Advice about perennials

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
misty44
Tom Good
Tom Good

Advice about perennials

I've been assuming that the perennials I planted two weeks ago and which are now approx an inch/inch a half high won't flower this year and would need to wait until next summer. On a plant and seed seller website they are selling other perennials and say they will flower this year which has made me optimistic about mine. They are

Kniphofia
Lupins
Monardo mix Bergamot
Evening Primrose

What do you think?

Misty :scratch:

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Advice about perennials

Lupins don't normally flower in their first year. Don't know about the others.

Mike

EDIT: ... and having said that, I checked. There's such a thing as an annual lupin which will, obviously, flower in the first year. I've also seen a report that if you sow early enough (early Feb. was mentioned, so obviously in a greenhouse) you MIGHT get them to flower in the first year.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

I don't have your particular perennials but I planted all my new ones out in mid April and wow have they grown???They all look like they've been there for years!Look lovely too!

bonniethomas06

Hi Misty,

Lupins definitely won't flower this year - if they do it would be a spindly little flower at the end of summer, which I would remove if I were you, to let them establish nice roots. But come May next year they will be lovely!

same for kniphofia, I bought one year old plants bare root in April and there is no way they are looking like flowering this year - I just want them to form a nice clump so that they will be decent plants next year.

However, evening primrose and Monarda I have grown from seed and seen flower the same year - evening primrose often self seeds, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck, sounds pretty!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com