Cooking Books

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Cooking Books

Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:40 pm

In a past life when I wanted to be a chef i used to collect cook books so I have a great deal of them and they are all over the place. I mainly use 3 or 4 but do rotate them from time ot time. current faves are Gordon ramseys healthy eating, jamie olivers basic cook book that supported the TV series in Rotherham and the hairy bikers tour book. Apart from the JO one which I bought for my wife the others are presents. Ive also found my old goat of a mothers recipie books in the stuff i've been clearing out so i'm using mrs beaton cook book and a couple issued by BERO flour. My mother wouldn't show me how to cook and when asked how much of an ingredient she had used she would reply " oh it's all guess work ... go and play outside" .... now i have her cook books so I have the last laugh.... mind you they all use lard, beef dripping and shed loads of salt and sugar,lol.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Milims

Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:38 pm

herbalholly wrote:
Milims wrote: So I have recipes for Jellied Moose Nose, Roast Polar Bear, Breaded Beaver Tales and Squirrel Friccasse if anyone wants them! :lol:
Milims - I'd love to know the name of the book with jellied moose nose in it so I can have a look at it on amazon - -it sounds like a step up from my Scottish one!
I've had a look on Amazon and it doesn't appear to exixt there. It's simply called Northern Cookery.
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:57 pm

The OH who is German/ Dutch Nationality, also speaks English, French, and a little Spanish and who's passion in cooking, preserves, and wine making, and collecting recipes from the most obscur places, IE the magazines in the Doctors waiting room, so you can imagine how many books we have, in all 5 languages.

Came in one evening for tea to find 10 little dishe's of rice, fish, meat, and various other things, "I found a nice recipe its an Indonesian Rice Table" and I had been looking forward to Bacon sarnie, and cup of tea. I :dontknow: :dontknow:
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

pumpy

Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:33 pm

I have'nt done any book-cooking since i worked for the Treasury. :iconbiggrin:
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

Millymollymandy

Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:21 am

oldfella wrote:The OH who is German/ Dutch Nationality, also speaks English, French, and a little Spanish and who's passion in cooking, preserves, and wine making, and collecting recipes from the most obscur places, IE the magazines in the Doctors waiting room, so you can imagine how many books we have, in all 5 languages.
It's HER who does that then, I have to admit I do get a bit annoyed when I'm reading something in a waiting room then come to a bit that's been torn out, likewise if I go the recipe section first of a mag then find someone's nabbed it! :lol:

Mind you I wouldn't mind if I had an OH who would surprise me with a rijstafel (or however it is spelt)! :cheers:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:05 am

Sadly I went and counted mine after I posted just out of curiosity, when I put them all together (which I had been meaning to do for years literally ) I have 117 :oops: :study:
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:35 am

Does anyone here know Harold McGee's "On Food & Cooking - An Encyclopedia of Kitchen Science, History and Culture"? It's a great book! It explaines why bread rises, why dried beans' skins get tough when cooking (or not) etc. It has a lot of details which I partly skip, but there are real treasures of useful info and interesting knowledge on food culture and history.

For the rest I think I have about 25 cookbook(lets), many of which I mostly read for inspiration. I'm not a great cook by nature, so I need this to get ideas. Slowly I get better, I've noticed.

Jandra

crowsashes

Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:35 pm

im now curious as to what else people have on there book shelves! remember have in a picture thread of book shelves on another forum a while back and that was interesting.

ive found you can tell a lot about somebody by whats on there book shelf :mrgreen: :read2:

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:27 pm

pumpy wrote:I have'nt done any book-cooking since i worked for the Treasury. :iconbiggrin:

Well they must be well done by now seeing as how Chefs they had over the years :( :(
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

kiwirach
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:51 pm

ermmmm........ :shock: .....it runs into 3 figures i'd say!. not sure really as there are 2 piles in storage...one here in the UK, and one in NZ!!. on the shelf here in my temporary room i have about 15, with the most often referred to being the Edmonds Cookbook from NZ.....great for basics and a fantastic biscuit and cake section!. i also pull recipes from magazines (another obsession), and file those, and have about 5 of those files spread between here and storage locations!.
i shudder to think what the count would be once everything i own is under one roof!! :lol:

btw, my oldest is from the 1860's which i think is really cool.....found lots of pressed flowers in it, but no handwritten bits yet!.

kiwirach
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:53 pm

crowsashes wrote:im now curious as to what else people have on there book shelves! remember have in a picture thread of book shelves on another forum a while back and that was interesting.

ive found you can tell a lot about somebody by whats on there book shelf :mrgreen: :read2:
i remember an american homesteading forum had a thread about taking photos of your bookshelf.....i loved it.....seeing how many of the books i had, did any catch my eye, and just a general nosey behind closed doors!!.

citizentwiglet

Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:24 am

I have about 15, I think. Hardly use any of them, though. The one I use the most is my Dairy Book of Family Cookery which was my mum's when I was small (they were done by the Milk Marketing Board, and sold by the Milkman); I used to love looking through it; so my mum gave it to me when I left home - and it is very well-thumbed.

I also dabble with Jamie Oliver. I don't eat red farmed meat, so some of his most delicious looking recipes are lost on me, but I really like 'Jamie at Home' - his homemade beans on toast is to die for; and I like his (albeit very basic) tips on growing veg. I like the way he writes.

Margeurite Patten's Basic Basics Jams, Preserves and Chutneys is currently getting lots of looks, too.

The other half came home from work a while back with a Gary Rhodes book from a charity shop. £3.00. £3.00 too much, I said, as I think he is a bit of a pretentious bugger; but I used his Christmas Cake recipe this year and, my god, it was beautiful. So I take it all back, Gary.

Somehow, I have amassed five books on feeding babies. Thankfully, none of them Annabel Karmel. Most of them pretty useless though, as I did baby-led weaning. Thank god they were all given to me, not bought. They're off to a good home of another mum this week, anyway; so more room on my shelf for charity shop bargains!
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

Millymollymandy

Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:51 am

I went and counted them and it was over 60 :oops: as opposed to only 21 on gardening (not including books on self sufficiency!). :mrgreen:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

indy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:52 am

Margerite Patten, now she's a hell of a dame, I have lots of her books, they are by far my favourite! I use her books all the time especially the jams and preserves one that citizen twiglet was talking about and her guide to winemaking..fabulous :sunny:
Sing like nobody's listening, live like there's no tomorrow, dance like nobody's watching and love like you've never been hurt.

boboff

Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:06 pm

I have about 50 and only ever use one. Most, if not all of my normal cooking is done from practice and tasting. I can't however bake from brains. Sponges / Scones / Biscuits are all referenced in my Basic Baking Book.

We have my OH's Grans Hamlyn cook book, I love that, it's so 1970's in it we found the recipe for her Grans Christmas cake, complete with boyhood doodles from her Dad. Since she died I make the recipe for cakes to give as gifts for the family, it's more personal.

HFW's books are a great read, and contain allot of smallholder tips, so I wouldn't include his in the cook book section. I seem to have inherited about 20 Low Fat cookery books though, given the Christmas friend that now likes to sit on my lap, I suspect I need to start reading those!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/