Bike shed & Beer crates from Pallets

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
alun
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Bike shed & Beer crates from Pallets

An update! I got the sides done today, and have the frame in place.
The next step is to put a roof on it, which I can do next week, and it should be waterproof then!

Here is one of the side panels

This the frame in place

Doors and bike fit underneath!

I've got it covered with some tarpaulin for the time being, but I've got some pallet planks which I am going to create the roof with. Should have it covered this week, and then I'll fit the doors next week! Finally, I'll get around to putting earth on the top for my herb garden!

wulf
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

I constructed something similar:

Edible Roof Garden by basswulf, on Flickr

Two notes worth considering from my attempt:

1. The small "roof garden" box hasn't proved to be a huge success; I think the soil was a bit shallow (c. 5") and maybe needed a more effective water retaining mulch.

2. I used left over polythene from my polytunnel to form the cover; I've had to make a few modifications to hold it in place as, when just draped over the top, it bangs around in the wind.

Wulf

ps. ... and it looks like you are a more accomplished woodworker than I am!
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

alun
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Nice work Wulf!
My woodworking is a combination of a helpful father and too much reading!

Thanks for the notes:
1) My roof is sloped as much as yours, and probably just as deep, but I have used a waterproof lining to create a little pool of water at the bottom of the slope. This should feed moisture to the earth, I'll be sure to post results up on it.

2) My shed was looking like yours for two days, using some tarpaulin to keep the water out whilst I waited for an opportunity to get the roof finished. It made a lot of noise with heavy rain falling on it, and also blew everywhere - where I live is very windy so it's not good! Fortunately, I got the roof finished today, so I don't have to use the tarpaulin anymore. One more sunny day when I'm not in work and I'll have the doors on and everything finished!

Here's the work done today:

The roof is 3 small pallets fixed together.

I created a drip edge underneath with a quarter round floor edge so when the waterproof membrane is fixed around, it will allow the water to drip off at this edge.

I also got the waterproofing on, but it was dark when I finished, so didn't get any photos! I'll probably post those photos up when I finish the doors.

alun
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I thought I would complete the circle and post up my finished bike shed here - I finished it last summer but I've been so busy with my other projects (see website) that I hadn't got around to posting up the photos.

Here it is in all it's glory.

I abandoned the green roof idea because of the difficulties of getting a decent waterproofing layer sorted, so for the moment, it's roofing felt. Perhaps I might improve on this when I've got more time and materials to spare. The doors are great, and the shed has a very solid feel to it.
I can fit three bikes in it, at a push. Not bad for about £10 of materials! (hinges, screws and a padlock)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

That looks brilliant, very robust.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin