Birds Nest & Pruning

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
AngeB
Tom Good
Tom Good

Birds Nest & Pruning

I was wondering if anyone might know how you can tell if a birds nest is being used? I wanted to cut back a bush that grows over a wall but there's a birds nest resting on the wall. I haven't seen any birds in it and have also seen a cat eyeing it up but I don't want to render the birds homeless if they are using the nest - don't think I could cope with the guilt lol
I changed my signature because it was rubbish; I like what you said

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Birds Nest & Pruning

I know this feeling - and that's precisely why I ended up with rampant ivy all over my fence :iconbiggrin:

If there's nothing in the nest, now is actually the right time to do what you need to do - the birdies will simply build another nest somewhere else. I know the birds own the place, but sometimes you have to assert your squatters' rights.

Mike

EDIT: Actually, a lot of birds build several nests and then choose the best one to lay their eggs in - leaving you as a nervous wreck with an empty nest you desperately try not to disturb.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

AngeB
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Birds Nest & Pruning

Thanks Mike, I had no idea birds did that - I shall be getting my shears out today safe in the knowledge that I'm probably saving the birds from the cat anyway :cheers:
I changed my signature because it was rubbish; I like what you said