for my eldest to start secondary school.
Sue- Thanks I did not think to factor in the cost of return visits, good thinking.

I will let you know what happens , Nikki
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

TheGoodEarth
Living the good life
Living the good life

I think my main concern would be cabin fever and the feeling of isolation in the winter when you can't get back to the mainland in case of an emergency.
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery

Millymollymandy

I was just wondering, if there are no cars on Sark then what do you do when you get the ferry to Jersey or the mainland, have to hire a car every time? :dontknow: It could get expensive.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/