home made screen

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
old tree man
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

home made screen

I made this screen this week to keep out the pesky flies and midgies, that the weather has brought Image
and it works, best of all it cost nothing,
:flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

red

Re: home made screen

nice one :cheers:
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

witchstorm
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Brilliant, we need something like that the flies are driving me crazy.

Rosendula

Good one Russ. :thumbright:

How's it fitted? Is it on hinges, or does it kind of slot in, and if so, how do you get in and out? Sorry for all the questions, but my OH knocked up something along the same lines using some scraps of skirting board he found in the shed, and some netting we got cheap from a local discount shop. He used two strips of skirting for the top and bottom, with the netting stapled to both bits. He's fixed in a wooden dowel at each side of each bit of wood, and drilled holes in the concrete above and below the door frame for it to fit in. The net is in two vertical halves, so we can step in and out through the middle, which overlaps a bit. It all sounds great in theory, but TBH, we need bigger dowels or something because the bottom bit keeps coming out. And I keep worrying that my 3YO is going to get her feet tangled up in it all as she goes in an out. There's the corner of a brick shed wall right outside, perfectly positioned for her to bang her head on. So although I'm proud of his efforts, we are looking at ways to improve his design. One thing we do have to bear in mind is the catflap. If we had something that closed like a door, it would drive the poor moggies mad trying to get through it :lol: :evil1: Especially when they come running at top speed from the other end of the garden and dive at it. :lol: BOING!! :laughing5: :laughing8:
Rosey xx

old tree man

One thing we do have to bear in mind is the catflap. If we had something that closed like a door, it would drive the poor moggies mad trying to get through it :lol: :evil1: Especially when they come running at top speed from the other end of the garden and dive at it. :lol: BOING!! :laughing5: :laughing8:
ha ha i can just imagine that Rosendula :oops:
i put the frame on three small hinges,top middle and bottom to stop warping, then in the frame and the screen i put two small magnets (like the ones that you have on toilet cabinets with the mirrors) so it clicks shut, all the frame is drilled and screwed for strenght then the mesh stapled, when we had the high winds it did'nt budge at all.
The screen just acts like a normal door, just make sure when you put your center strenghthener on the frame that i dose'nt get in the way of the handle of your door then both will open and close fine
If you want to put a cat flap in at the bottom of the screen door make a smaller frame (the same size as the cat flap)and screw it to the screen frame then staple the mesh to the cat flap, once it is secure cut away the mesh so the cat flap opens and you should be ok ...screen door with cat flap..after a short while they will get used to it just like the cat flap in the door.
I hope this helps
all the best
russ
:flower:
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

Rosendula

That's you, that is -->> :king:

Thanks for the help, Russ.
Rosey xx

old tree man

:lol:
Your welcome :flower:
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

QB comes back
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Well done OTM. It looks like the ones they have in Australia.

As for cat flaps, the **** cats can find another way. I odn't like cat flaps any more after my sisters's cat spent 30minutes teaching me to use one. I thought I was helping the poor animal. Turns out the cat was smarter then me and was teaching me to hold it open for her! :oops:

george
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Nice job. It looks great.

Shirley

That's great! Could do with one too - and not just to keep the flies out but the chickens too :flower:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

wow, I could really do with a screen like that for my livingroom. any ideas how to make one fit a pato doorway?!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!