a few wierd animals...

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

a few wierd animals...

firstly, Claude. He began as a bit of a joke, I said I only make desturbing animals. my little brother said "surely not, make a mouse"... I only had pink wool, and therefore a little bald mouse happened. he looked a bit naked, so I added the ear. I actually sold a few of these on ebay and through others ties back in 1994; one to a bloke in massechusets who was studying genetics.

the only non-desturibing animal I've ever managed to make is the bunny below.

Sophie sometimes cuddles the squid... the picture was made for an email update on my pregnancy with soph so it's a little out of date!! she got attached to an unfeasibly expensive teddy bought for her by my mum's mates. she wont sleep without him :roll:

oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I love the squid!! and the Ear Mouse!!! He's brilliant!!

Are you a member of Craftster? They'd like them there too.

Even though some might say they're disturbing, i think they're ace!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

They are brilliant. I love the mouse, in fact, I love all of them.

Zoe

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you, by any chance, have any patterns mrs Flib? I'd be incredibly grateful if you'd share them...i want a squid to hang from my wardrobe now!!

mrsflibble

I unfortunately don't have patterns 'cos I tend to make things up as I go along... the bunny is based on this though
knit a rectangle, cast off. put running stich about where I've shown it and gather, then knot. sew along the edges which were withing the circles and it should begin to take form... then just sew and stuff once you can see what it is- if you get what I mean. I'm trying to find the original pattern I used for that. I like pieces where i just need to fold a few bits rather than knitting lots of parts.

I can send a simple line drawing of the pieces for a squid, it wont be to scale but would you be able to work from that?
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

oooh, that would be great!!

I'm no good at making things off the top of my head, i have to have a basis.

mrsflibble

ok, following diagram below.....
cut out all pieces.
place pieces of tail fin right side together.
sew, leaving a gap to fold back out the right way.
finish stitching the edge and fold down middle.
hem curved bit of body, keeping the curve as well as you can. if using fleece this isnt necessary.
fold right side togetehr and sew body along outer dashed lines,from the curved bottom, stopping halfway up.
place folded tail fin in this gap with folded bit of material against the to-be-sewn edge of the body.
sew the rest of the body, making sure to stitch the tail fin in as well- don't use thick fabric, i recommend some kind of fleece to be honest.
turn right side out again.
sew dashed lines of head, it will look like a fat cone when done.
fit eyes where they look like they are on either sie of the head, making sure to keep the seam at the bottom.
sew on dangly bits for tentacles. if using fleece, make sure you cut against the grain so that you can strecth them out and make them curl. stitch them along the head until they all meet on the point of the cone- if you can, try and stitch one over the seam.
wrap in a hair band if they're long- believe me it'll help with the next bit.
now comes the hardest bit- you need to fit the head cone just inside the curved bit of the body cone making sure that the eyes are at about in line iwth the tail fin. I used funfur for my body, not so easy for fitting the tail fin but doesn't show up crappy stitching where i fitted the head.
leave a gap for stuffing.
stuff until really full.
sew up gap.
name your squid.

QuakerBear

Dig the mouse. See science and knitting can come together.....
QuakerBear