I need to scream!!!

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: I need to scream!!!

That's why I like the French system! Once you sign on the dotted line and pay the deposit (which is very soon after the making and accepting of the offer) you are obliged to buy (with a few exceptions), sometimes even if you die your inheritors can be made to continue the purchase! :shock: (an exception being if you can't get a mortgage so generally if you die and your inheritors don't have the kind of money to buy the house, they wouldn't get a mortgage for it anyway so it is unlikely to be persued).
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

JulieSherris

Actually, I never thought of it that way...... that's how it's done here in Ireland too.
We talked to our solicitor about representing us in our house buying & the first thing she asked was 'did we shake on the deal'... and 'had we paid the deposit'.... We soon found out that our 10% was due NOW... while we were sorting out the mortgage.

Had we known the way it all worked over here, it wouldn't have made any difference to us, but it would be a damn good idea for the UK to adopt - that would put a halt to the gazumpers over there and would make people think twice when they enter into property buying, stopping the stress & heartache their thoughtless actions cause.

Just my 2 pennies worth.....
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Graye

I think it's a fairly common scheme except in England, Wales & NI. Much more sensible.

When we sold out first Spanish house we were plagued by British people on holiday wanting to live the dream despite it usually being totally unrealistic for them. I think the agent (also British) became disenchanted with them (we had eight or nine viewings a week) and insisted on an initial holding deposit from one couple he was sure were not going to be able to find work, a mortgage etc. or even the official 10% deposit. They paid up €5000 by credit card and, despite us saying not to pursue it when the inevitable happened once they returned to reality, the agent kept the deposit as HIS expenses, sending us a cheque for half. I don't suppose they will ever do that again!

Not much help to you I know, Elizabeth! I hope something good comes from the let-down and you can move to your new home soon.
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

Ovalina
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Oh poor thing you must feel so frustrated and mad. Is it too soon to think about your next step? Have you contacted the farm lady to see if she'll hold it for you?

Elizabeth
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

She did hold the house for a while and consulted us before putting it back on the market. We thought it only fair that she did as it may be months before we get another buyer!

This is our lovely cottage - any buyers? We're only selling 'cause it has no garden! It worked really well for us, while we were living away where we were working :(

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... index%3D10
Elizabeth

Remember! Turn off, when not in use

http://www.gardenersclick.com/

JulieSherris

Ooohhh... Elizabeth, can I have that fireplace??

It's a lovely little cottage, but as you say, no garden... do you have neighbours as well??
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Millymollymandy

It's gorgeous Elizabeth. I hope you find someone soon - and that sort of price in Devon sounds very reasonable. Even we could afford that in England - BUT - no garden, sorry!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Elizabeth
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We have neighbours - there are 6 houses in the hamlet.

Our house is the end of a row of three. The middle house is the old Chapel, ours is the school room and stables and the other end was the vergers cottage (they've had an extension).

We queried the bill from the solicitors and we've had a letter today from the solicitors trying to justify the amounts! :argue:

I guess I now need to put it out of mind - I like the idea of a deposit but as you say in todays market??? We've been on the market for nearly 18 months now.................. :pale:

The neighbours are great and very understanding - next door has offered me as many of his garden pots as I'd like, his wife is a bit too old (unfit!) to be bothered with flower pots anymore, I'm going to have a look this afternoon. :sunny:
Elizabeth

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

What a beautiful cottage!

Have you/your agent thought about advertising it in the London Evening Standard? It seems an awful thing to say, but it would make a fab holiday cottage or second home.

However you do it, I hope you sell soon,

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Elizabeth
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

They are suppose to be marketing it also as holiday home. I might chack out how much it would cost to advertise that way. Thanks!
Elizabeth