Any one spin or weave?

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
possum
A selfsufficientish Regular

Any one spin or weave?

I got given an electric spinning wheel and a large loom

I have a couple of fleeces from our sheep sat inboxes

I haven't got a clue where to start, I don't even know how to set the loom up (it is assembled but that is all)
Can anyone help?
Havign read another thread I was wondering if it would be possible to use it for making rag rugs?

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow, the loom looks great!

I spin, mainly cotton on a double drive band conventional wheel. I got a bit of training in useing the loom and it seems to me that warping up is the most complicated bit, the rest is easy. As far as spinning goes, you really need someone to go through and show you. Ashford stuff comes from NZ, maybe they could give you an idea of someone in you area who could teach you.......

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

red

wow - jealous! cant help you though - as i also have fleeces lurking in the shed waiting for me to learn
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Silver Ether

Well I cant do either but have always wanted to but ... well ... maybe when I retire .. :lol: :lol: thnks to the powers that be ... that will never happen but If anyone who does spin and has some wool they want to get rid of ... I would like to buy some as I would like to have a go knitting with real stuff that I know had been straight from sheep etc,... :flower:

That looks a wonderful device that you have been given.

flower
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

well, good news bad news I guess :lol:

you have there a wonderful loom. It would be wasted on ragrugs but you will be able to make some beautiful, highly patterned fine weave rugs and wall hangings.
(that was the good news!)

the bad news is, you will really need to enrol in a class to learn how to thread it up!
Sorry, I didn't note where you were posting from, but in if in England the weavers guild should be able to put you in touch with someone who can teach you both spinning and weaving. They will also have information on home made vegetable dyes etc.

Please don't be disheartened....once you learn the threading you will be spellbound! There is nothing quite like watching a beautiful piece of weave grow :mrgreen:

possum

flower wrote:well, good news bad news I guess :lol:

you have there a wonderful loom. It would be wasted on ragrugs
Maybe, but if it helped me get started, I don't care, I just want to be able to use it, at the moment it is a rather large shed ornament and nothing more

Was UK, but now in New Zealand