Knitting!

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Knitting!

I finally managed it...with the help of Stitch & bitch, i finally managed to knit something!! I knitted an 8" by 3" something. It was supposed to be the start of a scarf, but i dropped a few stitches, so its a something...

So, yes. I can now click some needles together. No technicat talk yet please though...i can just about grasp garter stitch.
And my mum laughs because she says i look awkward, and she wants to slap my hands for taking them off the needs to wind the wool through...

One day i want to make the skully jumper and alien scarf from Stitch and bitch, one day i will make them...

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Onya mate! Well done.

I just do the spinning, can't knit!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Good on you, Fee
I didn't start knitting until about 10 years ago. Now I can just about manage a scarf. I did knit a whole load of squares and sewed them together to make a blanket. It looked awful so the cats had it as a bed until it all unravelled and I threw it away.

I still haven't yet mastered the pattern thing - that's like a foreign language to me.

Well done - practice really does help.

Zoe

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Might have to give knitting a go to include in the book. How long has it taken to be able to knit a something? I have roughly 6 months to learn.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

It took me about 6 months to knit a scarf on and off, shouldn't take that long if you are doing it full time though!

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

pskipper wrote:It took me about 6 months to knit a scarf on and off, shouldn't take that long if you are doing it full time though!
Well I still have to write other bits of the book too :mrgreen: I am not sure what my editor would say if I told her I was knitting for 6 months :wink:
and...... Twitter

Shirley

The neeps! are making a blanket out of squares for purpledragon's sister. Great fun and a great way to learn how to do it properly.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shirlz wrote:The neeps! are making a blanket out of squares for purpledragon's sister. Great fun and a great way to learn how to do it properly.
What a gret idea, mind if I use it in the book?
and...... Twitter

Shirley

Only if I check with PD first, and it was Ina's idea to do the blanket!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

red

Andy Hamilton wrote:Might have to give knitting a go to include in the book. How long has it taken to be able to knit a something? I have roughly 6 months to learn.
actually I don't think its that hard - I taught myself to knit, some years ago now, using a beginners book. its matter of learning the language if you want to follow patterns. I really enjoy knitting, but prefer to stick to small projects such as gloves and scarves. - and you cn often make these out of cheap odments etc, or even unravelled old jumpers.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Hi
I can remember my mother buying hand knitted stuff at jumble sales which she would then unpick to re-use the wool. You have to stretch it back out before you can use it again. She used to take a wire coat hanger and form it into a square. Then she would wrap the wool tightly around it and wash it. When it dried it was nice and straight again and guess who had to sit and wind it into balls.

Zoe

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zoe: That's a fab idea. I knew about unpicking stuff, but the coathanger is excellent!

Its taken me 3 nights to knit about 4"..but i changed colour last night!! I have a stripe on my scarf!!

not that the scarf fits yet, i've got a long way to go. I'm using up all the old bits of wool i can find.

I like the idea of a patchwork blanket made of squares. When i can knit pictures, i'll give it a go.

Was it Luath that made a pattern for the Ssish flower? Stitch and Bitch has a great pattern for a bag that i think it would look fab on for BGG.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have been knitting and crocheting for years and I have to say crocheting is easier for big pices like blankets you start by making a loop then you just keep going round and round in circles. you can stop when you like, you can easily tie on any other colours and it is quicker and easier than kniting. Once you learn the basic stitch you don't even need to watch what you are doing, you can watch the TV instead.

anyway I found these links with easy to follow pictures, although there are hundred online.

http://www.learntoknit.com/instructions_kn.php3

or try this for crochet

http://www.learntoknit.com/instructions_cr.php3

or try this for crocheting a never ending square

http://www.patchworkcrochet.com/basicsb.htm

knitting is quite complecated if you are trying to follow a patern but practice makes perfect.

happy kniting and crocheting.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Ann.

I'm going to wait til i've got Stitch and bitch's Happy hooker to learn to crochet. i tried looking at one of my mum's 'Learn to crochet' books, and failed miserably!!

My great aunt used to be really good at crocheting, but she tried to teach my mum once and didn't get very far!!

funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Well done Fee! Doesn't it feel good?

I've been teaching myself to knit since Christmas & I'm feeling very proud of myself so far. I started with scarves - one for each of the boys and one for me, then I did 2 hats. the first hat was supposed to be for me but I knitted it on the wrong sized needles and I now need to find a baby to give it to. The second one my youngest DS has claimed as his own. I've also done a jumper on giant needles for me.

My current project is a bag in variegated greens and browns that I'm going to felt when it's knitted. It's knitted on circular needles and I'm so addicted I can't put it down! It came to work with me yesterday as I was on a 2hr seminar in Dullsville and I sat in the doctor's surgery with it this afternoon!

I found a skull pattern I was to knit up too :wink:

Also, have you come across this site?
http://www.theanticraft.com/index.htm

It's got the absolute best patterns
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Just when you think you're in it up to your neck & it can't get any worse, something craps on your head.