Maybe more for the ladies!!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
thesunflowergal
A selfsufficientish Regular

Maybe more for the ladies!!

One of my close friends just sent me this, as part of a message on FB!!

"you're becoming a proper little housewife with your chickens, veggies etc!"

Have I far too many hormones running riot in my body, or is that a little bit condescending? I know that we do not share the same interests, but I thought that was a bit cheeky.

Nikki
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

Milims

Re: Maybe more for the ladies!!

Ooohh - go a flap your gingham pinny at her and slap her with a daffodil! :lol: Perhaps the cheeky so and so would like to take a page out of your book and get off her behind and grow some veg - or would she be too worried that she might snap a nail?
Oh dear - perhaps I have too many of those dodgy middle aged hormones running riot here - but yes she is being condescending - in my book anyway!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

hedgewitch

She says it (or types it) like it's a problem. What's wrong with being a housewife?
Nothing.
My Blog
My Website

Plant Seeds and sing songs.

StripyPixieSocks

Hmmm hard to say with one line taken out of context but I don't see that as an insult or anything else.

Some people just don't know how to phrase something correctly or maybe she was complimenting you on your housewifely-ness because she sees you as a good one *shrugs*

Shirley

I have to say that I would take it as a compliment myself - perhaps her choice of phrase wasn't the best but reckon she means well. :mrgreen:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

ina

So are men who keep chickens and grow veg housewives, too? :?
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

So are men who keep chickens and grow veg housewives, too?
Certainly! Did you never notice??? :lol:

Edit: By the way, you could reply and say something like: "Oh, I label myself as progressive, self-supporting and caring for the environment, but if you think it is housewifely, that's fine too."

Graye

I think it's the "little" I would object to. It sounds condescending somehow...
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

Fizzy Izzy
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I'd probably take that as a compliment :) Although I agree that it's bit strange that she thinks growing veg is a particularly female pursuit...

I can really sympathise with the crazy hormones though :lol:
Smile :)

StripyPixieSocks

But she was talking to a female though... maybe if she were talking to a man she would have said something else.

I wouldn't say or do anything about it, what if you reply sarcastically and she's upset?

Rosendula

I don't think I would respond immediately, but I think I would probably spend far too much time and effort pointing out to her at every opportunity over the next 50 years all the stereotypical masculine things I do in the role of chicken keeping and growing veg. "Oo my shoulders are aching from moving the chicken run round", "Gotta go and clean the sh!t out of the chicken coop", "Don't 'alf build your muscles up, all that digging", "Excuse me eating with all this mud under my finger nails"... But then I do take things far more personally than I should, and as others have said, it probably wasn't meant the way us Hormonians take it.
Rosey xx

eccentric_emma

I am like Rosey and tend to take this a bit more personally than they are perhaps intended. She probably didn't even think before she wrote it! My reply would probably be something like 'better a housewife than working in a job i detest!' or something along those lines (although obviously more wittily crafted....). But basically a comment designed to show that you're happy in your choices (and probably happier than most!)
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

Millymollymandy

In a way I think it's pretty good if the image of a housewife is seen as someone who keeps chickens and grows veg! It's come around from the olden days when that's what a wife did (back in the days before women generally went out to work) to the 1960s image of the sparkling clean house and keeping your husband happy. I rebelled against that kind of housewife when I was a teenager and never wanted to be one. Now I'm very happy to be one (the chicken keeping veggie growing, not very clean house kind). :mrgreen:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

invisiblepiper

I'm with Graye - its not the housewife - its the 'little' - defo condescending - but she's probably envious.
Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks - are you happy? you always sound it in your postings.
Took me years to stop trying to be what other folk wanted - you be who you want. :cheers:
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

Rosendula

I too agree with Graye, that the 'little' is the offending word here. I struggled to phrase my last post on this thread because I've always hated the term 'housewife' and yet haven't been able to say why. Now MMM has hit the nail on the head (above). I grew up with the image of a housewife being someone who kept the house all sparkly, watched out of the window for hours for the husband to come home from work while the vegetables simmered to a slime on the hob, repeating the husband's beliefs like they are her own, voting for the party he does, being proud of him even when he's being a pillock. Oh wait, I've realised I'm describing my mother. :lol: Really, my mother was so proud to be a housewife, yet I could never see what she was proud of. So I guess that's why I have a problem with the term and try to avoid applying it to myself. I would hate for anyone to think I was like her. If I had grown up believing a housewife was someone who grew vegetables and wasn't afraid of dirt, I wouldn't have a problem with calling myself... :shaking: one of them :lol: :wink:
Rosey xx