Anyone made their own shed?

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
strawberry321
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Anyone made their own shed?

Hi everyone, I've just joined and am looking for some shed inspiration. I hope I've posted in the right place! I'm looking to make my own shed from wood I've already got. Has anyone done this? I'd love to see some photos if so!

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Anyone made their own shed?

I might not be selfsufficient in food but I do manage to be with sheds. I've built several in my time and have a few at the place I live now. You could do a lot worse than look at the Swedish hermits hut thread on the green building section but for what it's worth here's some of mine.

This is a very simple shed and is literally two fence panel placed two slabs distance from an exsisting fence and then roofed over. We use it to keep bikes and mowers that sort of thing. It butts up against a commercial shed that was sourced on freecycle.
Next is a purpose built shed or playhouse that was put up for my daughter. I purposely made the door small to deter my wife from "tempoary" storing things in there , he he
The last two are a bit rougher looking and definately inhabit that part of the garden that isn't trying to win any awards. The first is just for storage and is made of a 3x2 frame with loovered sides made from pallets. It gives great airflow and is full of wood
sorry about the junk lying around and against it but it can't be seen easily so doesn't bother anyone. The last is my workshop and is constructed with freecycle concrete blocks up to about 3 1/2 feet and then reclaimed timber work above. The wall and roof covering I did buy and it is a corrugated board called coroline .
Let us know what you are planning .

Pete

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I love a shed, yours are great Skippy. You might be interested to see one the wizard started building, it is the bones of the building which may be of interest, then you can clad in the material of your choice, we used tongued and grooved boards (like you get on a barn) and tiled the roof as we had tiles left from the house project, as it is for our boiler, we will put in a waterproof membrane, insulation and waterproof ply, the dog can have it to sleep in as well it will be very warm and dry
side showing door opening
side showing door opening
003 (2).JPG (38.75 KiB) Viewed 8583 times
Attachments
back of shed
back of shed
001 (2).JPG (45.47 KiB) Viewed 8583 times

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Digger , please tell me that you were leaning when you took the picture because on my screen it looks as if the shed is 3 or 4 inches out of plumb in your first shot.
Actually such a lean reminds me of a door and frame I put in an old timber framed cottage several years ago. The frame needed to be plumb but the building having been around for about four hundred years wasn't and as a result the finished result looked odd as there was a cover piece to the side of the frame that was nothing at the bottom and close to five inches at the top, the building having spread that much. To have put the frame in line with the building would have resulted in a door that would take quite a push to open and would slam shut at a pace of knots. As we looked at it and wondered if there was anything that could be done an electrian working there said "put up a hanging basket with a great long chain on it". Thatof course would hang vertical and be in line with the door but in the end the client was happy and just refered to it as character.

Pete

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Skippy wrote:Digger , please tell me that you were leaning when you took the picture because on my screen it looks as if the shed is 3 or 4 inches out of plumb in your first shot.
Hilarious, every picture I take looks pissed, our house is on the piss, we live on a hill on the piss, the shed is level but the house is another matter, anyway, the wizard is a precision engineer and takes measurements very seriously, I think the tolerances on this project were about plus or minus 5 thou, I have to draw your attention to the boards butting up to the stone wall that are all precision cut to fit snugly, it looks as if the shed has just slid out of the wall, I will have to get a pair of boots with an elevated heel so as I can take pictures that look a bit straighter :lol:
Attachments
shed (5).JPG
shed (5).JPG (39.98 KiB) Viewed 9402 times
shed (3).JPG
shed (3).JPG (40.26 KiB) Viewed 9402 times
shed (1).JPG
shed (1).JPG (45.04 KiB) Viewed 8566 times

Carltonian Man
A selfsufficientish Regular

We built this 7'6"x 9'6" shed on our lottie last year from a mixture of gleaned materials (skips, freecycle etc.). The large eaves offer great protection from the weather.
Attachments
L (60).JPG
L (60).JPG (60.9 KiB) Viewed 8562 times
L (61).JPG
L (61).JPG (51.38 KiB) Viewed 8562 times
L (62).JPG
L (62).JPG (54.6 KiB) Viewed 8562 times
L (63).JPG
L (63).JPG (51.1 KiB) Viewed 8562 times
L (71).JPG
L (71).JPG (51.19 KiB) Viewed 8562 times

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've got no photos but I've built a couple of sheds from scratch in various gardens. It's fairly easy, I don't even bother with exact dimensions, just rough ones. Then bung the thing up. For sides I've used B&Q basics (or whatever their cheapest crap is called) tongue and groove cladding. Painted with preservative and kept painted it lasts for ages.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

moocher
Tom Good
Tom Good

I made one years ago out of building site scavenged timber,chipboard from a stannah stairlift case found ina layby and several fence panels similar to carltonian mans but no windows.
Doors were 2 weldmesh ones from an old triple dog run.
Roof was free cycled from an old piggery and was those grey corrugated roofing sheets.
It was nearly 12ft sq.
It had my tools,hunting equipment and even my German shepherd x Lurcher as security :lol:
I hasten to add it was only shut at night time.

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Digger a very nice job of scribing that your wizard has done with those boards. I've done plenty of such like jobs in my time and it is always pleasing to see it done properly and not just "good enough" and finished with mastic or filler.I've also at times had to scibe a vertical post against a wall such as yours, but it's a bit galling when the perfect job shows a gap all down it a week later when the wood shrinks.
I take it that the job wasn't quite finished in the last photos as I can't see any flashing. By the way do you use lead for the flashing over there as I understand it's not allowed in some places (France for example).
Carltonian man , that's a nice shed and sooooo tidy makes mine look like a right pigsty. Can I ask where the yellow pipes from the butts run to please?
Forgot to say that the floor in mine is built from old paving bricks on concrete onto which I am gluing offcuts of timber end upwards, a traditional joiners shop floor. It's warmer and definately kinder to tools that may get dropped.

Pete

Carltonian Man

Skippy wrote:Carltonian man , that's a nice shed and sooooo tidy makes mine look like a right pigsty. Can I ask where the yellow pipes from the butts run to please?
The yellow pipe balances the water level between the two butts so I can fill a watering can from the front one only, (otherwise it's a bit unprivate for the folks living at the back).