So there go our woods and forests

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
snapdragon
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

So there go our woods and forests

Two pieces of news I read today
1. the current (greener than the greens cameron?) administration is putting all forestry commission forests and public access woodlands up for sale
2. They found oil under the forested area of the south downs which will apparently produce lots of oil, lots of money, and lots of destroyed 'new' national park which will no doubt be cordonned off for so-called 'safety' reasons.

:angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

I feel a Greenham moment coming on, and am ready to pack my tent and tree climbing boots.
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

oldjerry

Re: So there go our woods and forests

Hmmm.........I wonder who'd be keen to buy up land??(especially on the cheap).

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

The sell off of forestry land is quite old news snapdragon but there is at least one campaign going on

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/save ... s#petition

Didn't know about the oil though :(
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

happyhippy

My OH recently told me that only 8% of the UK is urbanised!I'd like to keep it that way thanks Cameron!Can't they leave anything alone??????People visit GB to enjoy the open countryside ect...........what next???? :angryfire:

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

So how about clubbing together and buying the Selfsufficientish forest? At least we'd all have somewhere to keep our pigs and chickens.

Zoe

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dear Snapdragon,

There are oil rigs at Northwood Farm, Forestside, just to the north of the Stanstead Estate between Rowlands Castle and West Marden (OS 120 757125 approx - because the headgear is moved around a bit.) Last weekend we were walking there and saw oil tankers in procession up and down the Stanstead Forest road every 5 minutes or so. I'm sorry to say that the South Downs have become the new Dallas!

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

becks77

Thomzo wrote:So how about clubbing together and buying the Selfsufficientish forest? At least we'd all have somewhere to keep our pigs and chickens.

Zoe
That's a lovely idea.
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

becks77 wrote:
Thomzo wrote:So how about clubbing together and buying the Selfsufficientish forest? At least we'd all have somewhere to keep our pigs and chickens.

Zoe
That's a lovely idea.
It is possible - lots of groups have done it in Scotland see map on this linky http://www.communitywoods.org/map/ - can't find the link to ones for the rest of the UK at the mo...

cocobelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

There was a really good article about this in both the Guardian and the Observer last weekend, it's still on the website, so check it out.
Organic Baby Clothes made with natural, sustainable fabrics.

dave45

I thought the Forestry Commission were the bad guys for replacing broadleaf natural woods with monoculture conifers for pit-props?

Eigon
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

You're a bit behind the times, dave45 - in recent years the Forestry Commission have been very good at planting broadleaf trees and increasing biodiversity on their land, as well as liasing with Wildlife Trusts - certainly in this area. It's the private owners who kept to the monoculture, by and large.
"The best way to get real enjoyment out of the garden isto put on a wide straw hat, hold a little trowel in one hand and a cool drink in the other, and tell the man where to dig."
Charles Barr

cocobelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

What's the update on this, I've been out of the news loop, but my house mate mentioned that the Tory's have backtracked on selling OUR forests - is it true, have they found a smidgen of a soul?
Organic Baby Clothes made with natural, sustainable fabrics.

yvette
Living the good life
Living the good life

Yes, they have backed down - but I doubt its anything to do with soul! I think they were a bit taken aback by the extent of people's anger. I heard Tim Smit (Eden Project) on the radio today talking about a different topic, but he was saying that the govt. ought to consider the 'emotional climate' before acting - they just do not seem to realise how grim some people are feeling,and how threatened. As someone said inan earlier post, its as though they can't leave alone anything that we value...

grahamhobbs

I'm cynical, the Tories backed down because their people in the shires started screaming, but they will be deaf to the ordinary people screaming about the NHS being broken up for privatisation, rising unemployment and cuts in benefits to the poorest.

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Grahamhobbs wrote:
I'm cynical, the Tories backed down because their people in the shires started screaming, but they will be deaf to the ordinary people screaming about the NHS being broken up for privatisation, rising unemployment and cuts in benefits to the poorest.
and I certainly agree. Just received a patronizing reply from Mark Hoban, our MP, telling me that my "understandable concern in this matter" had been manipulated by "our political opponents". I'm certain that he believes my "understandable concern" over education, health, library and social provision cuts is being manipulated by the same people as well and can be dismissed just as lightly!

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.