USB sticks; portable apps?!

Tomorrow's World was a show on BBC TV about innovations and tech stuff and I thought a good name for our computing and tech section.
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

USB sticks; portable apps?!

James wants to fill his USB stick with a few games which he can run directly off the said USB stick. Has anyone attempted using this: http://portableapps.com/suite
is it worth while?! will it help?
thanks!!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: USB sticks; portable apps?!

I use a few portable apps. It's a great idea - but it works only with programs which don't need to insert entries into the system registry (or at least versions of software which have been rewritten so as not to use the registry).

Loads of fairly simple games fall into that category. I doubt that you'll be able to do it with anything which is at all graphically complex (you can't know about the graphics capability of the host machine) or musically complex (same comments but for sound card). Having said that, more and more portable applications are appearing on the open software sites, so maybe this is a growing thing.

Take a look on Sourceforge.net.
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

ethicalpc
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

The portable apps suite you mentioned is worthwhile.

The price of usb sticks make them very attractive - I've bought a 4gb one for about £8. At that price, they make great storage/backup and even allow you to set up a portable office.

Hope that helps.
The Ethical PC website: http://ethicalpc.com
The Ethical PC Blog: http://ethicalpc.com/blog

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

thanks guys.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

John Headstrong

I used to use portable apps when I was a student and then later when I was working for the college. It was very handy to have things setup to [cough] bypass [cough] things and run applications without installing then on loads of machines and it is a handy digital toolkit to help fix machines.

I had forgotten how good handy they where

right, where is the 1gb stick I had .........