Christmas hampers

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
Gem
Living the good life
Living the good life

Christmas hampers

First proper post so hope I'm doing this right!

Being of low means and frankly hating the idea of getting close family and friends generic xmas gifts I have been making hampers for the last few years which have (so far) been a resounding success.

Unfortunately I am running out of ideas for new things to add to the collection so I'm looking for things to make between now and Dec-ish.

So far I have included - (All home made and home grown where possible) Teddy bears, jewelry, scarfs (about all my knitting skills are presently up to) key fobs, various jams and chutneys, pesto, sloe gin and vodka (well worth a try!), any produce thats still around by that point, home made cards, seeds and any pickles I have spare that year..

Now I am well on the way to stocking up on the usual suspects (jams, sloe vodka (requested over the gin!)and what not) but I do like to stick something new in every year..

Any suggestions?

Gem

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Christmas hampers

What lovely gifts, can I ask one question? Do you actually give them in a hamper (like a wicker one) and then do you ask for it back to reuse the next Xmas? (not actually a joke question!). If not what do you put your goodies in?

Anyway...... how about some home made cookies or sweets - fudge, toffee, coconut ice etc?
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Gem
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hello, yes I use wicker hampers (I have a stack of old ones that have been cluttering the house for years which I clean and use..) I do ask for them back but most people want to keep then as useful little storage boxes :roll: I am working on making reed baskets but still struggling with the bases so will keep working on them..

Do you know of any recipes for things that store fairly well? I did make cookies one year but people commented that they got lost in the piles of pre-bought christmas food and went stale within a few weeks.. Also tend to get a bit frantically busy the few weeks before christmas so prefer to get it all done and dusted by around the 15th..

Thanks for the response :thumbleft:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

When mightily broke one year we made handmade chocolates for everyone. The truffles and nutty ones kept really well, but the turkish delight was a bit of a let down.

The good thing is you don't need many for a really impressive looking pressy and handmade chocs cost a bomb to buy. :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

red

liqueurs are always a winner - when you get people who turn their nose up at home made goodies.. they still love the liqueurs.

strawberry liqueur is a bit time hit for my family. i also make sloe vodka rather than gin. i made a blackberry liqueur too - wonder where i put that recipe.... must write that one up.

biscuits.. if you want them to keep and not go stale, you need to pack them in an air tight container - old coffee jars are good for this - specially the dowe egberts ones.. find someone who drinks that coffee (freecycle?)

you could experiment with cake mixes etc - in a jar - just add an egg and milk or summat

ever popular as gifts are mulled wine sachets. get some muslin, and bit the spice mix in.. i go for cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange peel etc - and tie into little bundles.. a tag with instructions on how to use this with a bottle of wine or cider to make mulled drinks etc

similarly you can make bouquet garnis - herbs in the muslin bundle, a bayleaf tied to the top, pack into a jar to be used by cooks in their stews and casseroles etc.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Gem
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ahhh! Some lovely ideas already!

I think some more booze in the baskets will be much appreciated and I will definately look out for the chestnuts this year. I tried roasting some last year but was making chutney at the same time so forgot about them and they burnt them to an upalatable chrisp! (Homer style Doh!).

Millymollymandy

Flavoured oils and vinegars - just noticed the booze content of the hamper which is expensive! so olive oil isn't going to break the bank then. :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Islay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Brilliant ideas here! I'm just trying to put together a foodie hamper for a wedding gift for some lovely friends who don't have a wedding list, and I am loving these ideas.

Also good for restocking the christmas ideas list - much as everyone loves my truffles, I think they might appreciate a change... :oops:
http://www.islaybower.typepad.com
Finding, making and baking

Milims

What about soaps, bath bombs or bath salts?

Oh and please may I be your best friend on your christmas prezzy list?? :lol:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Islay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Glad to be of service! :flower:
http://www.islaybower.typepad.com
Finding, making and baking

Masco&Bongo
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.930141
longitude: -2.969870

Milims wrote:What about soaps, bath bombs or bath salts?
Was just about to post this!!!

I made a selection of soaps, bath bombs, salts and basic salves last year... did some 'christmassy' ones - cinnamon, ginger etc, and some 'gardeners soap' - rosemary, tea tress, with scrubby bits in...

Went down a storm! Easy to make in advance, and all of the ingredients can be bought online in small quantities. Lots of websites also have recipes etc available for no cost too...
"Its not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" - Bruce Wayne

Blog: http://mistressofmeals.blogspot.com/

becks77

Millymollymandy wrote:What lovely gifts, can I ask one question? Do you actually give them in a hamper (like a wicker one) and then do you ask for it back to reuse the next Xmas? (not actually a joke question!). If not what do you put your goodies in?

Anyway...... how about some home made cookies or sweets - fudge, toffee, coconut ice etc?
For the containers what about using bags they sell in aid of charities last year we bought the support cancer bags anfd filled them with homemade goodies, money to a very worthy cause and the bag is reused for the next shopping trip and also part of the gift! :flower:
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

thesunflowergal

becks77 wrote:
For the containers what about using bags they sell in aid of charities last year we bought the support cancer bags anfd filled them with homemade goodies, money to a very worthy cause and the bag is reused for the next shopping trip and also part of the gift! :flower:
What a great idea!! We make hampers too, and I always find trying to find baskets a real chore!!

I am afaid that I have no new ideas as to the contains though. I do ask for the jars back :lol:
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Do you work or know anyone who works in an office? If so, get hold of the boxes that the photocopier paper comes in. Wrap them in handmade paper to make your hampers.

How about collecting pine cones for people with open fires? Add little bits of bark, dried with a few herb leaves such as bay and rosemary.

Has home-made pot pourri been mentioned? Geranium leaves, bourgainvillia flowers and rose petals all dry well and look pretty, mix with your pine cones.

What about cakes instead of biscuits? Fruit cakes keep for ages, if you give the hamper in advance then they have their Christmas cake.

I think your idea is lovely.

Zoe

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

What alot of great ideas a few I have made a note of and a few I already do.I put cubes of feta cheese(quite cheap in a big block)in sterilised jars with garlic cloves and herbs from the patch and fill with olive oil, stick a fabric pot cover and a ribbon and add those to a hamper goes really well with homemade red wine and keeps for ages in the oil.
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!