Jubilee

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jubilee

Well, I'm a confirmed republican, but I have to say ...

Well done, old Queenie!!!! Any 86-year old who elects to show reciprocal respect and stand throughout all of that deserves my admiration.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Re: Jubilee

It looked amazing. And at least nobody would have suffered from sunstroke :lol:

Zoe

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I didn't see it this time, but I saw the original and it rained all day on that day too.
I have to admit I didn't actually attend the original, I saw it on TV. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

oldjerry

Has something been going on then?

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

ah! i can stand the royal family! such a drain on the contrys money. i dont want to pay taxes to pay for all the queens extravagancy! complete waste of money, and in a time when the contrys finances are not in a pretty state, all of these job and pension cuts and we have to give our tax money for the queens silly party! completly unnessesary waste of money! they whole royal family should be gotton away with, all the palaces ect opened up to the public to generate money from tourism, and the billions of pounds usually spent on royal this and that should be invested into the economy and into our contry to help us out of this resession, and also to fund sustainable energy projects in the UK.

but thats not going to happen so i guess the next best thing is for scotland to separate so we dont have to have anything to do with your blood sucking royals!
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Dr.Syn
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

So, your not very keen then?
Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.
Blog http://fredarth.wordpress.com/
Die dulci fruere.

Gra
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I heard they spent £2million just on decorating Tower Bridge for the day!!!

boboff

You grumpy arses.
If you can't say anything nice....Shhhhhh.
12p a year per person it costs to subsidise the royals, not allot really, she pays tax and gives us something to put on our stamps.
Yeah and the opening of the Olympics is like £30 million, Peanuts, to get millions of people waving flags and forgetting for a day that the country has gone to the dogs becuase Gordon Brown sold the Gold, then borrowed Billions to decorate all the schools, double the number of Police and Nurses, Buy some Nimrods and Aircraft and Aircraft Carriers, then bin them, approve plans to pay GP's 1/2 million a year, then let them strike because they have to work another 2 years! Yes thats it the Queen is rubbish, everything else is fine. Oh yeah and loose a couple of billion on Northern Rock, stick 80 billion into Lloyds and HBOS, when they made the most STUPID commerical decisions, yeah moan about the 12p a year per person (who actually lives in the bloody UK) has to pay to support the only possitive non political Ambassadors the country has........

Sake.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

contadina

I'm no royalist, but agree with Boboff, although it actually costs somewhere between 51p and 62p per person on latest figures. This is peanuts and certainly a lot cheaper than it would cost to keep a president, who wouldn't bring anywhere near as much tourism into the country.

I was really pleased to see pictures of family and friend's children having a ball at their various street parties yesterday, especially the ones of a Muslim friend's kids sporting homemade crowns. What's not to like about an event that brings people together?

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well said Boboff :thumbright:
Tony

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Well said, Boboff. I'm not a big royalist, but I'd rather have them than a complete change of country every few years. I think the figure is 66p rather than 12p but hey, still under £1 a year. It's estimated that the Royalty bring in about £500M in tourism revenues each year.

And they could just sit on their backsides and do nothing, but just having a HRH attached to charities is a huge boost, having them go off and do stints with the army, even Elizabeth during the second world war when they'd told her she was not to enlist under any circumstances she joined up as a driver and mechanic... there are much, much worse things that my money go towards.

I'll be off to our local park this afternoon for the big Jubilee lunch :cheers:

Susie

demi wrote:all the palaces ect opened up to the public to generate money from tourism,
I'm not particularly a royalist although I have to say I'm much more mellow about it than I used to be, but, aren't all the palaces open to the public anyway? Buckingham Palace is, I'm pretty sure Kensington Palace has just reopened (I remember reading about the wallpaper), and I imagine they generate a lot more money for tourism with a royal family in situ (as it were) than they would do without.

And God, I'm starting to agree with Boboff generally, Boboff have you changed or have I, because I find this all quite disturbing :hugish: .
blog
shop
that's it ;-)

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

I still dont like them.

if everyone pays 66p, as was suggested, per year and the total uk population is 62,218,761 that would make 41,064,382.26 pounds from tax money a year which could be spent on something better that is actually needed, instead of frittering it away on royal coaches with fancy horses and brand new outfits and jewellery for every occasion. even if the royal family was to stay, they could at least not waste so much money on superficial things. why cant they just live within the same range as middle class people, instead of having all this ridiculous amount of money and wasting on things. id have much more respect for them if they used all their money to fund charities and environmental projects which will benefit the whole country as well as individual people who really need helped out. im my eyes its just such a waste when theres people out there who really need the money for something life changing like a new medical treatment ect, instead of a ridiculous party.

and they have a number of big estate houses and palaces all over the place for holidays and stuff which are not open to the public. they could turn the big palace into a museum.

there are other contries who's royal family's live just like like normal people, in Holland i think, they could be more like that.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

boboff

Duke of Edinburgh Awards
Princes Trust
Duchy business awards
Head up most of the big charities in the country.
Spend 100's of day a year each opening, planting, supporting, giving.
Don't forget Prince Charles was Green and sustainable 30 or so years before you and I, and everyone took the mick at the time.
Noel Edmunds had a big estate and openened it up, with MR Blooby! It's not always for the good you know.

No you are right Demi, make them live like Bank Managers and berate them for not doing enough.

In Holland you can smoke Dope and Watch I could be a dirty spammer, please let one of the moderators know about this post all day as well!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

demi wrote:there are other contries who's royal family's live just like like normal people, in Holland i think, they could be more like that.
Have you ever wondered why London is full of American and Japanese tourists and Amsterdam is full of ???
Tony