For all you Linux fans ...

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

For all you Linux fans ...

Ok - I finally found an Ubuntu distribution which looked like what I want, so I downloaded it. My intention is, at least temporarily, to use it as a live disk rather than a replacement for Windows, so I burned the ISO to a CD (for those thinking of doing the same thing, don't even think about using Nero - it gives a burn failure every single time. I downloaded InfraRecorder and that did it without a hiccup). So, after a reboot with the disk in the drive, up came Ubuntu and it appeared to have successfully recognised all of my peripherals. That includes my BT router.

Having recognised the router, I thought I'd try the Internet (this Ubuntu distribution comes complete with Firefox). It worked. I found Ish, logged on, read a few things and logged off. My puzzle is that I have a BT account but never once did I see that getting in the way. I didn't have to sign on to BT Yahoo so I never used any password - yet there I was on the net, basically using my broadband facilities without apparent recourse to BT. So you can guess the question ...

How is this happening? Has Ubuntu read my Windows setup files and decided it knows what it's doing (it happily read everything else to do with my Windows installation)? Does Ubuntu automatically log me into BT Yahoo? If not, how am I paying for this Ubuntu internet connection?

C'mon Mr. Headstrong - I need your brains :iconbiggrin:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

John Headstrong

Re: For all you Linux fans ...

your router has the ADSL connection settings, not your computer.

all ubuntu looks for is a internet gateway, the router don't care if it is a windows machine, mac or ubuntu, it just gives it a address and lets it onto the net.

oh, and welcome to the land of Ubuntu!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi John.

I think what you're saying is that anything going via the router will be recognised by BT and will therefore be included as per normal on my account. So I don't have anything to worry about. Yes?

Mike

John Headstrong

MKG wrote:Hi John.

I think what you're saying is that anything going via the router will be recognised by BT and will therefore be included as per normal on my account. So I don't have anything to worry about. Yes?

Mike

yes. nothing to worry about, all is good.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh joy - the world looks a little different at last!!!!!

Thanks, John.

Mike

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, after failing to break Ubuntu despite really trying, I've taken the plunge and totally replaced Vista. No bother yet, apart from not being able to work out how to install software which isn't in the "approved" repositories. I'm sure I'll click soon. But there appears to be no resident font manager, which is a tad annoying (and the one I'd like is not in those damned repositories!!!).

All in all, though, everything major is there and working. Most things look a little different, which I will be able to sort with ... errrm ... a font manager. Blender refuses to install at all, but it will. IT WILL!!! Open Office works as well as it does under Vista, and Internet access is appreciably faster (but I can't work out why it should be). Overall, I think I'm a reasonably happy bunny.

Anyone's advice on security (firewall, AV etc.) would be welcome.

Mike

EDIT: Blender did install eventually!
Last edited by MKG on Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave45
A selfsufficientish Regular

currently using Puppy linux - which is pretty neat too, and works well on old recycled kit :-)

phil55494
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

For a firewall on Ubuntu, it's already built in. Configuring it needs to use Gufw (or ufw if you're a command line sort of chap) according to the Ubuntu documentation - it's in the section Keeping Your Computer Safe.

Enjoy the world from a different viewpoint. I've used all sorts of OSs over the years and these days they all do pretty much of a muchness these days as long as you can get the software you want.

Mac OS X at work, Vista, Win 98 and some linux distribution I can't remember at home, Symbian on my Phone...

nyghtowl
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 51°53'N
longitude: 02°15'W

MKG wrote:Well, after failing to break Ubuntu despite really trying, I've taken the plunge and totally replaced Vista. No bother yet, apart from not being able to work out how to install software which isn't in the "approved" repositories. I'm sure I'll click soon. But there appears to be no resident font manager, which is a tad annoying (and the one I'd like is not in those damned repositories!!!).
Try http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/sources for instructions on enabling restricted etc...
MKG wrote: Anyone's advice on security (firewall, AV etc.) would be welcome.

Mike

EDIT: Blender did install eventually!
Someone above mentioned howto re: firewall.
AV is really not needed on a linux box. :)

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi, nyghtowl, and thanks.

I'd found out about the intrinsic security of Linux, but the link you provided is going to be very useful. Of course, after going whole hog for Ubuntu, I discovered that my favourite audio application - Reaper - was Windows only. Luckily, it's one of the applications which works under WINE well - I see no latency at all.

The big, big puzzle at the moment is how to use software which has been developed beyond the repository stage, Blender being a fine example. If I install from the repositories, I end up with a very old version with a naff UI. If I install by forcing Ubuntu to do what it's told, I end up with some files which I would like to modify in a place which Ubuntu treats like Dartmoor prison in reverse - I can't get in (yes, I realise that this is the intrinsic security I've mentioned, but I cannot yet see a way to do what I want).

All solutions will be found, and I'm not particularly held up by anything. In fact, I'm well impressed.

Mike

nyghtowl
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 51°53'N
longitude: 02°15'W

Hi MKG - you are welcome. :)

IMHO - I wouldn't go too far with compiling pkgs from scratch/source with ubuntu; unless you absolutely cannot do without said pkg.

After you have got used to ubuntu and are comfortable with it, possibly (if the feeling takes you!) look into a more... umm... geeky distribution like Slackware, Arch or Gentoo.
You can always make a dual-boot system: using ubuntu for your day-to-day system, and, "one-of-the-above" as a place where you can play to your hearts content with everything from compiling from source/binaries, up to recompiling your kernel for a more personalised and streamlined system.

If you do decide at some point to do that... be prepared for the most interesting and fun PC-Learning-Curve possible! Worst case scenario is a kernel-panic & reinstall. :)

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, well. Having just got used to Ubuntu 10.10, I went for the upgrade to 11.4. Quite a difference - but fun. And I understand this kind of upgrade happens with monotonous regularity every six months, aside from the very regular "ordinary" updates. It's a bit like a free upgrade from XP to Vista to Windows 7. Can't be too bad, considering it's dead easy to revert if I want to.

I have decided that Linux - at least Ubuntu - is very definitely a "good thing". All of the Windows applications for which I couldn't find a good Linux equivalent (surprisingly few) are now happily running under WINE, so productivity hasn't suffered apart from a tiny delay. The only argument I have so far is that the upgrade - without asking - kicked out OpenOffice and replaced it with LibreOffice. I understand why, and I'm happy with LibreOffice, but I think the supposition was a bit presumptive.

All in all, though, I'm a very happy bunny.

Mike

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, Richie - but I think I've seen every page of alternatives and then a few more. But, as I said, It doesn't appear to be too much of a problem. I had only two real application replacement problems - one because the Linux version available via the repositories was too old - now solved, even though the repositories are still behind the times - and a mere one because there really isn't an alternative - but WINE solved that (and it's an audio application and, for my purposes, there is no detectable delay anywhere, even though there's another software layer in the way).

Most problems, I found, are solved by asking yourself what you REALLY use something for - and, in a lot of cases, the bells and whistles turn out to be totally unimportant. Actually, in some cases, the alternatives turn out to be better (LibreOffice and Microsoft Office spring immediately to mind). The word "free" is also pretty impressive :iconbiggrin:

Mike

battybird

Okay MKG, my son has been banging on about me installing linux instead of windows and I was going to try it...BUT, even your explanations were "over my head" :scratch: . so I think I will just take the laptop to Thailand with me next time and he can do it for me! :oops:
He says it is soo simple...I am just feeling VERY old now! :shock:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Battybird - you can download (or send off for) an Ubuntu (Linux) distribution disk which will allow you to try the system out by booting the computer from your CD drive, without disturbing Windows at all (and then, if you want to, install the full system). That's what I did. But you can also get Linux distributions to install alongside Windows, choosing which system you want to use when you boot up the computer.

The only thing I was really bothered about was whether all of my "extra" bits would work (Internet router, printer, scanner, graphics tablet, external disk drive etc. etc.). It picked them all up without so much as a murmur. Even my graphics card was identified and accepted, although the driver that came with Ubuntu was very slow and I had to download a better one from the manufacturer's website - no great problem.

But do have a look on those links that Richie supplied and find out all you can about Linux alternatives for the Windows software you "can't live without". I run a lot of various bits of software and, as I said, there's only one I use for which there's no native Linux equivalent. But that's what the program called WINE is for - it's a Windows emulator running under Linux, enabling you to run the Windows software you already have (but not ALL Windows software will run using it - you have to check).

Your son's right - it is very simple. Just do all of the checking first to make sure that you're not going to lose the use of anything you really need.

Mike