satin dress puckered seams

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

satin dress puckered seams

Hi everyone can any of you more expert and experienced sewers offer me some advice? I'm making my bridesmaid's dress for my sister's wedding. However all the seams are puckered. how do I get rid of this? i've tried reducing the tension and it helps but doesn't eliminate the problem.

Will I have to unpick and re-sew all the seams..?:( :?

I don't have flickr or anythign like that so I'm not sure how to get a picture up here.....

Thanks in advance, Cassie

Susie
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: satin dress puckered seams

I have this problem with satiny fabrics sometimes, especially if they're lightweight. Are you ironing really thoroughly (through a cloth if it's polyester satin) when you've done the seam? Because that helps. Otherwise you could try: thinner needle? Different stitch length? Play with tension again? In extremis you could perhaps interface the seam but I've never done that, it might make it hang funny.

Also I googled and I saw somewhere you could try using a (very slight) zigzag stitch?
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

julie_lanteri
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi Cassie, if the seams are really puckered after nomal pressing, then pressing again harder would probably make things worse (set the puckers).
if it's really bad you might want to redo it: there will be photographic evidence of the day!
make sure you're using a brand new sharp needle (the smallest you can find if it's lightweight satin), small stitch length (shorter stitches than normal) and be really carful not to pull/stretch the fabric as you're sewing. Press each seam as you go along.
Good luck!

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi thank you both. I went with Ironing to stuffing out of the seams, first closed, as you sew them, on both sides and then ironing them open. It seems to have greatly improved the situation :) still not perfect but good enough for me :) next time I know to use finer thread and needle but didn't want to resew it all becauseI have to set off next weekend for the wedding....Will get a icture onto OHs flickr account and post :)

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

Before ironing
Before ironing
2011_10_02 dress in progress before small.jpg (50.99 KiB) Viewed 6970 times
and then
After ironing
After ironing
2011_10_02 dress in progress after small.jpg (43.59 KiB) Viewed 6970 times
Still not great around the waistline but the best I'm going to get to I think.

I've now put the boning and the lining into the dress. Just need to fix the shoulder stuff into place and then hem it :)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

When I did needlework O level - many moons ago - we were taught that when sewing slippery fabrics, like satin, or very fine fabrics like organza, professional seamstresses use tissue paper between to provide a little body and stability to the seam. It rips straight out afterwards leaving no trace.

Sorry it's a bit late!

Looks fab by the way and I think the very slight puckering looks like a deliberate detail in the shaping.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Me? I know zilch about making dresses (I realise how surprising that may be). And it looks OK to me.

But I demand photographic evidence that the whole thing stays up as intended. Actually, I suppose I'm really demanding evidence that it didn't :iconbiggrin:

It looks fantastic - you girls worry far too much!!!!!!!!!

(Still want the photos, though).

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

julie_lanteri
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

MKG wrote:Me? I know zilch about making dresses (I realise how surprising that may be)
Mike, I was expecting you to give advice on which presser foot and which size needle to use! :lol:

The dress looks much better pressed. If when you try it on (finished) the waist puckers still bother you, you still have the option to add a sash/belt.

bonniethomas06

Looks fine to me, a brilliant effort Cassiepod. I am sure when you are wearing it, your body will make the fabric taughter (if that is a word?) anyway so any residual puckering won't be as obvious.

Well done - you are brave to even attempt it, especially with such fussy fabric.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thankyou! Final pics will follow after my sister's big day a week on Saturday. I know have to get my mum and I, the flowers and foliage for the flower arrangements, and both our dresses down to london.... oh and an extra suitacase for my work trip to houston for which I depart the day after the wedding :shock:

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

needle size 70/14 or 80/15, make sure it's a new needle for each project and use tissue paper OR a light, tear-away stabiliser like that used for machine embroidery.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

oh and lowering the feed dogs can sometimes help, although on my machine it just makes it complain and pucker more. and using a teflon foot helps too.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!