In what ways aren't you green?

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

In what ways aren't you green?

We all work hard at being as green as we can be, but I'm sure that there are certain greennesses that are difficult to accommodate. For me it's cotton wool - I use it every day and find it hard to accommodate the cost of organic/fair trade cotton wool against the own brand stuff. Foil is another one - although I only use it on occasion, I simply can't justify the cost of the eco friendly stuff.
So go on - admit your green sins! :evil1:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

battybird

Re: In what ways aren't you green?

I drive or fly to Portugal as often as I can, so my carbon footprint is certainly not green! I tell myself that it is balanced by the fact that in portugal we are pretty well zero footprint but I am not sure it works out equal! BUT our sanity depends on it, so thats my excuse :oops: i laso dont (obviously!!) use electricity, gas and lots of ungreen things in Uk when I am not there ( as well as money!) so that is another excuse. I am sure there are many other sins against the green movement but thats the worst I can think of at the moment! I am really just greenish! :mrgreen:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

I drive far too much. I really could walk down to the hardware store and carry my bag of nails back up the hill, and it probably wouldn't matter that I lost 45 minutes of working time while I do it, but I usually drive instead. :oops: We like oranges and lemons and avocados and other fruits that don't grow anywhere near here and have to be shipped.

homegrown
Living the good life
Living the good life
Location: North Canterbury, NZ, somewhere between reality and heaven

Living rural we relie on our vehicles to move our produce but we can't afford an eco car

I still have a computer, cell phone, tv and othe such items which are extremely hard to recycle when caput.

I can't afford the eco friemdly products here in NZ even though I know the planet can't either.
Our remote ancestors said to their mother Earth, "We are yours."
Modern humanity has said to Nature, "You are mine."
The Green Man has returned as the living face of the whole earth so that through his mouth we may say to the universe, "We are one."

Author Unknown

Helsbells

I have been driving to work this year have not cycled at all. Also I am not organised enough to cook all my meals so often buy convenience food like veggie burgers.

citizentwiglet

I've just taken a load of the kids' old toys to the dump. When I say 'toys', I mean 'broken bits of shite that I couldn't even get rid of on Freecycle, let alone give to the charity shop'. I mean, why the f%ck do they make toys for pre-schoolers out of a million bits of snappable plastic that get lost in seconds, rendering the toy useless within a day or so? (I'm talking the 'packaway' kitchen, the 'packaway' garage, the crash 'n' go skaletrix thing that will never work once a strut has disappeared). Thankfully I never bought any of these things, they were gifts. If you can't give the bloody bits away, what do you do?? I can't keep them in the house indefinitely.

Oh, and I drink too much red wine, in green bottles, which have little recyclable value. Have swapped to a wine in a clear bottle, LOL.

And I smoke fags. Damn me.
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

crowsashes

i still use disposable nappies.... with the weather being so damp and not wanting or even affording a tumble dryer or having the heating on excessively (means terry nappies never seem to dry :roll: ) its only one per night though :thumbright: now 3 yr old is daytime potty trained!!

im also guilty of 'convenience' food but usually it is from the 'just before we cant legally sell it but its still really good and edible and will fill you up for a measly 10p' pile :mrgreen: so i feel better having rescued a pizza from the bin!

i still use a computer, two in fact :oops: but they have been upgraded a ridiculous amount of times with spares off freecycle as no one seems to bother having 2 40gb hard drives instead opting for a brand spanking new one... my pc in total cost £30 and that was for a second hand monitor and is a pretty decent spec (can run photoshop smoothly :mrgreen: )

little one ends up with loads of cheap plastic toys too! :angryfire: usually i buy them second hand cos if there in the charity shop theyve usually taken a beating and survived!

i love chocolate - white chocolate in fact and most fairtrade/organic white chocolate has those bloody crispy pieces in it (G&B dont but meh it doesnt taste great) so i stick to the generic type and whittards white hot chocolate :mrgreen:
citizentwiglet wrote:
Oh, and I drink too much red wine, in green bottles, which have little recyclable value. Have swapped to a wine in a clear bottle, LOL.

And I smoke fags. Damn me.
turn them into amazing recycled wine glasses! and grow your own tobacco perhaps :lol:

Millymollymandy

Oh blimey, haven't read them all cos it's too depressing :iconbiggrin: . If cotton wool is a problem then my answer to the question is - LOADS! :lol: :lol: :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

JulieSherris

Yep, I'm a smoker so not green there, altho I do have baccy drying on the line in the hayshed, so I'm trying to be greener with that!

The only sport I watch on TV is Formula One - SO ungreen it's ridiculous!
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

We use disposable nappies!! I used washables with my son but when Madison arrived last december I had 2 in nappies full time and a third in them overnight, now thankfully Finley is out of them altogether but I still have both girls in full time nappies, I just couldn't keep up with the washing if I was using washables. Our washing machine is on 4 times aday as it is!!!! X

southeast-isher

I'm an inveterate vinyl record collector...

southeast-isher

JulieSherris wrote:The only sport I watch on TV is Formula One - SO ungreen it's ridiculous!
It's the only sport to watch on TV. :thumbright:

battybird

southeast-isher wrote:I'm an inveterate vinyl record collector...
doesn't that mean you are recycling them then rather than throwing them away...and I bet you buy less CDs as a result! Still feel VERY guilty about mine..everyone else is pretty minor!! :oops:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

southeast-isher

battybird wrote:
southeast-isher wrote:I'm an inveterate vinyl record collector...
doesn't that mean you are recycling them then rather than throwing them away...and I bet you buy less CDs as a result! Still feel VERY guilty about mine..everyone else is pretty minor!! :oops:
I guess i am recycling as i buy 90% secondhand but i buy the odd new release which creates a demand for vinyl pressing. I drive too and catch flights.

thesunflowergal

Mrs H wrote:We use disposable nappies!! I used washables with my son but when Madison arrived last december I had 2 in nappies full time and a third in them overnight, now thankfully Finley is out of them altogether but I still have both girls in full time nappies, I just couldn't keep up with the washing if I was using washables. Our washing machine is on 4 times aday as it is!!!! X
Snap!!!! Trixie is dry at home, and we are working on the rest of the time. Normally only do tweo loads of washing a day though :iconbiggrin:
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/