Connection speed question

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Connection speed question

Hi

I've been having big problems with my bt broadband (again) - we've got a bt broadband home hub which means we can use a phone on the internet... our speed is up to 512 kbps. I've just ran three tests and reported them to BT and they say that they are acceptable....

1st was 0.137 megabits per second
2nd was 0.221 megabits per second
3rd was 0.152 megabits per second.

How do these speeds compare to 512 kbps (YES they did say UP TO but we've had speeds of 492 kbps before now.)

I've done all their tests - ie checking that firewall isn't set to max, emptied temp internet files and recycle bin, unplugged the hub, unplugged the computer, unplugged all cables and started again.

One of the other problems is that the broadband drops out a lot... different times of the day, and sometimes it can happen 10 or more times in a row. IRRITATING!

The home phone does have a bit of a buzz on the line... no doubt once btbroadband have exhausted all possibilities I'll be referred to BT instead.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

revdode
Tom Good
Tom Good

Sounds like it might be a line problem. We had similar problems, dropped lines, buzzing on the phone and bad data rates although at the time I wasn't using BT broadband, Getting stuck between Pipex and BTs customer service was no fun at all. I may have had to exagerate just a little to get them out to look at the line although when we finally got a BT engineer she sorted it out in next to no time. The cable insulation had split and it was falling apart internally, must have been filling with water everytime it rained.