Log piles

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
sleepyowl
A selfsufficientish Regular

Log piles

I've created a log pile in my garden& already after only a couple of months I have centipedes & woodlice in there as well as a collection of fungi, I'm impressed. So do any of you guys have log piles in your garden for wildlife purposes & what do you have living in them?
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

becks77

Re: Log piles

Hi Sleepy owl,
I rolled up some of the garden edging which is made of short pieces of bamboo and left hooked it over a fence post, they appear to like it have chuggie pigs and earwigs so far, but over in the log store there is much life..chuggie pigs, field mice, bees, alsorts :cheers:
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

British Red
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I have - I've a large stack of awkward stumps and trunks. All the usual suspects, but sadly no stag beetles yet :(
Com on wanre niht scriðan sceadugenga

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I have various piles of logs and twigs in different parts of the garden. The logs are waiting to be sawn up, the twigs are left over from pruning the trees so I shove them under hedges and bushes to create a habitat for wildlife. There's loads of insects, frogs and even a hedgehog around here.

Zoe

battybird

A couple of years ago, we cleared a space to park the car and, under the huge pile of pine cuttings, unearthed a nest of slow worms, a scorpion, centipedes as well as the usual earwigs etc. Oh and recently there was a ferral cat which had a litter of kittens in the woodpile for our burner! succesfully moved to a pile we were not going to use for a few months.
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

British Red
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

battybird wrote:Oh and recently there was a ferral cat which had a litter of kittens in the woodpile for our burner!
Been there - done that

Woodshed Invaders by British Red, on Flickr

Kittens in Woodshed by British Red, on Flickr
Com on wanre niht scriðan sceadugenga

battybird

Cute...we did not take photos as the mum had actually had them in a small gap between the logs which were in danger of collapsing and crushing them when we removed wood for the fire! Emergency removal took place into a black bin on its side (mum was off somewhere) and when she returned we made lots of noise nearby and she moved them to the other logpile, much safer! :thumbright:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon