Rabbit Fur

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
dragonoak
Tom Good
Tom Good

Rabbit Fur

Howdy guys! Long time no speak. I apologise to you all- the council decided that it was time to fit gas to our estate and renovate the hoses to the 21st centurary..... so basically we're living on a bombsite for 2 months :shaking:

Any ways- between taking the time to clear the garden for new fachias for the hose, clearing the kitchen for a new suit and boiler, and the whole hose for the gas plumbing to be installed.... I've managed to try my hand at tanning rabbit hides using the "brain tanning" method used for deer hides.

The brown dutch pelt (the tiny one!) was my first attempt- so don't be too critical! I've finished the process with some product, so i don't feel too wastefull :icon_smile: The Rex pelt (the proper looking one) :wink: is the one i finished last week, and is much better by far!! I need to get some saddlesoap for them both to soften them up a tad more so that I can make the OH his little treat. He want a real rabbit fur patch-work rug in the living room....so i really know Iv'e got my work cut out... but he's worth it :oops:

*Warning* I don't know how to re-size these images, so they will all be there standared size......sorry -Ishers!
Attachments
The dutch- 1st attempt
The dutch- 1st attempt
bunny2.jpg (57.1 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
The Rex- 2nd attempt
The Rex- 2nd attempt
bunny1.jpg (114.96 KiB) Viewed 2884 times

Ellendra
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Rabbit Fur

Nice!

theabsinthefairy

I am saving my skins to make glove and boot liners for the winter. I have 5 so far and another 5 rabbits due for a cull the first free weekend coming up. Had not considered a patch rug - but feel perhaps that the cats may decide that it is their divine right to sleep on it constantly.

Well done on your tanning.

I skin the rabbit and leave the skin in a saline solution until I am ready to clean it up, then I use a battery acid (a dilute hydrocholic acid available to buy in the supermarkets in France) leave the skins in there for 3 days then they clean up really easily, then submerge the skins for another 7 days, stirring every day and making sure they are completely covered - I usually weight them down with a stone. Once tanned, leave to dry and then apply a saddle soap or a natural nut oil to soften the skins.
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

My husband is very interested in rabbit skins tanning. And as we will be heading to France hopefully in 2012, I will make a note of the hydrochloric acid to do the job. :icon_smile:
Very nice job dragonoak! :thumbright:

ajs88
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

You are going to end up with some really good quality gloves and boots, I can't wait to see them