GIMPshop

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

GIMPshop

no, nothing dirty.
i gots me some gimp... having a hard time getting used to it again (gave up last time) but i have heard about GIMPshop- a skin or plugin that makes GIMP look more like photoshop...
tried the gimpshop website but their downloader looks decidedly fishy to me. anybody tried it?
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Martin

f you're used to windows downloads, things like Gimp downloads look a bit geekish at times - you'll be fine! :wink:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

mrsflibble

it's not the geekish i find worrying, it's the possible p2p file sharing I don't like.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very

Martin

if it's for windoze..........http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html :dave:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.

mrsflibble

ta, but I have the normal standard version of gimp, i am trying to get the version that looks more like photoshop lol! finding it really hard to get started on the normal gimp window.

Martin

just open an image - then all becomes clear.......... :wink:

Millymollymandy

Gimp - did you know that is a sort of narrow fabric frieze that you put around the top of walls to hide where you cut the wallpaper very very badly - or at least that's what they do in France........ :shock:

wulf

It shouldn't take too long to get used to the Gimp interface - the only benefit I can think of for GIMPShop is if you are already an experience Photoshop user (although, even there, I suspect the differences would be all too obvious).

With the Gimp you have one or more floating windows with information about the image you are editing and the options you have selected plus one or more pictures open (each in its own window). For working on a picture, you can use the buttons on the main Gimp control box as well as the menu commands at the top of the image window.

Beyond that, it is more likely to be the concepts, like working with a picture split into different layers, that is harder to get your head round but that would also be true of Photoshop.

Wulf

ps. I have used Photoshop, although some time ago now, as well as various other image manipulation programs apart from the Gimp. They are either very basic (eg. MS Paint) or take some time to get used to (but become incredibly rewarding).
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

mrsflibble

I'm still having a really hard time trying to get to grips with GIMP and was hoping something would make my transition a bit easier. i kind of wish i didnt know as mucha bout photoshop as i do cos then I'd have no pre existing information to contradict the workings of a different interface.

wulf

What are you hitting as a "roadblock"?

Wulf

mrsflibble

finding everything lol!
and I closed the window with the colour pallete and layers in and now can't seem to reinstate it.

wulf

When you have an image open, you should be able to track down everything you need. For example, look under the Dialogs menu and you'll find the layers palette.

It will open in a new window but you can include it as a permanent tab on the main Gimp window. Click just below the title of the dialog window and you should be able to drag and drop over to the main window.

It seems instinctive to me but I'm sure it gets illustrated online somewhere (try the manual for this "docking" concept).

Wulf