NoScript

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
Ellendra
A selfsufficientish Regular

NoScript

My brother the tech genius just told me about this FireFox add-on, and I liked it so much I just had to share it with you! If you're in FireFox, IceWeasel, Mozilla, or others in that family, go to the "Tools" menu at the top and click "Add-Ons". From here you should find either a link or a search bar that allows you to search the Mozilla add-ons database. (If you find the link, click it and it will take you to a webpage with a search bar.) Enter "NoScript" into the search field, and the first one on the list should be it.

What it does is allows you to select which Javascript, Flashplayer, etc, etc websites are allowed to play. You can even allow scripts for one website while NOT allowing scripts for the advertisement within that website. Which means, no more flickering, flashing, noisy, headache-inducing banner ads, ever. Even the Google ads are gone.

I hadn't realized how much bandwidth was being eaten up by those ads! My browser was being kind of sluggish sometimes, now its just zooming!

I'm happy, can anyone tell?

Siena
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: NoScript

Thanks Ellendra. I just downloaded i there so won't be living in fear of being the 'lucky' one millionth visitor to websites anymore. Yay!

John Headstrong

while I understand your want to rid yourself of adverts, many sites including this one relies on adverts for some income, while it does not cover the whole cost of the server it does help towards running costs.

also I find flashblock addon more effective, it replaces all flash with a play button so that you can decide if you wish to view it.

StripyPixieSocks

NoScript crashes lots of websites, I used to have it installed and it drove me nuts!

I use AdBlock that lets you overlay for clicking flash adverts and the likes :)