Cuttings

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
Graye
A selfsufficientish Regular

Cuttings

I would like to take cuttings of various shrubs in our garden when we move. I've had some luck previously by just snapping off a twig and planting it (forsythia for instance) but I would like to be more scientific about it this time.

Can anyone tell me the best time to take cuttings of various things and whether they prosper as cuttings or would be better dealt with another way please? Unfortunately I don't know the name of most of them so I'll have to go and take a few photos but the obvious ones are buddleia, lilac, honeysuckle and orange blossom.
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Cuttings

Carol Klein was talking about it being a good time to take cuttings now (on GW last Friday) so that's fortunate isn't it! :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Graye

Ah! I saw something about a cutting from a rare plant but didn't watch it all. Once I know what we have I shall be off with my secateurs then. I'm not normally that lucky!
Growing old is much better then the alternative!

grahamhobbs

The easiest time is in the autumn when you can take hardwood cuttings of most shrubs. These are really easy, you stick 8" long cuttings, pencil thickness, in sandy soil protected from the sun and leave them, making sure they do not dry out, to the following autumn when most will have rooted.
You can take soft or semi-hard cuttings of some shrubs at this time of the year but you need to check the precise method for the particular shrub. It can be quicker but is not usually so easy.

Millymollymandy

I did that Sambucus Black Lace from a friend's garden a few weeks ago. Couldn't be bothered to look up what to do but what we did was exactly what Carol Klein did (PHEW!). However most of them flopped over drastically so we threw all but one of them away which is still upright.

Carol says that's normal and they'll perk up after a while. OOPS. :oops: :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

phil55494
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've never really succeeded with cuttings so my advice is to take many more than you think you'll need. If they all take, well done. If only one takes, you're doing better than me!

pops
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

don't try to get away without rooting hormone powder!
it's only a few quid for a pot and while some things will take happily without, most don't and you may as well give them a fair chance.

boboff

Agreed, soft wood cuttings are best from now to July / August, then hard wood (take with a heel)

Aparently they do better with heat underneath, so if you have a propogator standing empty, use that.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/