Travellers...advice needed

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Travellers...advice needed

I'm going to China this year, as long as my application is accepted.

I'll be going for 9 months, so there'll be a fair bit of luggage!

Has anyone done this sort of thing before? Any advice as to airlines that give a large luggage allowance/things to expect?

I've been to China before, and that's why i'm so desperate to go back. I'm going to teach English. I'll have either my own apartment, or an apartment shared with one other person, allpaid for by the university.

I get paid for teaching, and it all seems very wonderful!! Its just the travel and 'stuff' details that i need a hand with. I'm a bookworm of the highest order, and i am a bit worried about running out of books (i suppose it'll force me to learn to read chinese...). I'm also classed as a giant by Chinese standards, so buying clothes is not going to be easy.

I'm going to enquire about sending a large box of trousers, books, knitting needles etc over before i get there.

Any advice appreciated please!!

Graye
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Travellers...advice needed

My son did a full year at an American high school and the baggage allowance was two bags BUT they could each weigh 72lbs! He managed to take two bikes with him as well as enough clothes to last without needing to buy (although of course he did!). I think the small baggage allowances are mainly for domestic or European flights. Best to check with the airline.

That sounds like a fun year. I've never been but it's on my list. I know a veggie friend had great problmes finding much to eat when she went, she said she was saved by the bags of peanuts she took with her.

As for books, I would have a look online and download a pile of e-books and take a laptop. Some of the books (on sites like project Gutenburg) are free - it depends on your tastes.
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

thesunflowergal

I just wanted to wish you luck on your travels.

My brother and his gf lived in Japan, for two years. My bro is 6ft and his gf is about 5ft 10, they could not buy clothes there either. I went into M&S a couple of times and bought his gf undies, bless her :lol:
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the luck! I've emailed the bloke running the programme today to tell him that i'm waiting for my passport to arrive to send off the application.

I work foan export company at the moment, so i'm hoping to be able to leave about 5 days before i actually go, and to send a box before i leave. Then i can fill it with clothes and books and stuff!

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

ebooks are the way to go if you don't have much space. You can read them on a laptop or handheld. Or, best of all, on a dedicated e-ink reader. I find the reading experience quite good, though it isn't a real book, of course. But much better than a laptop or handheld. Also you can read for about 10 hours before the battery runs out. I am really pleased to have one and I use it very often. Save the forests and all that, too.

Exciting... China... mmm... well, we're thinking of moving to Germany. Just accross the border but excitement enought for me, I guess.

Jandra

george
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Good for you. I'm sure you'll have a great time. I have done a year in Japan and am currently on a year in Korea teaching English. I totally understand what you mean about the buying clothes part. I had to bring enough trousers to last all the time although it is possible to buy t-shirts and I have small feet so shoes are ok too.

Are you going to a biggish city? If so, you might be able to buy English books there. I am in a tiny country town but about 1 hour away is a book shop with some English books. Also if there are any other foreigners around you might be able to swap books with them. In Japan we had a book club where we met once a month and swapped the books we had been reading. We have something similar here although it is less organised. Also for books maybe you can buy them on Amazon (check to see if they will ship to China).

I don't know about China but both here and in Japan buying craft supplies was easy. All the cheapie shops sell knitting needles and fancy paper and stuff for making things.

On both occassions I just travelled with the regular luggage allowance of about 20kg (you can usually get away with 23kg) without paying extra. Going back from Japan we posted all the stuff we had bought through the post office which was the cheapest. If you want extra weight allowance then the only way to do it is to fly via America then you will probably get double the weight allowance. It's not the most efficient way to get to China from England though!

There are also a few shipping companies who might work out cheaper if you are sending much stuff. One you could look at is called seven seas but I don't know if they send to China (they didn't do Japan).

But with the exception of clothes and books you should be able to buy anything else you need as long as you are in or near a reasonable sized city so try and travel as light as possible!

I'm sure you will have a great time. It is a fantastic experience.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the advice...keep it coming!!

I was thinking of getting myself one of those dedicated ebook readers. I've got a PDA but the books can be difficult to read on it.

I'm hoping to be in Beijing - i've made it very clear on the application that i want to go there.

Luckily, i've got small feet too, so shoes won't be a problem!! I've got Chinese feet - small and narrow, so their shoes fit better than most others!! Trousers will be an issue, i've got a 35" inside leg, so getting them here is hard enough..let alone a country where most people are a foot shorter than me... Thats why i plan to see if i can ship over a box of trousers and bits and pieces before i go. I've got some books that i want to send too - some cooking books, and knitting books mainly.

My knitting needles are heavy, so i think i'm going to treat myself to a set of bamboo ones. Might wait til i get there for those...they usually come from China in the first place. So i think i'll take one set of each size, and my interchangeable ones to start with.

Its all quite exciting. Keep your fingers crossed for me that i get in!!

bryony
Tom Good
Tom Good

how exciting! Good luck! I've taught in west africa and have a few nuggets of advice that I got from others, or that I wish I'd known before I left:

Only take dark underwear- white pants that are going to be worn and washed again and again just end up looking awful. Dark coloured pants and bras look cleaner and newer for longer. I found this out the hard way! ugh, grey pants! :oops:

Dark coloured clothes/patterned clothes in general are good if you plan on only wearing a few for a long time. No white trousers! (again, learnt the hard way!)

As for english books, I've found english/american bookshops in most cities I've visited. Hostels are also great places which usually have bookswap shelves, or at least travellers who are looking to swap books. It's great, you'll end up reading all sorts of things you wouldn't have chosen yourself. :study:

Cover the labels on all medication with clear sellotape so that the writing doesn't smudge or fade. Try and take more of any medication than you'll need, just incase it goes missing.

Photocopy all tickets/visas/passports, take a copy with you and leave one at home. Again, just in case...

You can give someone else access to your bank account (if you want to, I did incase my card got stolen or anything- it didn't though). I can't remember what this is called, but my parents signatures could be used to write cheques etc and they could act as my representative at the bank.

When I was studying abroad, and had to fly with lots of heavy books BA did the best deal on excess luggage if you booked the excess in advance. something like €30 for 30kg.

Read lots of travel guides in the library, photocopy the good bits, make some plans and get very excited!

Sorry if i've rambled and that hasn't answered your question. Good luck with it, i'll have my fingers crossed for you!

Bryony :flower:

Silver Ether

I hope you have a great time flower ...You could buy seconhand books from ebay while there and leave them in the english department when you leave ... mind you I would have trouble with that as when I have the book its mine all mind mhwaaaaah.... A question though to the guys who talk about lap tops on airplanes. My son just flew back to Glasgow from Cambridge and the screen was jiggered this is caused by the cabin pressure apparently but it doesn't seem to happen all the time ...why?
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Fee, have a great time. I had some friends who lived in Beijing for a while and was lucky enough to visit them there. There is a huge ex-pat community out there so make an effort to get involved. The ex-pats tend to be relatively well off so I would imagine there'll be lots of second hand clothes and books if you know where to look, especially from the people who are returning and don't want to bring their old stuff back with them.

The other thing about China is that it is really cheap to get clothes made up. Find a seamstress and get her to make you some trousers. I found loads of t-shirts and tops that fitted me when I was there so you should be ok there.

Have a great time
Zoe

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

My application's in, and the documents have been sent to Beijing!!

Excited now...

Edited to add: The Blog's the second on the list in my signature. There's not a lot about china yet...more about me wittering on to myself...

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've sent off the contract, and i'm waiting for the permit so that i can get a working visa.

Its all rather exciting!!

I've also found out that i can send a box of stuff over before i get there, so i plan to send one as i leave FedEx so that i can use the employee discount...

southeast-isher

I haven't been to China but was in Nepal. I can't really offer much specific advice except take as little luggage as possible!

I used very little of what i took and it all ended being a big chore having it with me. Most stuff you'd easily be able to get out there.

Hope you have fun there.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm officially going to start work in Chongqing on the 1st September.

I'm leaveing work on the 13th August, and i'm going to travel to York for a few days (i have to - they've threatened to come to Heathrow and steal my luggage if i don't...).
I've got some friends at work who will let me ship boxes using their accounts, so that's all good, i still get to use the employee discount!

I'm plannign ti shop out trousers and books for when i get there, i've downloaded loads of e-books and games and stuff to keep myself entertained.

Argh! Its exciting and terrifying at the same time!

Got my medical booked for next week, then i've got to go and get my visa...then book the flights...and that's it!

Millymollymandy

Ooh you must be really excited Fee! :cheers:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/